Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Other than determining an OCI or antifreeze contaminants a UOA tells you basicly nothing other than how good you're filter is working.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
452 Posts
Depending on the micron rating of youre filter some will collect more than others. I guess if you were truly looking at wear metals youd have to run with no filtering and then take a sample, but that wouldn't be a good idea either let along virtually impossible.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
From Blackstone-Labs.com: "Oil analysis is a quick, nondestructive way to gauge the health of an engine by looking at what's in the oil. People use oil analysis for different reasons: to see if there are any problems developing, to see if their oil is working well in the engine, and to see if they can run longer oil changes."
I think that oil analysis is great for a fleet of trucks so that they can determine if they can stretch it out an extra 20k miles, or if a certain truck can go another 100K miles before the rods and mains need changing. (amount of bearing metal suspended in the oil) (an extra 20K miles x 100 trucks)

But, just because the oil analysis readout says that you can extend the oil change interval from 10K to 15K.....are you going to do it? So when it hits 250K and the engine has low oil pressure or smokes...or maybe it is perfectly fine....are you financially ahead...or now that you are 70 yrs old...for the next 20 years??? I'm gonna do____________about the oil. (yes my sentences are long, but not a whole paragraph)

I think that the answer to the question is "risk verses reward"....and only you can determine the "final answer".

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Its easy to run without a filter. Surprisingly, havent see the negative UOA data one would expect from no filtration. Data without filter was just as good as a filtered run. Makes you wonder if no filter is better than pathetic filter.

Contents of a filter should be examined. That data cant be had for $30 like a UOA.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
From Blackstone-Labs.com: "Oil analysis is a quick, nondestructive way to gauge the health of an engine by looking at what's in the oil. People use oil analysis for different reasons: to see if there are any problems developing, to see if their oil is working well in the engine, and to see if they can run longer oil changes."
I am familiar with Blackstone, and their cult following on BITOG. But I don't believe that one can gauge the health of an engine unless there are some extreme problems like coolant or gas in the oil (although GDI engines typically have some small amount of gas in the oil), or other extreme conditions.

Specifically, the presence of wear metals in used motor oil can be extremely misleading, because some high quality oils have more detergents in them to hold those metals in suspension, which can lead to false assumptions about the engine or the oil.

The original purpose of a UOA was for fleet operators to determine when the optimum (in terms of cost vs benefit) oil change interval is, buy taking samples of their fleet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am familiar with Blackstone, and their cult following on BITOG. But I don't believe that one can gauge the health of an engine unless there are some extreme problems like coolant or gas in the oil (although GDI engines typically have some small amount of gas in the oil), or other extreme conditions.

Specifically, the presence of wear metals in used motor oil can be extremely misleading, because some high quality oils have more detergents in them to hold those metals in suspension, which can lead to false assumptions about the engine or the oil.

The original purpose of a UOA was for fleet operators to determine when the optimum (in terms of cost vs benefit) oil change interval is, buy taking samples of their fleet.
Point taken, thanks. Perhaps there is more value examining the contents of the oil filter assuming it can trap engine wear particles, though I'm not aware of any lab that does that.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Point taken, thanks. Perhaps there is more value examining the contents of the oil filter assuming it can trap engine wear particles, though I'm not aware of any lab that does that.
Motor oil companies do extensive testing and engine tear-downs to observe engine wear. That is the only reliable way to do it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts