Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying one. Never been a Toyota owner before.

Does anyone own one and what do you like or dislike about it? Anyone check out other cars in this class? How did Corolla stand up to competition?

Thanks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hey, spotty. I'm currently dealing on an '09 Corolla. If all goes well, I'll return with an update on my initial ownership impressions.

But for now, I'll give you my take on the '09 model. First, I'm a long-time Toyota customer. At the moment, I have a '93 Camry and an '02 Sienna. Previously, I've had a '90 4Runner and an '88 Camry. I'm sold on Toyotas. My Camry is the champ of the bunch with 266k miles of faithful service. Take good care of them and Toyotas will last and last.

As for the new Corolla, I am looking to replace the Camry. It was originally my wife's car and it's my turn to get what I want. I want a four-door that gets decent gas mileage. The type of driving I do is mostly highway, so I'm not interested in paying the premium for a Prius, which does best in town anyway. Plus I want a manual transmission. If the old Camry had a stick, I wouldn't part with it.

The only other vehicle on my short list is the VW Jetta TDI. It's basically the same car stylistically and is remarkably close on interior dimensions. The gasser Jettas cost more and do worse on fuel economy as they are heavier and have 5-cylinder engines. The diesels beat everything else, but the diesel isn't currently available (Fall 2008) and has its own price premium as well. Hondas are also good cars, but I'm more familiar and comfortable with Toyotas. I don't personally care much for Nissans (both mechanically and stylistically), but I have friends that are having good luck with them too.

I was really thinking I might catch a deal on the last of the '08 Corollas, but there was a key piece of information that completely changed my mind: the 2009 model uses a chain instead of a timing belt. Sold! The timing belts have been the one thing I've detested over the years. Any other regular maintenance I can do myself, but changing a timing belt is just beyond my comfort zone and I have to get it done by a real mechanic. With a timing chain, my new Corolla might not see a shop for anything other than tires for 100k or 200k miles.

Other 2009 Corolla features that have caught my attention (and keep in mind that I haven't even looked at anything else seriously so other cars may have similar standard or optional features): It's a little thing, but the aux input on the stereo is a must and is standard. The thing's got airbags all over the place. Anti-lock brakes are standard.

My only other comment is that I'm going to end up with an S model because the manual transmission isn't offered on the LE and XLE. I'm basically wanting a nicely-optioned Corolla with a stick. I'm not wild about the ground effects and the spoiler, but they're not hideous. I think Toyota missed the boat when they didn't offer the stick on all of the models. But they're not losing a sale to me because of it either.

Good luck with your search. Buy the Toyota.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The Corolla has used a timing chain since 1998.

I have a '99 LE 5 speed manual with ABS. I had to order it to get it, but it was worth the wait.

I too am disappointed that I can't get a manual in the LE, so I will also be looking to buy an "S" model. I also have a manual '07 Camry - very rare, especially in some regions of the country.

It sucks that very few people in this country want manuals.

I guess that your family and mine are one of the very few that drive stick shifts?!

·
Registered
400 Posts
The Corolla has used a timing chain since 1998.
Heh. Shows what I know. Or, rather, what some auto industry journalist knows. I'm sure I read somewhere that the chain was new for '09, but it was obviously wrong.

I have a '99 LE 5 speed manual with ABS. I had to order it to get it, but it was worth the wait.

I too am disappointed that I can't get a manual in the LE, so I will also be looking to buy an "S" model. I also have a manual '07 Camry - very rare, especially in some regions of the country.

It sucks that very few people in this country want manuals.

I guess that your family and mine are one of the very few that drive stick shifts?![/FONT]
I'm looking for something very specific, so I'll have to wait too. I've given the dealer the spec and we've agreed on price. When it shows up, I'm on it.

Driving a stick is going to be a lost art before long. My wife can do it, but doesn't like it. I prefer it. I just feel like I'm much more engaged when I have to move the gears myself. My kids will be driving in 2 or 3 years. I am going to insist they learn to drive a stick. Everyone should at least know how to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm thinking about an 09 Corolla. It seems strange that you still can't use E85 in this model. Is there a reason Toyota hasn't designed it for E85.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm thinking about an 09 Corolla. It seems strange that you still can't use E85 in this model. Is there a reason Toyota hasn't designed it for E85.
I've never seen anything official, but my guess would be that Toyota's official "green" strategy is hybrids. GM on the other hand is all about E85.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla XRS!
974 Posts
I've sat in an 09 Corolla as well yesterday but it was only a CE. It had a lot of cheap plastics inside the car.

I'm looking to get the XRS version, since it has the 2.4 engine and my Matrix is just getting boring...Good that it has 4 wheel disc brake and I truly miss them after I got my Trix.

.Eric

1999 4x4 V6 Tacoma
76 Posts
i have a stick corolla '00 and i love it i wont drive anything other than stick which is why im lucky that my brother has a 5 spd 01 camry and my sister a 98 miata 5 spd, but i gotta say i am really inclined to get a loan and buy the new ''S'' model, but i am kinda waiting to see if they beginf production on the S3 anytime soon, but my one little quirk is what the hell are up tith those 2 round reflectors in the rear bumper i think they look hideous on that nice of a corolla but thats just my take

·
Registered
466 Posts
Heh. Shows what I know. Or, rather, what some auto industry journalist knows. I'm sure I read somewhere that the chain was new for '09, but it was obviously wrong.

I'm looking for something very specific, so I'll have to wait too. I've given the dealer the spec and we've agreed on price. When it shows up, I'm on it.

Driving a stick is going to be a lost art before long. My wife can do it, but doesn't like it. I prefer it. I just feel like I'm much more engaged when I have to move the gears myself. My kids will be driving in 2 or 3 years. I am going to insist they learn to drive a stick. Everyone should at least know how to do it.

I think they meant to say the engine was new, not that the timing chain was new.

When I said I had to wait, I meant that I ordered exactly what I wanted and had to wait 3 months for them to build it.

My wife sounds a lot like yours - she's been driving stick for 2 years, but she prefers automatic. It took forever for her to learn, and she probably took 20,000 miles off the clutch, but now she does okay (still stalls a few times a week, and tries to avoid hills). Right now, we have stick shifts in both cars - the Camry and the Corolla. Yes, our kids will be learning also! They probably will get the 10th generation Corolla S manual, after it's 10 years old.

·
Bored Corolla Driver
2009 Toyota Corolla
346 Posts
Hello, guys!

I just bought a Corolla S 2009 yesterday. I was supposed to get the 08 version but they only had 2 left and they were hideous! I almost took the LE 2009 model... but it was really not what I wanted because the interior were either Tan or Gray! I want it black! But I really couldn't afford the S version because all of them had a sunroof which was way over my budget!

So I just said LE because it was what I could afford that was available in their stock. But then, when I was waiting for the paper work to be done, I decided to walk around the showroom and looked at the Corolla S that was displayed. I got shocked when I found out it had no sunroof and it's in the color that I wanted! It was within my budget! I then ran to the salesman and said I'll get this one! Woohoo! It's stick shift... which is somewhat even better even though I wanted an automatic one.

Anyway... I love the Corolla 2009. Tons better than the 2008 one. It drives well. It looks young and cool (I got the metallic blue one). I posted it in the POST PICS OF YOUR COROLLA in this section. :)

·
Registered
2009 Corolla XRS!
974 Posts
Where is the pix. I'm still on the fence about a Corolla. Has anyone checked out the Mazda 3 or Civic?
I too have asked about the Mazda3 Sport GT as it looks very stylish. However, I was told by several people that their cars aren't that reliable and there'll be a high maintenance cost down the road...Anyway, it'll be better to ask some Mazda3 owners to post here...

Anyway, the Civic isn't a bad choice either...

·
Bored Corolla Driver
2009 Toyota Corolla
346 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Made a deal on my '09 last night and will take delivery some time next week. Mine's not even off the truck yet. I did get to drive a base model with a manual tranny. I'm pleased that I haven't lost my touch with a manual. It's been 9 years since I had one last. I thought it was a very smooth engine and driveline, but I think the tires may have had some flat spots or something because it made thumping noises.

The driving position was comfortable and I was somewhat impressed with the back seat. It's not roomy, but it was adequate -- especially for the kid-sized people in my house that will most often be occupying it. Pics when I pick it up.

·
07 Tundra DC 5.7 4WD TRD
406 Posts
My short list includes the 08~09 Civic EX and the 09 Corolla S.
Told ya it was a short list. I won't be buying for at least 6 months though.
It'll be decided on test drives, looks and price.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla XRS!
974 Posts
Finally bought my 09 'Rolla XRS today!! I'm so excited but I think I'll have to wait for about 2 weeks before it comes. In total I paid for $27,500CDN with paint and fabric protection. The salesman offered me undercoating rust protection but it was way overpriced ($648CDN)...

So coming from an 07 Matrix is a huge improvement!!!

.Eric

·
Bored Corolla Driver
2009 Toyota Corolla
346 Posts
My short list includes the 08~09 Civic EX and the 09 Corolla S.
Told ya it was a short list. I won't be buying for at least 6 months though.
It'll be decided on test drives, looks and price.
I think it's just my personal preference... but I really HATE how the new Civic is styled. It just looks plain ugly to me. :disappoin

·
Registered
2009 Corolla XRS!
974 Posts
Well the major difference between the S and the XRS is the engine displacement...But I would think the interior difference is minimal (save for the sun-roof).

I like the blue so much (same color as yours) and it's really sporty looking. Anyway, I don't think I am gonna change the rims nor do any mods.

As you know I live in Canada and majority of the insurance companies do not insure modded cars (save for factory mods)...So I won't bother...

Will definitely post pics later on, when I get my car. So how's your S thus far? Any concerns??

.Eric

Holy crap!! I'm so jealous!!! XRS!!! What color did you get? Show us a ton of interior photos... I wanna see the difference between an S and an XRS! Are you going to change your rims?

Congratulations! :clap:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts