Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new head unit. I want a Double Din, not flip out with DVD, MP3, Ipod input, Touchscreen, built in GPS (one that doesn't have to have the disk), and TV capabilities....Does one exist? I can't seem to find one with all the features I want. some have some things and not others. if you know of one, please let me know.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
check Eclipse head units it has what you want.. I installed one for my 05 db cab. It works great!! And has options to get tv on it..

·
Love the Tick
2001 Ford Ranger
286 Posts
The last I looked was Eclipse was discontinuing the 5495 which includes the hard drive and dosent flip out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can find basically what I want if I add on the external GPS and TV, but I dont know of any with a built in TV TUNER and Built in GPS without any CDs required.

ANy help.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bassicly looking for the same thing but I don't need TV what I need is something with DVI or HDMI input, and would like a touch screen. I don't need any GPS or anything built is I basscilay want a monitor to put in my dash.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm not sure but I thought that the new panasonic brands had something that has all the features that you wanted. I know that jensen does also. I don't know if jensen has GPS but it does have the other features you are looking for. And for the digital tv thing you will have to order one of those converter things. I hope it works for car t.v.'s though.

·
Car Dealers Suck !
651 Posts
I'm not sure but I thought that the new panasonic brands had something that has all the features that you wanted. I know that jensen does also. I don't know if jensen has GPS but it does have the other features you are looking for. And for the digital tv thing you will have to order one of those converter things. I hope it works for car t.v.'s though.
IT WONT

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You could just get an HDTV tuner which would solve the problem of the switch over. Most stations are broadcasting HD side-by-side with analog now.

It does truly baffle me though why you want TV in a truck. Is this your home or your vehicle?

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma
674 Posts
If you find a GPS that does not take a disk then it will be worthless in a few years??

New construction
Street name changes
Ownership changes
New streets
closures
etc
etc
etc

It might not be useless but it will be lacking...
besides without a disk all the satelites provide is a grid location??? If you had a 5 inch screen on the dash of your Tacoma that displayed 2 Numbers 1 letter, then 2 letters then 10 numbers, it doesn't tell you what street your on and where the next turn is all it tells you is where you are on the EARTH within 3 square ft. A disk with software takes all the info and turns it into "GPS for DUMMIES"

For the average commuter what does "38S MB 39746 99619" mean to you?
Thats what you get without the software if your set on MGRS using WGS84 Datum.

P.S. All you Lat/Long guys......:thumbdown MGRS! so much easier and faster.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would wait on the TV tuner. MARCH of next year you will see SNOW. All the networks by LAW are switching to HD.
No, All the networks have to switch to Digital Not HD, there is a lot of confusion about this. Also most tv's and I beleive any tunners that you buy today will have no problems with this issue. The only people that are going to have this issue are people who have old TV's and no converter box. Or if the network they are in is going to still borad cast analog. I know where I live that it will not be an issue untill 2011.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You could just get an HDTV tuner which would solve the problem of the switch over. Most stations are broadcasting HD side-by-side with analog now.

It does truly baffle me though why you want TV in a truck. Is this your home or your vehicle?

I watch t.v. only when my truck is in a stand still. You can't watch tv while you are moving cause the reception keeps changing. Its good to have when you are waiting for someone in your truck or if you are stuck in bad traffic. Although you should have been watching the news to check on traffic updates. It comes in handy especially when you are watching the big game and have to run to get some more beer.

·
Never Roam Alone
06 Taco
1,065 Posts
i would get a head unit without GPS and just get a garmin or something, you dont really pay attention to the GPS very much at all. i dont think its worth the extra mula. just get a garmin

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
New head unit

My wife has the TOM TOM and I like it alot. Does the built in navigation connect by satellite like the TOM TOM does? I like watching TV, especially the news...thats why I want it in my truck, I do ALOT of commuting on the highway. Plus it gives my wife something to watch while I drive.

So I have a few options that I am looking at so far. Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's they have experienced with these:

Pioneer AVIC-Z1 for about $650
Pioneer AVIC-Z2 for about $850
Kenwood DNX7100 for about $650

Which one would you get? Best Bang for your buck.

·
Banned
873 Posts
I like my kenwood.

no VSS input and no DVD for GPS... it can be upgraded with a SD card... so you can still watch a movie and get directions.

i really like the unit so far. but it doesnt have a TV tuner.

GPS, DVD, Radio, USB input, Ipod input, MP3 player input, reverse camera option, Sat radio option. i think thats about it.

cheers
Warts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tv Tuner

Do you happen to know which tv tuner you have to buy for the dnx7100 or the new dnx7120? there are a couple different tuners available from kenwood, but I dont know which one is compatible. Also, does it have a hard drive that you can save music too?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts