Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks!
'98 Camry, 4 cyl 2.2, 287,000 miles here. Had it since 60k. Power and efficiency isn't the best anymore but all things considered I've maintained it well. After noticing an unusually short distance between fill ups, I suspected I had a gas leak. Once I parked it after the last fill up, I could smell gas, and now that I've let it sit for a few days, it stinks to high heaven. Gas has visibly wetted a patch down the side of my tank, at least where I can see easy.

I'm pretty sure I have a belt line leak on my tank and it needs to be replaced.
That's not too bad, $177 for the nice Spectra on Rock auto, but my mechanic is afraid of everything else he's going to find rotted out when he drops the tank.

So here's my question to you:
What else should I buy and replace while I'm in there? The pumps aren't bad for price, $60 or so, but the pump 'assembly' is $400, and it comes with some particular plastic parts and level sensors-do these ever fail? He also asked that I think about replacing everything that goes into the top of the tank- I'm not crystal clear on what that is from the graphics I can find. (I was going to link to diagram of parts on toyota oem direct dot com, but system won't let me for my first post.)

Cut off valve? Filter? (is that outside the tank?) Fuel pressure regulator? Fill neck?

What would be good to replace while he's in there? What have you guys seen when you've dropped tanks? I'm not afraid to put some money into the car but I'd like to avoid unnecessary expense.

Thank you!
Torg

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
all of the rubber hoses (vent line, return line (if there is one), fill neck, etc.), as none of them are going to come off without a fight

the metal lines near the tank should be inspected carefully for pitting rust, and it might be prudent to take them off, have them sand blasted (and then cleaned well) and re-painted to make them last as long as possible

The muffler may have to come off, so new gaskets for the joints, and new bolts, too, as they probably have to be cut off.

I can't remember if the tank can be dropped without removing the rear subframe or not.

Regarding the fuel pump: they last super long time, and can be swapped from the rear seat without dropping the tank (I think Gen 4 can still do that, Gen 3 for sure), so my thinking is simply replace the sock filter on the end of the pump inlet, and the access plate seal where the pump assembly mates to the tank.

(and also replace the filler neck seal).

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,750 Posts
This is incredible and surprising to me that a metal Gasoline Tank from a GEN4 is leaking.

I have seen the new car models with Plastic Gasoline Tanks to leak as they are plastic but, your 1998 Camry has a metal Gasoline Tank?

I would be darn sure it is your Tank before doing this job and yes, Gasoline is extremely dangerous so, I would be taking it to a PRO SHOP, I don't do Gasoline anything at home.

A1 AUTO has them and they seem to be the same for either the V6 and I4 Engine configuration.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,866 Posts
You should pump your VIN into here: www.japan-parts.eu

...to pull up the same diagrams the dealer has. Then you can make a list of what would need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
my SE Michigan (=rust belt) '93 with 200,000 miles metal gas tank has had various leaks over the pasts several years, at first it was the top vent pipe that holed, then the filler neck, and finally the tank itself.

Because plastic will never rust, almost all OEMs have changed to it to be sure to pass the no-rust-through in 10 years regulations.

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,750 Posts
Norm,

My lord! Those vehicles at Michigan sure Rust Away and my I say worse than Cocoa Beach, Florida!

Living in land approx. 37 miles in guess provides a good cover from Rusting. Just the paint goes due to the Sun!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Your leak may be from a poor gasket. Mine leaks only when gas tank is full.I have not yet replaced the gasket described in link/url

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
fred9x
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing