Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey thanks for the add! I've been a Toyota enthusiast, collector for a quite a while now. have had all sorts of classics but currently loving the 80's models. They don't make em like they used to! I was fortunate enough to come across a sweet camry alltrac and I had to have it. It's got a slight rod knock so I'm looking for a short block. Found a 3sfe from same year camry FWD.. my question is.. how much different is the 3sfe in alltrac vs fwd vs rav4? Engine mounts? T case mounts? I've gotten some great insight from the alltrac.net forum and was directed here! Any experience would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
797 Posts
@white90dx Would you mind helping me convincing him to do the 5SFE instead of making the same mistake I did? :D

When I replaced my 3SFE the receipt I got listed that the engine was for a 4wd. The only thing that I can imagine might be different is the tapped holes for the transfer case stiffener bracket. ToyoDIY also lists different part numbers for the short blocks (11400-74070 for the SV25, 11400-74050 for the SV21)

Edit: oh, sweet wheels man. Love it. Are there spacers in the rear?

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,089 Posts
5s-fe is missing the bosses for the upper transfer stiffener and need grinding to clear the transfer gear housing:

But is otherwise a good 'stock' options for ~20 more hp with no other changes. The mount under the power steering pump still fits just fine.

I don't have any real information on the exact differences otherwise for the Alltrac variant of the 3s-fe. It might be as simple as he crank being 8-bolt instead of 6-bolt...

-Charlie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@white90dx Would you mind helping me convincing him to do the 5SFE instead of making the same mistake I did? :D

When I replaced my 3SFE the receipt I got listed that the engine was for a 4wd. The only thing that I can imagine might be different is the tapped holes for the transfer case stiffener bracket. ToyoDIY also lists different part numbers for the short blocks (11400-74070 for the SV25, 11400-74050 for the SV21)

Edit: oh, sweet wheels man. Love it. Are there spacers in the rear?

Thanks for the reply! I will look in to the 5sfe some more! They are jeep wheels and they are on spacers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5s-fe is missing the bosses for the upper transfer stiffener and need grinding to clear the transfer gear housing:

But is otherwise a good 'stock' options for ~20 more hp with no other changes. The mount under the power steering pump still fits just fine.

I don't have any real information on the exact differences otherwise for the Alltrac variant of the 3s-fe. It might be as simple as he crank being 8-bolt instead of 6-bolt...

-Charlie

Very cool! Thank you for the info and pictures, Charlie!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.