Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Givin' the dog a bone
Tacoma
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just bought my first Tacoma about 3 weeks ago. It's a '05 black access cab V6 prerunner with a 5 speed auto.

Now my idea... don't know if it's been discussed before. I see everyone doing the black headlight mod, and I got to looking at my taillights and I noticed that it would be possible to do the same treatment to them. Anyone else thought of this yet?

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Thought of it? Yes.

But the brightness of the light is due to the reflective properties of the internal "buckets".. I decided not to try it because I'm afraid the tail light brightness would suffer drastically, even with some LED replacement bulbs....

·
Givin' the dog a bone
Tacoma
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyone good with photoshop who can chop a pic so we can see what the lights would look like if it was done?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
from what I can see the way my tail lights look. It looks like th lens itself is tinted the red.
So doing the housing black would look like brown probably.

·
Registered
448 Posts
55reasons said:
Or even a pic of the rear of the truck smashed all the way to the cab because somebody didn't see the brakelights?
:lol: If it does not have a DOT approval I'm not messing with my tail lights. Sounds like a good way to get a ticket. But hey thats just me. But if they made an aftermarket smoked tail light for these trucks it would look great with the front black headlight mod.

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
You are correct, the lens is tinted, but not as much as it appears. Similiar to the amount of dye that is in the turn signal diffusers.

I though about painting them, but it will, in effect, not only reduce the brighness of the lights, but the size as well because the light will generate only from the bulb and wont be reflected in the housing...

Good question for a newbie though, and I'm not saying it "WON'T" work, just that I haven't spent the time to figure out a way that it "will"...

I think, like your headlights 05XRunner, that once you paint the surrounds, that the lense would appear to be more black than brown because the black would overpower the slight amount of tint in the lexan.

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
dorkman said:
:lol: If it does not have a DOT approval I'm not messing with my tail lights. Sounds like a good way to get a ticket. But hey thats just me. But if they made an aftermarket smoked tail light for these trucks it would look great with the front black headlight mod.
Smoked taillights are easy....

I have all the equipment to do that at home.

Clear and your choice of color... Nothing to it.

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Dammit, now I'm gonna have to take them apart and find out for sure tonight.

I hate you.

05v6sr5, if it looks like it could work, and I decide to paint it before I put them back together, I'll email you the pics and any notes, and you can do the write-up...

·
Registered
2005 X-Runner R/R
85 Posts
I just thought about this what about smoking the fogs if you already did the black housing on you headlights? 55Reasons what all is involved in smoking the lens on lights?

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Well, first of all i don't recommend smoking lights up front anyway as eventually a rock will find its way to the light and cause a chip which will lead to a potential flaking / peeling issue. Unless it's a lexan light which will still chip, but offers better adhesion against peeling / flaking. Overall, I don't recommend smoking headlights or fogs.

For taillights, I pick the color of "smoke" (*edit* regular automotive paint, I use PPG exculsively) (I have done green, blue, grey, black, and silver)and mix it with clear so it's predominantly clear with a slight "hue"....

I wetsand the lights to get a good bonding surface, (*edit* also sand down any lettering textured above the surface to avoid "puddling") then spray thin coats until the desired drakness is acheived. Then I spray one more coat of straight clear, wetsand and buff..

·
Registered
2005 X-Runner R/R
85 Posts
I thought that the "smoke" was on the inside of the lens. That makes sense though about the chipping that if it was on the outside on the front lights.

Thanks

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
It depends on the application / color.

A standard "darkening" can be done on the inside of the lense. For both clear and tinted lenses.

If you want to go with a color on a tinted lense, you have to do the outside. This especially applies to lighter colors like silver, and or, if you are going to use color matched paint like metallics or pearls to blend it in to the factory paint better..

These trucks have tinted lense material which will kill the color if applied to the inside..

Get it?

·
Registered
2005 X-Runner R/R
85 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't do my taillights but if I had already completed the black housing on the headlight some smoked (Black/Greyish) fogs would be pretty cool up front with everything else being black.

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Agreed, but remember that there's no way to do it without losing some light output.

And my front end will be coming off soon enough, I'm not gonna spend any time on anything below the grill.;)

My truck is payed off now.. Time for me to get into some more drastic stuff.:D

·
Givin' the dog a bone
Tacoma
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
55reasons said:
Dammit, now I'm gonna have to take them apart and find out for sure tonight.

I hate you.

05v6sr5, if it looks like it could work, and I decide to paint it before I put them back together, I'll email you the pics and any notes, and you can do the write-up...
sounds like a good idea!

i looked at mine and i noticed that the reverse and turn signal reflectors aren't a part of the red chrome housing. they are just silver and recessed into the red. and the brake/running light is in its own sealed housing in the taillight. i doubt there would be any loss of light out put if this mod was done.

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
I'll give it a look, but I'm afraid that leaving the tail / brake light portion unchanged will result in the dreaded "altezza red circle" sydrome...

Like I said, I'll try to get one apart tonight.

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
And it's a no-go.......

The tails are not pressed together with a soft sealant like the headlights. More like a melted together bond.

They don't budge............... Not even with a screwdriver twisted in the gap.

Good idea though!

The end.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.