Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, new here with a few questions if you can help. 1. Does only the toyota oil filter have the anti drain back valve in it to keep the timing chain taught for no rattle start ups? 2. At 100,000 miles can we run straight grade 30 wt chevron oil in it to get the pressure up a bit? 3. If the origin of the motor is unknown, what can we look for when removing the valve cover to inspect for timing chain stretch? Thanks for the replys fellas as I am confident you guys know all!! Tim

·
Registered
19 Posts
1- i personally cut apart a toyota filter for my 94 22-re and found no such valve, i've run fram for most of the 185000 mile life of mine and have had no trouble

2- i still run what the book calls for oil but i also use mobil 1 synthetic high mielage formula and a quart of "lucas oil stabilizer" every oil change. you can get it at auto zone or advance auto parts for about 7 bucks a quart

3- timing chain strech can only be measured with removing the chain, which requires dismanteling the whole front side of the motor. if you are getting constant rattle you most likely have a broken guide or the tensioner is not functioning properly/ is hyperextended. in either case it would be best to replace timing chain, sprockets and guides (they all come together in a kit for about $130.00 us) or just let it go. mine rattled constantly for about 6 years and never hurt anything

·
Registered
19 Posts
1. trd oil filters are still no different
2. brand preference is personal prefrence
3. timing chain replacement is an very involved repair, defenately not an evening project. to be done by the book you have to remove the head and pan, but a careful and patient mechanic can avoid that. Not everything has to be done by the book. God knows I dont.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts