Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
hey, noticed something? I gave the car throttle in 1st gear and it hit a limit around 5200rpm. But after each consecutive gear it would hit a limiter lower and lower. in 3rd gear i hit a limit around 4200rpm. Would this be signs of a fuel problem? vacuum problem? both maybe?

·
Registered
738 Posts
any check engine light or pending codes? could be so many different things man. timing could be off, cat could be clogged, vacuum leak or incorrectly hooked up lines, bad ECM, etc. etc. That bolt missing could be causing the throttle body to seperate an cause a vacuum leak...... are you running any aftermarket parts like an intake? do you have the factory air injection system hooked up? was the motor from a 05-06 corolla XRS or from something else like a matrix or celica?

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
ya need to read the thread. code P0171 Running Lean

I already got another bolt for the TB, still a problem. Timing is fine, Cat is fine, Cant find a vacuum leak so no idea but they are hooked up right. I do have an injen CAI.

IDK what car the motor was from but I did msg MWR since I bought it from them and they said it wouldn't be a problem because internally they are all the same. I did get one with the same emission [2nd air injection just like my car had]

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
The problem is that it was running rich THEN

Replaced Fuel Injectors and Upstream o2 Sensor and now its throwing a code for running lean, the exact opposite. I suspect there maybe a problem with the injectors or a vacuum leak but nothing else comes to mind. Fuel pump was already replaced as well so for fueling issues it cant be much else

·
Administrator
カローラxrs
12,591 Posts
The problem is that it was running rich THEN

Replaced Fuel Injectors and Upstream o2 Sensor and now its throwing a code for running lean, the exact opposite. I suspect there maybe a problem with the injectors or a vacuum leak but nothing else comes to mind. Fuel pump was already replaced as well so for fueling issues it cant be much else
If you're running rich, the o2 sensor could be reading wrong? I'd try to swap the o2 back to the other one to see if the condition changes.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
no i meant i was running rich before I changed the O2 and fuel injectors. I also already threw out the old o2 sensor so rip. I am gonna try and put the old injectors back in and see if it starts running rich again. if so that probably means the injectors are bad/ sent the wrong ones

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
they are blue. got them from rock auto, company is standard motors. Found the same injectors on summ1t racing . com for the xrs so the injectors as far as I know are fine but idk.

also no on the o2 sensor but if wasn't working would there be other problems. it switches between closed and open loop fine but seems to struggle to idle in open loop so Im on the more vacuum leak side of things

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
why would they behave differently? I seen a few websites like mentioned above that shows that it fits the xrs version of the corolla.

Note that the new ones have 12 holes vs the 4 holes on the old one but I wouldn't think that would cause a problem [as far as I know more holes mean better atomizing the fuel for better mpg]

Is there a good reason I could give to try and get a refund from rock auto then?

Edit: Know any good fuel injectors? I dont want to buy OEM as its almost $200 for 1

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
right now its running lean, rich was from the old injectors

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
ok after some more driving I have determined I am a dummy.

Looks like its actually fuel. I took it driving, 1st gear I went very slow and was able to get to around 6100rpm before it cut off. [usually its around 5k rpms]. looks like it could be a fuel issue But I've already replaced the fuel pump and injectors, Not sure that else there is since the pump is basically an all-in-one.

Also if i floor it in 5th/6th gear to put a heavy load on the engine the P0171 code pops up so it looks like my fuel system can handle the load?

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
YAY, its fixed

Turns out the crank sensor wasn't wanting to connect all the way, [i shoved that bitch on hard] IDK what my mechanic did specifically but he got it to send signals consistently and correctly.

Also it seems rock auto send me the wrong O2 sensor and fuel injectors and my old injectors [maybe?] are ok. the part numbers didn't match up. from rock auto

But there is a new-ish problem. I am occasionally getting P0505 and it sometimes idles up to 2k RPM. it also smells like exhaust when I floor it.

Drives fine too. My mechanic smoke tested the car so no vacuum leaks and IAC is new and works.

I have theories.

1. the exhaust smell it because I have my muffler disconnected and the smell is coming from under the rear seat where the fuel pump is since theres a hole for acces.

2. the fuel injectors are fine but are high mileage and cause the car to idle high occasionally

·
Administrator
カローラxrs
12,591 Posts
The high idle could mean the intake manifold gasket is leaking or your IACV in the throttle body is sticking. From a cold start, my idle is around 1500. When you idle yours, does it come down from 2000? Where does it idle after that?

You can clean your own fuel injectors. When you said earlier your injectors has 4 holes, it already sounded wrong. Did you replace the seals?

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
ya, the seals on the engine and in the fuel injector have been replaced. Something is up with the wiring because I just fueled up and it had less than 0.5gal of gas but no gas light.

Intake gasket replaced already, IAC is less than 6 months old, I thought the 4 hole injectors were normal?

so the airbag light is on, door light is on, and fuel light wont come one. The idle seems to better now that I've fueled up but I do think that the injectors are either dirty or just worn out. Though it hits lift like nobodies business. it also sounds like lift is higher pitched than on my last engine. Im going to buy replacement fuel injectors from MWR instead of rock auto and get a refund from them.

The injectors are making a high pitch whine type sound so somethings up. only code is P0505 which I cleared and hasn't come back yet

61 - 80 of 123 Posts