Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Single older women that buy the house next door. Do they come in non-freak mode?

I designate them Thing 1 and Thing 2. Thing 1 moved in some years back and believed, fervently, that she owned the majority of our property in the easement between the houses. I say easement, but after a trip to the City land office Friday we discovered that the houses like ours that border the arroyo in the back have no easements between the property lines. None. No use, no enjoyment, no drainage, no nothing. Actually works fine for me.

Anyway, Thing 1 is the one that is maybe 5' tall and poses life sized dolls all around the windows that look outside. She is a freak, but has been quiet since I shut her down on her property claim about 2 years back (this is the one that had the construction crews hook up to our water when she was getting her stucco redone).

Enter Thing 2. She bought the other house next to us. Four bedroom two story, just her and her rat dog (Chihuahua) that shakes constantly because it is afraid of everything. She immediately started having a ft about fencing in her property in the front, to include the small strip between our houses. That space is about 8 feet across at best. We were under the impression there was an access easement there to allow home owners to work on their home, as in scaffolding and stucco work. My house property actually consumes most of those spaces between the two houses, as opposed to the property line being down the middle. Kind of odd, but that is how it is. My lot even cuts out at an angle in front of Thing 2's front yard. What this all means is the Things only have about 2 feet of land on their side of the property lines whereas I have around 5 feet of space.

Thing 2 is putting a fence in between our two houses because, and I quote, "I am a single woman living alone and my bathroom is there and I don't want someone peeking in on me when I go pee. I can't open my window!" I wanted to say "Sir, calm down, we have been here 20 years, you have been here 20 minutes, and I can assure you no one walks between our houses to peek in that bathroom window." Did I mention Thing 2 is quite...masculine in appearance? Imagine old leather left out in the sun and rather abused for years. I shudder at the horror of watching her do anything that doe snot have many layers of clothes.

Here is the space in between:

You can see the survey post where the property line is very close to her house (the right) whereas I have the majority of the land (the left). Her peeking window is there on the right. We were trying to explain to her that with a fence there it would make working on the houses very difficult, especially hers, as you can't put a scaffold up. Measuring it we believe we can fit one on our side. She threw a fit and screamed and yelled it is her property she can do what she wants, blah blah.

That new looking fence: she tore down the fence that has divided our lots for the last 20 years that runs down the back yard, and had her construction guy move it into our side of where it has always been. She told me, again having been here all of 20 minutes to my 20 years, I was lucky she did not sue for encroachment since the fence was "on my property". I asked if she meant the fence the general contractor built 20 years ago when they built the two houses. It is a small run of about 10 feet or so, as the builder only fenced in a small portion of all the lots in the back. It appears to me it comes in a foot or so on one corner into my line, but I really could not give a shit other than to piss back in her Cheerios. I'll get another survey and if it turns out she had them build onto my property I'll force her to tear it out - this since she tore out the fence that was there already to build a new one.

Anyway, Thing 2 is adamant she is going to fence in the front of her property because people will try to break into her front window (her bedroom is on the ground floor right past that corner there), and she is a "single woman living alone". No one has even tried to break into that window for the last 20 years, across several home owners. I told her I would give her advice, which she replied "I don't want your advice", and I said "That's fine, but you putting up a large fence there in the front is giving the bad guy something to hide behind." The front yards are right up on the street and there is a street light right in front of that area, giving ample view and light to the front of that house there. With the fence going up someone can be behind there all day and all night an no one would see them. "Don't tell me that!" she yelled.

I wonder if it hurts, being crazy. Like, if there is a twitch or pain or something. Her construction guy and us have been chatting, he is a good guy representing a local long standing company. We agree she is nuts. She keeps trying to get them to do illegal things, like build across the lines into our property. She asked my wife "What's the big deal with a few inches, you can't just let me build over the line?" This from the woman that tore down a fence and had it rebuilt (in a day while I was at work) because she thought it was a few inches into her property. My wife let her know if she so much as builds on the property line we will shut her down. My wife is a planning commissioner with the City, by the way.

In retaliation Thing 2 has piled up some brush she cut and pushed it against our house, you can see there in the pic. She has taken all the rest off to the dump, but I guess she thinks she can pile up stuff against my house and show us or something. I'll just wait until her fence is up and give them back to her on that side of it.

I am surrounded by Things. Both single older women living alone, and both man haters from what I can tell. Penis envy maybe.

·
6,451 Posts
Hey, here's bright side. They don't smoke pot or do other drugs. Like my neighbors across the private road at our now rental. Otherwise, one of them is absolutely firm that she owns most of the cul de saque and her girlfriend, from one house over, acts as her sidekick.
It's hormonal shit, man. Old or not, they got to have it ever so often, or it starts pressing on their minds, whatever that is that women have for it.
Otherwise, benefit to that easement is - you can always reach out and borrow toilet paper right through the bathroom window, while sitting on the throne. And you do not have to mow 5 acre of ill graded lawn.
Life is good!

·
Registered
1992 Geo Prizm
1,213 Posts
I sure as heck am never going to make the same mistake as you by buying a house that close to others. lol

sucks, sorry you're in that situation. Hopefully the fence can be the end of it
Yup, did that when the wife and I first got married (was living in a trailer park, but owned the trailer). I'll never do that again. The closest my property line to my house is about 15 feet, and even then i butt's against a horse pasture. I didn't put the house there, as it was done back in 1972, long before I moved here (1988). They could have it another 10 feet off the line and not bothered me a bit. I mean I'm on 5.43 acres.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
City living these days, all houses are up against each other. We got a nice plot that backs onto a greenbelt, so love that aspect. And I got it for such a low price it sounds criminal (land plus the house built). I look at housing going up where the price is around 400k and the houses have that same space in between, on both sides, and have a tiny backyard, with neighbor houses close up behind them. Blah.

·
Registered
1992 Geo Prizm
1,213 Posts
City living these days, all houses are up against each other. We got a nice plot that backs onto a greenbelt, so love that aspect. And I got it for such a low price it sounds criminal (land plus the house built). I look at housing going up where the price is around 400k and the houses have that same space in between, on both sides, and have a tiny backyard, with neighbor houses close up behind them. Blah.
Yup, that's why I moved out to the country. However, the layout my of stuff (house, 2 1/2 car garage, 16 by 16 ft 2 story shed) is all up front on the property. I've been tempted to buy the 5 acres of woods to the south of me (with a deer run in the middle of it), so it'll stay that way until my kids decide to have it split up and developed (long after I'm gone).
I decided after living in the trailer park that I don't ever want to live that close to people (most of the time they suck). As it is, the guy across the street is my closest neighbor. He's actually closer than the guy (and his wife) who live next door to my north. My nearest neighbor to the south lives on the other side of the 5 acres of woods, and to my east, he's at the very back of my property. That's almost just the right amount of distance between neighbors. My good buddy lives up the street about 3/4's of a mile, and has 1 acre and his stuff is set up near the rear of his property, so his neighbors are in front of his place. That's the thing, township rules (laws) were designed to put space between houses out here, and only in the last 10 or so years (after water and sewer went thru), have builders been trying to build them closer together. You can tell the older houses from the newer ones, just by the amount of space between them.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thing 2 has the same ownership delusions as Thing 1 - must be a brain defect common to these kind of women. There was a Halloween party Sat night that a neighbor put on. I slept through it all but apparently Thing 2 called the police because someone parked on the street in front of her house. Like Thing 1 she believes she owns the spaces on the street. And like Thing 1 she was informed by the police that it is public property, the street. Apparently she got in a yelling match with that neighbor. Making friends with everyone on the street this new neighbor. What a joy she will be.

·
Registered
67 Posts
for the life of me i can't understand why the put windows in bathrooms.
when my master was done over the window was removed and we used the
siding from the back side of the shed so the fade was the same...windows in crappers are
dumb

·
Registered
394 Posts
siding from the back side of the shed so the fade was the same...windows in crappers are
dumb
I rather enjoy observing nature as nature calls. Granted, I live in the woods so if you want to watch me it will take some effort on your part. Also an open window can increase the efficiency of fumigation. If you think someone will watch you just frost the glass.There are a number of stick on membranes that limit visibility.

Reminds me of a story: A guy told me he went to meet his girlfriend's parents at their house and during the visit he needed to drop a deuce. Unfortunately when he flushed the toilet it stopped up and overflowed before he could get to the water valve. Faced with a crappy mess on the floor he elected to climb out of the window and leave. I guess the girlfriend was done as well. So in that case it was a plus that there was a window.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I rather enjoy observing nature as nature calls. Granted, I live in the woods so if you want to watch me it will take some effort on your part. Also an open window can increase the efficiency of fumigation. If you think someone will watch you just frost the glass.There are a number of stick on membranes that limit visibility.

Reminds me of a story: A guy told me he went to meet his girlfriend's parents at their house and during the visit he needed to drop a deuce. Unfortunately when he flushed the toilet it stopped up and overflowed before he could get to the water valve. Faced with a crappy mess on the floor he elected to climb out of the window and leave. I guess the girlfriend was done as well. So in that case it was a plus that there was a window.
i live in florida it's never below 90º so windows stay closed

·
Mr. Roo
Lexus IS300
10,939 Posts
Thing 2 has the same ownership delusions as Thing 1 - must be a brain defect common to these kind of women. There was a Halloween party Sat night that a neighbor put on. I slept through it all but apparently Thing 2 called the police because someone parked on the street in front of her house. Like Thing 1 she believes she owns the spaces on the street. And like Thing 1 she was informed by the police that it is public property, the street. Apparently she got in a yelling match with that neighbor. Making friends with everyone on the street this new neighbor. What a joy she will be.
At least they aren't teaming up against you or something, but are making each other's lives move miserable so you can just stay out of it.

·
Registered
1992 Geo Prizm
1,213 Posts
I feel sorry for you, as there's nothing you can do about it. At least she's making new friends with the rest of the neighborhood, instead of just limiting herself to you and your wife. Just think, in about 6 months, she can listen to you cutting up steel to build your trailer, or cutting up wood and brick for your house remodel. That should get both of them going because you're disturbing their peace and quiet. :)

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At least they aren't teaming up against you or something, but are making each other's lives move miserable so you can just stay out of it.
I think they have found common ground. Thing 1 works at an animal shelter and brings home loads of dying cats and dogs (Munchausen by puppy). She is the reason we have hoards of skunks at night as they eat up all the cat food she leaves out for the neighborhood cats. Anyway, Thing 2 apparently just got another shelter dog and I saw Thing 1 feeding it at her house the other day. Why/how Thing 2's new dog was running around and at Thing 1's house ?? But there ya go.

I feel sorry for you, as there's nothing you can do about it. At least she's making new friends with the rest of the neighborhood, instead of just limiting herself to you and your wife. Just think, in about 6 months, she can listen to you cutting up steel to build your trailer, or cutting up wood and brick for your house remodel. That should get both of them going because you're disturbing their peace and quiet. :)
I always derive evil pleasure when working in my garage/driveway with my power tools where Thing 1 is concerned as her house is feet from my work area. As long as I am not doing it past 2200 hours not a damn thing she can do about it. I am expecting Thing 2 to throw a hissy fit when I crank it up this coming Spring, and I will get great pleasure ignoring her.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,905 Posts
dumb
I don't ever recall seeing a bathroom window that was not frosted or otherwise blocked a direct view into the room, but that's just my experience. For the neighbor woman, would it be so difficult to install a frosted window, or else hang a set of blinds or shutters that will allow air to pass but not allow people from the outside to see in? I'm glad that dipstick is not my neighbor.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't ever recall seeing a bathroom window that was not frosted or otherwise blocked a direct view into the room, but that's just my experience. For the neighbor woman, would it be so difficult to install a frosted window, or else hang a set of blinds or shutters that will allow air to pass but not allow people from the outside to see in? I'm glad that dipstick is not my neighbor.
Thing 2, who is bat shit crazy, wants the window open for fresh air. No one, and I mean no one with eyes and that has an aversion to puking, wants to see her nasty ass on the toilet.

·
Registered
2005 Sienna XLE Ltd.
208 Posts
You can always get the split-pane windows for bathrooms etc to keep the airflow but retain privacy with frosted glass
Amazing that someone wouldn't realize how simple that solution can be, and frosted glass stick ons are so cheap and easy to do.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Y'all are missing the key point: crazy. Nutty. Beyond hope of rational thought. The window is an excuse in her head to let her bat shit crazy flag fly. She wants to isolate herself totally, a wall around her entire property. She buys a house in a neighborhood just to isolate herself from her neighbors. She could have put a trailer down on some land in the County and been away from everyone, build a fortress around herself. But insane people lack rational cognition.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts