Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Camry LE 2.4L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody . Ive just joined this forum and am hoping for a group with other Camry owners and I currently need a little help. I received my 2005 Camry with the 2.4L well over a year ago with around 90k on it. It was very well taken care of, and not driven hard or much at all. Anyway, I recently noticed a leak around my valve cover gasket. So I went and got a Felpro gasket and went ahead and changed the PCV valve also. No real issues with the gasket that I see so far, so I’m happy about that. However, when I got it all sealed and bolted up yesterday , another weird noise appeared. Anyone have any ideas? I’m thinking spark plug issue. But any further help would be appreciated. Sorry for the paragraph

Link to iCloud video :
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive wheel system Gas
Motor vehicle Idiophone Musical instrument Auto part Metal

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mine does that too. I used a stethoscope and pinpointed to alternator

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wait. Urs has a grinding noise.. the humming noise in the background is what I was referring too

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did u look at the oring on the cap? Or check the pcv

The oil cap? Didn’t see anything unusual. I can look again. To be clear, I was referring to the high pitch scratching/buzzing noise. It seems to be coming from the engine, I tried using a stethoscope but didn’t help me much. I changed the Pcv valve, do you mean that new one could be bad?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Very possible. Since this covid 19 no one wants to work. Therefore more cheap parts get made. Try taking the cap off while running and see if it goes away.
Disclaimer: oil will spit out a bit so be quick

·
Registered
105 Posts
You used an aftermarket PCV valve, didn't you :unsure:

That's the sound you get when you get those. Go to the dealer, get the OEM one for $5, install it, noise gone. I had that same noise and it vanished with the OEM PCV valve. There's really no reason not to get the OEM valve. It's cheap and seals up perfectly

Edit: Wanted to add, we used to have 2 of these cars...now only one (mine). Both cars had a noise just like that and both had aftermarket PCV valves. Once replaced with OEM, that annoying scratchy noise went away!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You used an aftermarket PCV valve, didn't you :unsure:

That's the sound you get when you get those. Go to the dealer, get the OEM one for $5, install it, noise gone. I had that same noise and it vanished with the OEM PCV valve. There's really no reason not to get the OEM valve. It's cheap and seals up perfectly

Edit: Wanted to add, we used to have 2 of these cars...now only one (mine). Both cars had a noise just like that and both had aftermarket PCV valves. Once replaced with OEM, that annoying scratchy noise went away!
Yes I did use aftermarket. I had no clue about that making that kind of noise. That’s so weird 🤔. I dont see harm in trying it. Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My original plastic oil cap was damaged and seeped oil but it never made that type of noise.

Mostly normal 2AZ-FE engine at idle for comparison.

Thanks for the high quality videos👍🏾 I see you have an aftermarket intake too

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep that’ll do it. Swap it with an OEM PCV valve from the dealer and let me know how it is after!
Update. Got a oem PCV valve from the dealership, and to my knowledge, it fixed it. No more weird noises. Also you can definitely tell there are some differences between the aftermarket and oem. Thank you all for your help. Original is the gold and dirty one. Aftermarket is the bronze one, and the oem replacement is the silver one with green on the threads.
video link: iCloud
Household hardware Auto part Metal Engineering Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Update. Got a oem PCV valve from the dealership, and to my knowledge, it fixed it. No more weird noises. Also you can definitely tell there are some differences between the aftermarket and oem. Thank you all for your help. Original is the gold and dirty one. Aftermarket is the bronze one, and the oem replacement is the silver one with green on the threads.
video link: iCloud
View attachment 351855
Glad that fixed it! Enjoy your Camry! Some things to look into doing:

-coolant flush
-potentially replacing water pump and thermostat (these engines are very sensitive to overheating…if you have a lot of miles, these wouldn’t be a bad idea)
-clean throttle body (look up TN post on how to do that)
-Change PS, brake, and trans fluids (3x drain and fill for trans)
-enjoy!

These are good cars. Take care of it and it’ll take care of you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad that fixed it! Enjoy your Camry! Some things to look into doing:

-coolant flush
-potentially replacing water pump and thermostat (these engines are very sensitive to overheating…if you have a lot of miles, these wouldn’t be a bad idea)
-clean throttle body (look up TN post on how to do that)
-Change PS, brake, and trans fluids (3x drain and fill for trans)
-enjoy!

These are good cars. Take care of it and it’ll take care of you
Yes it has around 116,000 on it right now. I have bled the brakes and put new fluid in that. But I was thinking about doing the coolant flush. Even though it is bright red in the overflow tank. I’ve also sprayed the throttle body before, and replaced the MAF sensor cause I messed it up the first time 😅. And for the trans, it only drains out in 1/3rds? I have done another transmission flush before and it was the same way

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes it has around 116,000 on it right now. I have bled the brakes and put new fluid in that. But I was thinking about doing the coolant flush. Even though it is bright red in the overflow tank. I’ve also sprayed the throttle body before, and replaced the MAF sensor cause I messed it up the first time 😅. And for the trans, it only drains out in 1/3rds? I have done another transmission flush before and it was the same way
You’ll want to scrub the throttle body to clean it correctly. And yes, you’ll change roughly 1/3rd or 1/4th of the trans fluid by drain and fill

1 - 19 of 19 Posts