Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
well I'm returning it because its not the right one, I was sent a part that doesn't work with the xrs even though its supposed to, I'll have to think about it

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I can get a set of QRP fuel injectors for $200 or OEM for $600, anyone have experience with QRP?

still deciding since its a lot more for oem

·
Administrator
カローラxrs
12,583 Posts
Here's a good read for the fuel injectors. It also includes a TSB for the Celica gts fuel injector issue. There's also a link to the specs if wanting to run the supra injectors.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
man after so many issues I got 1 left and I cant figure it out. P0505

-No Vacuum Leaks
-Fuel Pump/Injectors are good
-Maf is good but original so might replace
-All sensors are good
-IAC was replaced a few months ago

Heres the weird part. If the car if sitting. Idles almost perfect 1k rpm.

When driving, when I press down the clutch. The rpms drop to 1k then bounce up [since the load was lifted] and then idles at 1500rpm for a few seconds, then 1200rpm, then after I come to a stop [red light] it drops to normal most of the time.

It takes like 1 hour of driving for the actual code to pop up

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
ok so Im out of ideas. To recap

-Mechanic smoke tested and couldn't find a vacuum leak
-New Pump/Injectors
-Maf is new
-O2 is new
-IAC is Good

When driving sometimes the idle hunts around or is just high at around 1500rpm. If the car is sitting it will eventually drop to normal idle. If I unplug the IAC engine surges so IAC works.

Any ideas? I saw a post a while ago [cant remember] Where the throttle spring was either worn out or the idle adjustment screw was too high. I dont know if thats possible. I do notice that if press the throttle body closed the idle drops a bit. The cable is NOT tight, already checked. Will try the adjustment screw again and see if that help.

When sitting the car idles perfect right below 1000 RPM

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Also I have an Injen CAI installed. It occasionally causes p2440 like once every 2 weeks. Is it possible its causing the idle?

Its this one

·
Administrator
カローラxrs
12,583 Posts

The op found the clamps to the CAI weren't tight and allowed unmetered air to enter the system.

Can you confirm the throttle plate is completely closed when not running?

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
so right now I triple checked the clamps because that was my 1st thought since its not a perfect fit. They are fine.

The throttle plate looks completely closed when not running BUT some good news.

I found the forum with the fix for the idle I was talking about. They basically added a small extension spring to the throttle body to allow it to close tighter because the spring on the throttle body was worn out. I did the same and It seems to have fixed it. Will update if the code comes back.

P2440 has yet to come back today it does take a while.

There is another code p0455. 1st time seeing it and seems like it could be a problem. Checked the purge valve and its good.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Probably should've mentioned this earlier but Whenever I hit lift I smell something like exhaust fumes. Only when I hit lift and it doesn't last long. Haven't noticed any smoke or anything. I should mention that currently my muffler is disconnected. Still there just not bolted together with the rest of the exhaust.

Any idea on the smell? Is it somewhat normal?

Edit: not the clutch either

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Last engine code is p0455 with p0441.

Anyone know the part number for the XRS gas cap. I know its different from the regular corollas.

Also I noticed that when I'm turning and go over a bump/pothole there's like this clunk sound from my suspension. Any ideas? I think its the sway bar end-links because they are worn out bad. I have already replace the lower control arm, ball joint, and have coilovers. So its either that or the tire rod ends or something else maybe.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
its not my purge valve or gas cap. either my charcoal canister or the vsv on the canister [if there is one]

·
Administrator
カローラxrs
12,583 Posts
so right now I triple checked the clamps because that was my 1st thought since its not a perfect fit. They are fine.

The throttle plate looks completely closed when not running BUT some good news.

I found the forum with the fix for the idle I was talking about. They basically added a small extension spring to the throttle body to allow it to close tighter because the spring on the throttle body was worn out. I did the same and It seems to have fixed it. Will update if the code comes back.

P2440 has yet to come back today it does take a while.

There is another code p0455. 1st time seeing it and seems like it could be a problem. Checked the purge valve and its good.
Here's a good video to test the iac.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
hello, been a while. Iac is fine, its only a few months old and tested it.

I currently have a leak from my steering rack. I wanted to know 2 things.

1. Does the XRS use the same steering rack as all other 9th gen corollas?
2.How hard is it to replace? I saw a video on a Toyota sienna [I think] and it looked really similar

·
Registered
791 Posts
Is your primary 02 sensor ok/plugged in? And no codes? Did you check the ground connected to the transmission? I believe there's one on top and one in front. How long has the gas been sitting in the tank?

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
primary o2 sensor is new and definitely plugged in. p0455/p0441 Also strong gas smell in cabin after fill-up. Grounds are fine. gas is new.

I checked the purge valve and is seems fine and holds vacuum/is not stuck open.

New Gas cap. Hose on the fuel pump looks fine, I got a new fuel pump a little bit ago and a new gasket but maybe its not on right. My next task is to check the charcoal canister and vsv on it.

·
Administrator
カローラxrs
12,583 Posts
I've had P0441 in the past. But it wasn't in the vsv. It was the air injection pump vacuum hose that popped off under the tb.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
will check but pretty sure its on.

Also does anyone know about the steering rack and if its the same as all other 9th gen corolla's or if its different?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Steering rack is different. XRS should be a quicker rack.. I may pull one for my LE possibly. Just waiting for more XRS to get the the yard atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 123 Posts