Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Avalon XLS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a 1998 Avalon today. Has 280k on the odometer but it is clean clean and purs like a kitten.

I am not really a Toyota guy but I wanted to give the luxury side of Toyota a try without buying a Lexus. The only issues it seems to have is I get squeaking and creaking in the rear. I tried bouncing the trunk and it is indeed coming from the suspension. However, the car drives straight and doesn't bottom out. Very curious about this. I plan on taking it to the mechanic to get a full look over.

Everything works, interior is perfect with exception of sagging headliner on the sun visors. The regular headliner is fine. And I have a few lights out here and there such as the fuel gauge light and some lights in the climate control. Besides that, it looks good inside and out.

I joined the forum to network with fellow 1st gen owners and see what i am in for. I will post pictures in the next few days.

So.. Hello everyone!

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,665 Posts
So I purchased a 1998 Avalon today. Has 280k on the odometer but it is clean clean and purs like a kitten.

I am not really a Toyota guy but I wanted to give the luxury side of Toyota a try without buying a Lexus. The only issues it seems to have is I get squeaking and creaking in the rear. I tried bouncing the trunk and it is indeed coming from the suspension. However, the car drives straight and doesn't bottom out. Very curious about this. I plan on taking it to the mechanic to get a full look over.

Everything works, interior is perfect with exception of sagging headliner on the sun visors. The regular headliner is fine. And I have a few lights out here and there such as the fuel gauge light and some lights in the climate control. Besides that, it looks good inside and out.

I joined the forum to network with fellow 1st gen owners and see what i am in for. I will post pictures in the next few days.

So.. Hello everyone!
Welcome to TN!

Glad you tried Toyota out. The Gen1 Avalon is a pretty solid tank. Drain train is pretty solid minus the typical stuff with the V6 that might be an issue such as oil leaks all over the front and rear cover. The Gen1 Avalon and the Gen2 Avalon (to a certain degree) shares a lot with the Gen3 and Gen4 Camry V6. A lot of DIY can be used on both platforms when dealing with the engine and transmission.

Unless the rear struts (or struts in general) were replaced, at 280K, they are probably way past due. Squeaking noises are probably coming from the rear sway bar bushings. If you have rear wheel play at 9-3 oclock, the lateral links/trailing arms are worn out. Probably easier to get entire aftermarket assembly. OEM is insanely expensive.

Specific things I see that tends to occur with the Gen1 Avalon
-Headliner separates (you may be lucky on this. It starts to separate on the rear and around the sunvisors in the front)
-Sun visors separate
-Plastic surrounding on sunroof panel starts to break
-Rear door might start holding water. Try shaking the door if you hear a 'slush' of water
-Radio buttons might fly off
-Outside door handles may break

But yea, these things in terms of wear and tear...are thing you expect happen to a older car. If all the maintenance (timing belt, seals, water pump, etc) was upkeep with this car, it should be running for many many more years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here's some more:

--mice eat through the 5/8" diameter plastic tubing that drains rain water from the sunroof guide rails
--sometimes this drain tube simply self-disconnects from the nipple on the sunroof rail due to the lack of a hose clamp
--the speakers in the doors are toast. The foam surround in the speaker cone assembly turns to dust
--the motors that drive the windows ("window regulators") seize up
--the trunk fills with rain water, and possibly flows forward to the front seat under the carpet if the car is parked on an incline
--the flexible section of the tailpipe near the accelerator pedal burns a hole in itself, making the exhaust sound like a diesel truck
--the headlight lenses turn opaque due to UV exposure. (Luckily, there are cheap aftermarket headlight assemblies.)
--severe brake line corrosion in snow belt states that use road salt

But this is not to say that the Gen 1 Avalons are bad cars. I've owned a dozen of them and plan to buy another for my Saturday afternoon hobby rebuilds.

Jim Olson
Indianapolis, IN

·
Registered
2 Posts

So.. Hello everyone!
Hello and Welcome thejax!

I'm also a new happy owner of a 1999 xls Avy bought 3 months ago with only 105k miles (have 108k now) from an old Vet.

I hope I'll get 280k with it. Drives like a charm (smooth and quiet), just changed the tires, the 4 struts, oil and transmission fluid. I have the bench seat option one so 6 ppl can fit in.

This car can easily take you to another 100k if you do what kingdom934 told you. I get most of the tricks on youtube where there are a lot of info, even for that old of a car. Also watch the scotty kilmer channel.

I spray WD40 silicone on my rubber windows and plastic and AT 205 on the hose t keep them flexible.

You'll like this forum to learn how to take preventive actions to avoid problems.

Don't be cheap and change your oil frequently (3k), especially with this kind of milage. Oil is cheaper than an new engine/car

Enjoy your Avy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts