Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Stupid question but now that the battery is clean. Can I use the CRC battery cleaner to clean the hoses?
The battery cleaner is an alkaline solution that neutralizes acid. If stuff on the hose is acidic, the CRC cleaner might help. But you can use just about anything, such 409, or any household cleaner (but don't use a cleaner that contains bleach because that could damage the hose). Soap and water might even work. But you will probably need some sort of sponge or brush in addition to the cleaner. Rinse with plenty of water.

I think you are trying to make all of this more complicated than it is. Just pretend you are cleaning up around the kitchen or bathroom. If the first thing you try doesn't work, try something else.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So does this look right? I appreciate everyone’s advice and it wasn’t a matter of not wanting to do it myself I just have a baby with some medical issues and can’t let him out of my sight and don’t have any help so I went to Walmart and they had new terminals super cheap so I decided to just buy new ones and they put them on super cheap too. The guy said the one terminal looks different because of the way everything attached so one of them is technically a marine terminal but said it didn’t matter (no clue). And Walmart put some kind of red spray on them (auto store used a grease). So just making sure this looks right. My car starts fine. Again thank-you for everyone’s help.
Looks good. Yeah, I'd say go ahead and use the CRC spray on the hose and rinse it off with a spray bottle, or water hose, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hoping somebody could share their opinion on the issue I’m having. I have a 2015 Toyota Corolla LE and it was recommended to me to get the advance auto parts gold battery and that’s what I did since my original battery was leaking. I just got this new battery installed by advance auto parts 3 weeks ago and it appears to already be leaking again. Please see the pictures I have attached. So what are the chances this is a coincidence since my old battery was leaking also and there’s just something wrong with this new battery or can there be something wrong with my car that’s making the battery leak? The check engine light is not on. Please help.
Have you checked out the charging system...is it being over charged? I would clean it up and the cables taken off and clean them thoroughly. Check the water levels in battery...are they going down during this time?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Have you checked out the charging system...is it being over charged? I would clean it up and the cables taken off and clean them thoroughly. Check the water levels in battery...are they going down during this time?
The retailer checked out the battery and alternator. The battery was only 3 weeks old when brought back to the retailer. It would help if people would read all the posts if they want to make suggestions.

·
Not as Happy a Toyota Camry Owner as I'd Planned t
7 Posts
When I've had bizarre things happen to parts I've bought at that store chain, and their employees won't work with me on the solution, I call their customer service number, explain the problem and bingo.... their district manager will deal with the solution and the useless store employees too! It couldn't hurt to go to an electrical auto shop and ask if they've ever seen or heard of this and if there's a chance that something having to do with the electrical system could be causing the battery's water to boil or some such thing. If they can give you advice and that advice directs you to the battery and not your electrical system being the problem, it might give you some ammunition to go after the auto store & get them to resolve the problem. Good luck...let us know how it ends up, okay?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
When I've had bizarre things happen to parts I've bought at that store chain, and their employees won't work with me on the solution, I call their customer service number, explain the problem and bingo.... their district manager will deal with the solution and the useless store employees too! It couldn't hurt to go to an electrical auto shop and ask if they've ever seen or heard of this and if there's a chance that something having to do with the electrical system could be causing the battery's water to boil or some such thing. If they can give you advice and that advice directs you to the battery and not your electrical system being the problem, it might give you some ammunition to go after the auto store & get them to resolve the problem. Good luck...let us know how it ends up, okay?
If the battery is boiling over, just like the previous battery three weeks prior apparently did, that doesn't sound like a battery problem. Sounds like a charging problem. However, the retailer did check the voltage on the alternator, but maybe they can try another store and have them check it again for free.

The retailer suspected that the nearby radiator hose is the problem. That can be checked by first cleaning the hose thoroughly, wrapping it in tin foil, and then if any more corrosion is spotted over the next weeks or months then look under the tin foil and see if the hose appears to be fine, or whether it is the source of fluid leak.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just replaced my ‘14 Corolla’s Duralast Gold from Autozone with a simple swap from a leaking 3yr old Gold Duralast battery. I did notice that in my car the battery bracket is a bit too high when bolted to the front cross frame. I had to buy a 1/4 inch spacer for it. I wonder now if the leak from the original Duralast was due to an overly tight bracket. It’s the same battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Just replaced my ‘14 Corolla’s Duralast Gold from Autozone with a simple swap from a leaking 3yr old Gold Duralast battery. I did notice that in my car the battery bracket is a bit too high when bolted to the front cross frame. I had to buy a 1/4 inch spacer for it. I wonder now if the leak from the original Duralast was due to an overly tight bracket. It’s the same battery.
Definitely could have been too tight. People don't realize these batteries are plastic, and when they heat up they can crack over time if there is too much stress on the case from the mounting brackets.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Definitely could have been too tight. People don't realize these batteries are plastic, and when they heat up they can crack over time if there is too much stress on the case from the mounting brackets.
Yes, I tried to push the bracket flush down to the frame but it did not have much give so I didn’t force it.

BTW, the 3yr old battery was still fine except it was leaking and corroding the bracket. I didn’t have to pay for a new Duralast Gold. Autozone honored the warranty from the previous owner. They just needed his name and phone number which I had from the bill of sale. Saved me $159!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81 - 93 of 93 Posts