Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! New member: just purchased 91 DX wagon 5spd with 206k. Have 2 rather small issues. searched and couldnt find exactly what these were.

1. Hood latch no worky. Not the in-dash cable latch but the 2ndary 'lock'. WD40'd the sucker like crazy and made sure the spring seemed to be working fine. Pushing it down is real hard. Went to junkyard and all 3 there did the same thing! Purely coincidence or is this a known issue?

2. RPMs pretty much stay at 2000 at idle. Yeah its been a little cold here, like 30s-40s since I got it but even after 10 minutes of driving one would think she'd settle back down to 1000+/- Searched on this one and heard could be tstat or just 'normal'...I'd lean toward normal if it actually settled down after a while.

3. (I know I only said a couple) Temp gauge seems to work on and off. After about 2 mins of driving it gets to about the 5:00 position (its vertical) and then after about 10-15 mins it goes back to 6:00 like its not working...but a little later its back to 5:00 or 4:00. Never seen it at 3:00 where I think it should be. Doesnt leak a drop of anything, adn yes all levels are full. Actually the coolant res is nearly full...quite a bit over the max. Should I drain a little? Read other posts about possible air pockets. Going to try that today but unlike the other posts it is cool, not hot and the fan doesnt seem to have a prob.
:confused:

Thanks in advance!

·
Homer Lusk Collyer
AE92
1,144 Posts
1. Hard to say... mine works fine but mine also hasn't lived through 20 Michigan winters. Does the latch not lock the hood all the way down? My brother's '76 Toyota truck has that problem also. I think it can be adjusted on the Corollas but I'll have to take a look for sure.

2. Not normal, definitely. Which engine do you have?

3. Could be a bad thermistor. Is the behavior you listed consistent or does it come and go?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ghostyman.
1. Works today...weird. Maybe something loosened up (only had the wagon for a week)

2. Don't shoot me... I don't know exactly what engine. It is a 91 DX wagon **NOT all-trac/awd. Today when going out at lunch (nice sunny day) idle was right at 1200-1300ish. Seems it is more like the threads I have been reading up on where these engines may be programmed to run a little high to warm up faster?? idunno. Not real worried about it at this point....unless you think I should?

3. Watched the temp gauge today and ystrdy: The highest it got was about 4:00 position. Never above that. it seems to drop off almost like it has a short or something. Could the fact that teh coolant resevoir is completely full to the cap be cooling it too much?

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,665 Posts
it is normal for it to rev high to warm up, once it warms up though it should drop to around 1000rpm, if it doesn't drop and stays around say 1500rpm all the time then your thermostat is dead. This would also explain your temp gauge going all wonky on you.

91 should have the 4AFE motor.

Coolant reservoir being full means shit, check the actual level on the rad, if you take the cap off and you can't see any then you're low... do this when the car is cold or at least cold enough. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts