Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping somebody could share their opinion on the issue I’m having. I have a 2015 Toyota Corolla LE and it was recommended to me to get the advance auto parts gold battery and that’s what I did since my original battery was leaking. I just got this new battery installed by advance auto parts 3 weeks ago and it appears to already be leaking again. Please see the pictures I have attached. So what are the chances this is a coincidence since my old battery was leaking also and there’s just something wrong with this new battery or can there be something wrong with my car that’s making the battery leak? The check engine light is not on. Please help.

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
I am guessing something is going on with the fitting on the hose next to the battery, not the battery itself. Are you having any issues with the level of the antifreeze in the vehicle? Hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few months ago my antifreeze level was low and I refilled it with the pink Toyota antifreeze and it’s stayed full ever since.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Id take it back with you're receipt and have store manager check it out. Weve had a number of wet batteries at our store, I don't know if its the angled rack, the way they're being shipped, the way their being handled, or just plain leaky cases. At any rate a new battery shouldn't be wet on the outside. Ive pointed it out to my store manager and he basically is uninterested in finding the cause. If you're battery is truly leaking they owe you a new one.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I've not used the baking soda method otherwise at most auto parts stores, hardware stores, and Walmart's they will have a aerosol can of Battery Terminal Cleaner and Battery Terminal Protector. You can also get a battery terminal brush to clean too after the corrosion is gone. Buy both and follow the instructions. Here are some extra instructions in addition to what the can says.
  • Spray Cleaner at both terminal's
  • Remove ground clamp and spray
  • Remove positive clamp and spray
  • Any corrosion should be gone, wipe it with a rag if you want to
  • (Optionial) Get a battery terminal brush and clean the terminal and the clamp
  • Spray both terminal's with the Protector until wet with red
  • Spray both clamp's until wet with red
  • Install positive clamp
  • Install ground clamp
  • (Optionial) Spray with Protector until wet with red again
I'm pretty sure my instructions are not clear but it you Youtube it you should find some decent video's about it. Otherwise like what the others said, take it back to the store and warranty it first. Though you should still clean the battery clamps.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The battery is under warranty. Take it back and have them look at it, and if necessary install a new one. Don't try and install it yourself.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Do you drive or park the car on any highly angled streets? Do you drive off-road or on any rough roads? If so, you many need to get an AGM battery, that is completely sealed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don’t drive on any off roads. I do drive a lot but only drive on paved roads and occasionally a gravel driveway. The street I usually park on is at the slightest incline but mostly flat.

I do wonder if the auto parts store knows this is an issue. When I bought it I asked if I’d get a replacement if it leaked and the clerk laughed and said not necessarily and said if it tests as a good battery even if it’s leaking, that I would not get a replacement which worries me because my last one (the original that came with the car) tested good but was leaking so that’s why I bought this one.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't care what it tests, if its leaking its bad. If youre oil filter is leaking its bad, the filter media may be working just fine doing its job but the filter is leaking, its bad.

·
Registered
291 Posts
One thing that concerns me about the picture of that specific battery, check out the indentations from the seperator plates on the top of the battery. That dont look normal to me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it bad there is the powder from the battery leaking, on the hoses? I’m assuming so, do I just wipe that off with a wipe? I wish I knew how to clean everything under the hood.

·
Registered
291 Posts
That powder is not actually powder, its battery acid that has turned that way. Best thing to do is mix up sine baking soda and water and wash that down, and anything else thats been effected. I'm saying baking soda because that would be the least caustic solution to wash the rubber hose but also clean the metal parts. Just wash, scrub, and rinse.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Did they check youre alternator before installing new battery? Beings youre old battery was leaking and new battery is leaking it could be that their is an issue with you're alternator overcharging and boiling youre battery. I'm still thinking its a battery issue though.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I don’t drive on any off roads. I do drive a lot but only drive on paved roads and occasionally a gravel driveway. The street I usually park on is at the slightest incline but mostly flat.

I do wonder if the auto parts store knows this is an issue. When I bought it I asked if I’d get a replacement if it leaked and the clerk laughed and said not necessarily and said if it tests as a good battery even if it’s leaking, that I would not get a replacement which worries me because my last one (the original that came with the car) tested good but was leaking so that’s why I bought this one.
It is hard to tell where the battery acid is coming from. It may be coming from the water fill cap. That can happen for a variety of reasons, such has hard cornering, driving on rough roads, over-filling with water, etc. It could be some liquid was spilled when the battery was installed, and after a few weeks the acid corroded the battery area (that white stuff).

Get the battery and entire area cleaned up with a 50-50 mix of baking soda and water and see what happens (an old toothbrush works well). Make sure no baking soda solution gets into, or too close, to the fill caps. Rinse thoroughly with water. Do not over-tighten the battery hold down bar.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Is it bad there is the powder from the battery leaking, on the hoses? I’m assuming so, do I just wipe that off with a wipe? I wish I knew how to clean everything under the hood.
Just my opin, but I wouldn't do any cleaning right away. Why...batt is under warranty. Have someone at auto store take alook. As mentioned, get charging system checked to be sure its not overcharging batt. Good luck on fix.

btw...already mentioned...baking soda & water mixture will remove acid. Also "spray type tire cleaner" on other parts fairly efffective, but not sure on acid.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Just my opin, but I wouldn't do any cleaning right away. Why...batt is under warranty. Have someone at auto store take alook. As mentioned, get charging system checked to be sure its not overcharging batt. Good luck on fix.

btw...already mentioned...baking soda & water mixture will remove acid. Also "spray type tire cleaner" on other parts fairly efffective, but not sure on acid.
Spray/Aerosol battery cleaner works good. I just never used the baking soda method and I feel a bit better with the cleaner and the protector. On that note, while I did notice the... grease... did the auto parts store add the grease there? I've never seen or knew that there was a... "battery protector grease" which I guess could be dielectric grease... The battery protector is just a red spray that coats it and is not as much as a mess as that grease in the OP's picture.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I just went to Advance Auto Parts and they tested my battery and say it’s testing as a good battery. See pic. And when I said since it’s leaking I want a replacement and I was told they will not replace it if it tests good and he even said he can’t confirm it’s even battery acid! I didn’t do anything under the hood, it still looks exactly like the pictures I took above. He then proceeded to touch it and say if it was battery acid he couldn’t even touch it and that the powder will be coming from both terminals and all over the battery, and that it would burn his finger. Then he said maybe it’s a coolant leak shooting up onto the battery yet my coolant levels have been full (filled it partially up months ago) and the check engine light is not on.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 93 Posts