Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I THINK I need a new gauge cluster. My speedometer seems to stick up around 50-60 and will occasionally not move for a few seconds before dropping down to my actual speed. Other times it will seem really slow to come down or stuck for a few moments, and slowly move. It's really starting to bother me, along with my fuel gauge being inconsistent at best. What will go right into these, besides another Corolla gauge from the same time frame? Will Prism clusters work? Also, how would I adjust the odometer to match the current mileage on mine?

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
160 Posts
I THINK I need a new gauge cluster. My speedometer seems to stick up around 50-60 and will occasionally not move for a few seconds before dropping down to my actual speed. Other times it will seem really slow to come down or stuck for a few moments, and slowly move. It's really starting to bother me, along with my fuel gauge being inconsistent at best. What will go right into these, besides another Corolla gauge from the same time frame? Will Prism clusters work? Also, how would I adjust the odometer to match the current mileage on mine?
Sorry that your gauge is on it's last leg.
You can get an OEM used cluster via places like Ebay or at a local junk yard.
Unfortunately, the gauges from a Prism are slightly different and so they won't fit a Corolla so you're better off getting an OEM.

As for the odo, I heard that you can swap the odo from one gauge to another so you don't have to adjust the miles.
It's as simple as removing a few screws and that's about it.

I recently bought a gauge with a tach and that's what I'm going to do with the odo. I just haven't had the time.

JT

·
Registered
1993 yoda
201 Posts
yup, that false reading gas gauge has almost got me stranded 3 times now. says almost quater tank at start up then drive a few miles its on O. luckly the toyyodarolla seems to have a very gracious run on yellow-red safety built in. 8)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The odo part sucks then. I'm not sure I'll do anything with it for now as long as it doesn't start dropping off at lower speeds, but I at least know what will work now on it. Fuel gauge isn't a huge issue as I use my trip gauge to figure out how much is left in the tank, but the speedometer is what kind of concerns me naturally as it is quite annoying.

·
Saloon Fanatic
Mr2
705 Posts
Mine stays full for about 100-120 miles, then drops to near empty and I get another 120 miles on and around empty. When the light shows up I know I have about 50 miles left. Its been different cluster to cluster in the same car. I have tried 3, and this is what the current one does.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, it broke today; driving along and it was sitting at zero, only working once I got up to 60 (where it would hang for a few and then fall back to zero). Before I go junkyard hoping, I need a 93-97 Corolla, not Prizm gauge set right, given some parts of the Geo's electrical systems were different? Also, are the things I've read about the MPH gauge being off from going from non-tach to a tach true (may not be an issue as I don't recall seeing any tachometers in the local junk Corollas anyway)? Guess it's good it decided to do it after it passed safety inspection...

·
Saloon Fanatic
Mr2
705 Posts
Just make sure its the cluster. It could be the YSS (vehicle speed sensor). Id think the sensor would fail before the cluster.
The vss is on the rear of the transmission (mounted vertically) on the differential housing. It is below the throttle body. Should have 3 wires at the connector.

·
Only GOD Knows
Toyota Corolla
1,969 Posts
Just make sure its the cluster. It could be the YSS (vehicle speed sensor). Id think the sensor would fail before the cluster.
The vss is on the rear of the transmission (mounted vertically) on the differential housing. It is below the throttle body. Should have 3 wires at the connector.
Very true, this was going to be my next suggestion, my friends car started doing this and next thing you know, he wiped out the differential and needed to have his tranny rebuilt. Check your fluid levels asap!

the odo is part of the speedo, so you won't be able to swap that. however you can roll it a tenth of a mile at a time when its all apart and adjust your mileage that way....very very very slowly.
Not true man, I swapped my speedo, only a few screws, very easy to do actually. Now on the prizm speedo, I would have assumed they would still hook up the same but I have not heard anyone try this, the connecttions are prolly the same but it may not mount the same due to the trim pieces being slightly different between the Corolla and the Prizm

·
TIEyota fighter ace
AE101, TE72
1,943 Posts
You can roll it quicker than that if you take it all apart and lift part of the cam lever that holds the number drums in synchrony. You'll have to slide them slightly apart from each other so they don't interlock, and when you put it all back together the numbers may not be COMPLETELY straight across with each other but that's fixed after a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the VSS... I've not pulled it, but based on Hayne's description of it, it's something that either work or it wouldn't right? I read it as a pinion shaft spins a contact around sending on/off signals, and the interval of these signals is interpreted as the speed, of course I'm probably totally wrong there... but either way, I would think it only works or doesn't work right, and given the speedo does work at 60, is why I assumed it was a mechanical issue with the gauge. For the moment I'm just using a Garmin to figure my speed.

Transmission fluid is fresh and full btw.

·
Only GOD Knows
Toyota Corolla
1,969 Posts
glad to hear, well, my friends seemed to work intemittently for a short period, and then finally quit. Next day his tranny just gave on his way to work. It could be the cluster, I've heard of them failing also. The lesser of the two evils! :smokin:

·
Premium Member
14,694 Posts
Very true, this was going to be my next suggestion, my friends car started doing this and next thing you know, he wiped out the differential and needed to have his tranny rebuilt. Check your fluid levels asap!

Not true man, I swapped my speedo, only a few screws, very easy to do actually. Now on the prizm speedo, I would have assumed they would still hook up the same but I have not heard anyone try this, the connecttions are prolly the same but it may not mount the same due to the trim pieces being slightly different between the Corolla and the Prizm
huh? i never said that the speedometer would not swap, i said that the odometer is part of the speedometer unit in the gauge cluster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts