Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im trying to keep stuff as cheap as possible, but maintain decent sound quality...AND keep it simple, while conserving space. This is what ive worked up tonight...

The 2 NEXT amps should give me 160w x 2, so that should be plenty for the Type-X components, and hopefully will give me a little bit of a bump with the eD's.

im also considering a few other 6.5 subwoofers, but so far these are the only ones ive seen that can handle the power i can provide.

Im gonna wait probably till the new alpine's start shipping before starting, but hopefully ill get this done by say march or so.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
ooooooo looks cool

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
I'm not a fan of the idea of 6.5" subs. I think you're missing out when you go that route.

·
Del The Funky One
763 Posts
cam2Xrunner said:
I'm not a fan of the idea of 6.5" subs. I think you're missing out when you go that route.
How so Cam?

I was thinking of doing a similar install in my GF's car, and she doesn't want to sacrifice trunk space or anything, so I was gonna swap the rear 6x9's for the eD's. Why would this not be that good?

·
I smell McNuggets
1,011 Posts
Subs that small won't really give you that real low thump you want. The speaker size has an inverse relationship to the freqency level it is best used for. Thus the bigger the sub, the lower the frequency it is best for. Take a listen to an 8" sub and then take a listen to a 15" sub playing the same thing. You'll definatly hear a difference.

·
Del The Funky One
763 Posts
They say it has a low frequency response (down to 20 Hz, i believe) so I would think it would pick up the lows. Maybe not give the extension that a normal woofer would, but I would think the difference would be negligible, atleast to someone without acute listening abilities.

·
I smell McNuggets
1,011 Posts
My earbud headphones says it responds down to 20 Hz also...

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
I'm sure they can play low, but they won't have the impact of a bigger subwoofer. IMO if you have room for a 10" sub, why use a 6.5"?

·
Whats a Noobian?
camry 98'
218 Posts
there are 6.5 inch drivers that can put out a good deal of bass. dont pass off smaller drivers until you have heard them.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
I've heard them in a Tacoma install. They were ok but definitely not a replacement for displacement :D

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well see, thats the thing. ive got the room for a bunch of subwoofers, but im sick of not having any trunk space. I cant afford to have shit custom built into the unused space of the rear hatch, so why not use the spaces that are already there for speakers.

and from what a lot of people have said, these are very potent little drivers for their size. i know not to expect chest booming bass from them, but since ive been living without it for 3-4 months now, it doesnt really bother me. And who knows, if they suck, ill go to plan "B"....an all out fuck it with a 15" subwoofer.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can get an OEM subwoofer box from a tiberon that will fit back there nicely, but its only a 8" woofer, supposedly a 10" will fit too, but then im using a plastic subwoofer box, i have a feeling that would sound like ass.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Can't you just build one out of MDF? If there's any way possible, I'd highly reccomend it.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i can build a square box just fine, but that isnt what i want. I dont really have the skills or the resources to build something that will tuck out of the way.

this is what ive got to work with

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
What about a small thin mdf box and then cover it with a panel, similar to how BigLouBumpin did his trunk in his camry.

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
Lookin at that same Alpine deck too. Dirt cheap for what it offers. Only complaint is the 2V preouts but I'll deal.

BT Ready confuses me, will need to get more info on it.

·
That One Guy...
2001 Camry XLE
922 Posts
Going on opinion here, but to tell you the truth 6.5's wont impress you. They just dont have the surface area to make the deep toned note that subs make. Technically you cant call it a subwoofer really, because they sound completely different, but in a build stand point yes they are the same. You would be decent with 8's. I personally reccommend 10 or 10's because they move fast and can get low if need be. But like you said with space im not sure what would be a good solution. Only way you can avoid taking up to much space would be to probably create your own custom sub spots. But if you dont believe me or cam about the 6.5 play your component system for a little while and you will realise they lack tremendously in bass.. regardless of what freqency they may reach. It is true they get that low but the air movement is minimal meaning not much noise to your ears. You would barely be able to hear those little babies back there at full blast. Specially since you will be running quit e a nice set of comps up front with a good amount of power!.. idk thats just me though..

·
Audiophile on a budget
1,196 Posts
I believe you can fit 8"s in your rear deck... You're just going to need an MDF spacer (if anything)

There are quite a few 8"s out there that will give you considerably more pleasing bass than the eu-700s (which you already know, I think are merely decent).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts