Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lease cars to Uber Drivers and just had my first Hybrid battery go bad. The mialege he was averaging seemed lower that it should be so I pulled up his driving record from the GPS and saw that he constantly rapidly accelerates the car, up to 80 times a shift. I buy Toyotas for the very reason that the drivers can't damage them but this is excessive so he's on probation now.

But this is my question.. Can constant rapid accelerations, 80-100 times each day everyday, cause a hybrid battery to fail? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,390 Posts
How many miles total miles does the car have?
Which battery are referring to.?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2013 Avalon, 239,000 miles, the large battery that cost $2450 to replace and sits behind the back seat.

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,390 Posts
The high mileage could be the reason for needing battery replacement rather than how vehicle driven.
Is this the highest mileage hybrid vehicle and the first battery replacement?

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Hybrid,
495 Posts
239,000 miles? Wow, that's huge, in my opinion. Adding continual full-throttle abuse to the equation, and I'd say this failure is acceptable.

Is there a thread here where high mileage Avalon Hybrids are documented?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I am not an expert on hybrids, but perhaps rapid and frequent accelerations does increase the number of drain and charge cycles, shortening battery life. I know that lithium batteries in general are often rated for the number of discharge and recharge cycles they can endure, in a addition to their total length of time used.

So if a driver is doing an unusual number of rapid accelerations, that is discharging the battery faster than normal, and shortening the life.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Blaming a driver for a hybrid battery failure on a car with 239,000 miles because he accelerates too hard is like blaming a 100 year old man for needing a hernia operation because he has too much energetic sex. Give the guy a break!

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Hybrid,
495 Posts
Blaming a driver for a hybrid battery failure on a car with 239,000 miles because he accelerates too hard is like blaming a 100 year old man for needing a hernia operation because he has too much energetic sex. Give the guy a break!
Read the original post. The owner leases the car to an Uber driver, who did indeed abuse the car. ANY car's longevity will suffer with this sort of long-term abuse.

So...NO..."the guy" doesn't deserve a break. He should be terminated (from driving a borrowed car!)

I'm still impressed that ANY engine would last 239,000 miles with continual "rapid acceleration."

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm here trying to find out why my 2013avalon hybrid only get like 30mpg. But after reading the above comment I can't 100 % blame the driver. Reason is I'm also a pretty aggressive driver maybe not as aggressive as the driver mention above. Having said that I do have a 2008 sienna with 370000 mile and no transmission or engine failure. I do know that it not a hybrid but it a toyota. I think that cause of failure is the battery and not the hard driving. Just my opinion but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rapid acceleration will result in the gas engine cutting in to supply the necessary power and will not stress the battery. At 239000, miles the battery is long past its warranty of either 100000 or 150000(CA) miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts