Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought the car with a bad motor so i replaced it with a used low miles but it cranks and wont start... what can this be?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
First you have to see why it isn't starting. First remove a spark plug and it's wire and ground it on the engine. Have someone crank the engine and see if there is any spark. If there isn't any you have an electrical/computer problem somewhere.

If it has good spark, there is a fuel or timing issue. If the plug is wet it's getting fuel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i removed a couple sparks and it dont seem its getting any spark but its also not wet and i removed the hose to the fuel filter and it had pressure... so any ideas? thank you very much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
-check that you are getting fuel. pull the back seat out and remove the cover. crank the car and with ur other hand see if u can feel the pump running. if yes=fuel pump works

- take off plug #4 and point it really close to a bolt on the valve cover. have someone crank it over. if u see lightening bolt striking then u got spark.

-confirm that the plugs are in proper order and arent broken.

did u fuk with the timing belt?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i didnt mess with the timing it self but i did removed the distributor but up to my knowledge on that car you cant really put it back any wrong way... so can it be that is not line up right? bc i didnt mess with the timing at all

·
Just play along....
corolla
3,384 Posts
There are all kinds of different things you can mess up when installing an ENGINE.

Check and re-check all the connectors. Make sure they are plugged in ALL THE WAY.

You should have done some maintenance on it before installing like timing belt and water pump.

The check to see if you have spark/fuel and then correct timing

-SP

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so cam is on bottom or top? bc i dont have one for the bottom but the harness has a connection to it so is that bad?

·
Just play along....
corolla
3,384 Posts
could it be that the original motor is a 1.6 and i have a 1.5 and does not have a crank sensor?
As you're finding out you cant just mix and match engines. Just necause it fits deont mean it will work.

Engine management did a LOT of changes in the mid 90's from OBDI to a hybrid to ODDII. It your connectors dont match up and everything is there with the same color wires you 'll have to do some major rewiring or even change ECU's

I hope you do figure it out without too much pain.

-SP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts