Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm in need of some help and this seems like a very good place. I own a 85 pickup with a rebuilt 22R. It has 30,000 miles and runs great. The problem is it has developed an oil leak (about a quart per week). Oil is seeping from the lower right side (lower left side if looking at it from the front of the engine) of the timing chain cover where it mates with the engine block. It leaks only when the engine is running. I have the factory repair manual for the truck. I can't find a diagram that shows a front crankshaft or camshaft seal. That is where I suspect the oil is leaking from. Could it be coming from the oil pump? I don't think the head is loose or the block cracked because it is running great. I'm on the verge of buying an engine gasket kit and removing the head and timing chain cover. Any help would be appreciated.

Chuck

·
Offical Truck Nut
1990 Toyota
428 Posts
oil leak

I do not believe that a oil seal is going to solve that problem , sounds to me like the timing cover needs to be tightened up,or someone did not clean the block or timing cover very well. did you rebuild the engine or did someone else do it . the reason I asked is some people do not use a timing cover gasket they instead use silicone gasket maker. some of the gaskets that you can buy are of very poor quality.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Harmonic balancer repair sleeve/speedy sleeve (seal saver sleeve, balancer repair sleeve,crank seal saver) slides over shaft:

Felpro # 16214=$5
Future # 21-2514 (aluminum shaft sleeve included)
NAPA repair sleeve # 99177 (Mack PDC,National,Car Quest)
Pioneer repair sleeve (Silver Seal) # HB-4133

attached with some epoxy or use Loctite 609 or 242 or put some red RTV and fill that groove before you put it on also look in the yellow pages under “bearing suppliers”.

For a picture:

http://chicago-rawhide.com/auto/speedi/speedi.htm

Front crank oil seal (front input shaft seal):

Fed Mogul (National,Timken Seals) # 710345
Toyota # 90311-45014 (brown, 7 mm thick) & 90311-30115, Chicago Rawhide # CR17758 (9 mm thick) or CR550294 (7mm thick)
Beck Arnley # 0522144
NAPA repair sleeve # 99317(rear),list price $68.10>$33.19 net Canadian $ and the seal was $12.10

Rear crank seal:

Toyota # 90311-80010,90311-80001 (the earlier 20R & 22R seal),90311-80010 (is the improved version. It is made out of silicone and has double lip for better sealing).

This info provided by EB:there are 3 versions of the speedy sleeve:

1)one is light steel with spray chrome flashing(yuk)
2)one is steel with chrome plating
3)and the good ones are all stainless steel and they are made in Canada.

http://www.barneymc.com/toy_root/techneek/frntseal.htm

Sidney® ™
Repairs tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home
E-mail:[email protected]
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia
Canada
1985 Toyota 4-Runner,solid front straight axle,factory cruise control,sunroof,22R-E,W56,RN60LV-MSEK,rusted rear step/towing chrome bumper with 246 000 KM

·
Offical Truck Nut
1990 Toyota
428 Posts
oil in timing cover

oil does'nt float in timing cover but it does pass through the cover (1) oil pump is bolted to timing cover therfore oil must pass through cover to get to rest of engine (2) timing chain is lubed by oil therfore it has to get oil from somewhere.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
yea oil does pass through the cover . you may just need to replace the gasket on the timing cover. it also could be the oil pan gasket where it mates to the pan and block. if the oil pan bolts were over tightened it could cause it to leak as well. i rewccomend changing the timing cover gaskets and using a very small bead of gray rtv permatex along the whole gasket surface on both sides of the gasket and on both gaskets. ive also seen the oil pump o rings become leaky. what i would do is go ahead and get the engin builder timing chain kit with the steel rail and just replacing the chain while its apart. even though its a newer engine it would in theory give you 30k more miles in the end because timing chains are what usually goes on these engines first. id also remove the oil pan and make sure its straight on the flange that mates to the block. get a good rubber oil pan gasket, not a crappy cork one. my pan was a little bit bent where the bolts had been over tightened so had to straighten it out a little it still leakes a very small amount around the crappy cork gasket i used. im going to use a rubber one next time. if you dont think you can change the timing cover yourself find a buddy with tools and buy him a 12 pack.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does one have to pull the cylinder head to fix the timing cover oil leak?

·
Offical Truck Nut
1990 Toyota
428 Posts
oil leak

no but you have to pull the distbutor out to get the top bolt out of the timing cover. also be sure to wiggle the cover from side to side not top to bottom . and don't forget to take out the oil pan to timing cover bolts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To remove the timing chain cover I need to put #1 piston at TDC, remove the distributor, timing chain cover bolts and oil pan to timing chain cover bolts. Right? Do I need to remove the radiator and fan to get the timing chain cover off?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts