Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
We recently purchased a new to us 07, which my wife has named Thelma. Her nickname is Louise, so it works. :). This vehicle is a 1 owner car out of California, and has been well maintained with service records at Toyota of Orange to prove it. It has 163K miles, and other than some sun fade it's in really good shape. The mechanic I had look it over said everything looks to be in excellent shape.
Anyway, we are learning the new vehicles little quirks, and the first one to pop up is the ignition switch. Twice now we've put the key in and can't get it to turn. The first time it happened to my wife, and I chalked it up to the steering wheel lock being the culprit. However, tonight it did it to me and I'm certain the lock was NOT bound up. Also, apparently earlier today she was able to remove the key with the ignition still in the ACC position, and had to re-insert the key, turn to OFF then remove the key. So my question: is it possible to replace the lock cylinder and keep the same key? I'd like to have one key still for the doors and ignition, not a separate key for each.

BTW, I'm completely comfortable doing my own wrenching, just haven't worked on Toyotas much.

Upgrades planned for the vehicle: Bluetooth stereo, rebuild the buzzing door speakers, WoolWax undercoating, and maybe a small lift. :)

·
Registered
05 Toyota Sequoia Limited
4 Posts
Hi there, I've yet to do it myself, but I am also planning on adding Bluetooth capability to my 05 limited. I've been doing a bit of research and I found this kit which allows you to keep the factory head unit which I thought was excellent due to the fact that I have the upgraded head unit with navigation and it works perfectly. Also with any "upgrades" that I've made to my quoia, I try to keep as close to factory as possible for resale strategy if you will. If you are planing on switching the head unit completely feel free to disregard this, but if you think like I do give this link a peek. Additionally if anyone has done something similar, potentially even with this exact kit, how did it work out, and was it as easy to install as the video showed?

--Link to the Bluetooth kit (option for standard head unit or navigation package)
https://www.gtacarkits.com/product/toyota-sequoia-2003-2007-iphone-aux-kit/

--Link to install Video

Let me know your thoughts!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Drew, I'll check that out. I'd be happy to just install an adapter, but we also found out that the volume knob on the unit is wonky. The steering wheel control works fine, but the knob may move the volume up or down, regardless of the direction it's turned. Maybe I can partially disassemble and clean that out.

For the ignition lock cylinder, I pulled it out last night and dropped it off at a good locksmith this morning. It took longer to the get the tools out that it did to remove the cylinder! So that'll be rebuilt, along with making me a couple new keys so we have spares.

·
Registered
05 Toyota Sequoia Limited
4 Posts
Yea my know does that funky thing occasionally as well, it seems to function better when I turn the knob slower... Also when I bought my truck it only came with one key and fob too, I ordered a set of two keys and two fobs off amazon and had the keys cut by a locksmith that is a vendor friend of mine for free, programmed the keys after finding a thread with instructions and programmed the fob using a video from Toyota maintenance channel on you tube.

--Amazon keys

--Programming video

This guy is the best, and I love his personality..."today I became a real man"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too Funny: I bought that exact set this past weekend, and dropped those keys off with the locksmith. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the first round of attempting to program the new keys is a failure. The programming steps I found resulted in the horn beeping and lights flashing. I'm attempting to search for better programming instructions, but I can't for the life of me find anything specific to the 07. So, has anyone found a successful way to DIY program the key and remotes? I'm thinking the 07 must be different than the 05.
Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I found another method that worked on my 07 for the keys. Will post later with that method. Now to try for the remotes again...

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the method that worked for my 07 (stolen from website http://www.diy-time.com/automotive/toyota/toyota-sequoia-transponder-chip-key-programming/ ):
Method 2 (*Shared by Jon Giullian):

“Update. I tried one more time and it worked using the sequence below. This time, when turning the programmed key back and forth to off and on, I did it really fast. I also inserted the new key really fast. I think that’s what did the trick. You have to do it really fast with Sequoia. That’s what my locksmith told me. He was right.

1) Close all doors
2) Insert your Master key (black) int the key cylinder
3) Turn the ignition from Lock to On 5 times within 15 seconds – on the 5th time, leave the key in the ON position
4) Open and close the driver’s door 6 times within 20 seconds
5) Turn the Master key back to Lock and remove
6) Insert the new blank key and turn to ON position
7) Leave in ON position for at least 60 seconds (while the key registers with the vehicle)
8) After 60+ seconds, remove the key.
9) Open then Close the driver’s door to end the process”
Important notes (*Shared by Jonathan Elliff):

Two important things I figured out in programming my 2007 Sequoia not mentioned above:

1. The car needs to be closed and locked before starting the process. Use the fob to unlock and begin.
2. You know you are in “program mode” when the security key light stays OFF, even after you pull the master key away and put the blank in. This, as I understand, is the opposite of many Toyotas of this vintage where the light stays on to indicate program mode.
Testing

Start your car to test the new key!
Repeat!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now back to the remotes: I've found many sites that show the following:
1 )drivers door open, insert then remove key
2) cycle locks 5 times with driver's door switch
3) close then open driver's door.
4) repeat cycling locks 5 times
5) insert key, turn to on, back to off, then remove key.....AND that's where the alarm goes off and starts blaring the horn and flashing the lights.

So, instead of going into programming mode, the alarm is activated. Any guess what I'm doing wrong? Based on the slightly modified method of programming the key transponder I'm guessing the FOB is also different but I can't find anything anywhere that shows a different method.
Thanks!
GH

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New plan: I have dealer level software for my other brand vehicles so why not go that route with the Toyota's as well?! Working to get all the widgets lined up for a Techstream subscription and cable so I can talk to the computer instead of all this key/door/lock/on/off/hold your tongue in your left cheek rigamarole. Hopefully that pans out soon...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Next problem seems to be that the rear door window wiper, heated glass and up/down motor are all inoperative. They worked when we bought it, but it's acting like those items just don't exist. The window won't move with the switch or the key FOB. The wiper/washer don't move/pump. When I push the rear window defroster button, the little light in the button doesn't come on. So I did a little searching and found a thread from 2010 that addresses this, and has a TSB linked that applies to '01-'06 models. Does anyone know if that TSB also applies to the '07 model? (link below). I don't really care if the window moves up and down, but the wiper and defrost would be nice to have.

Link to 2010 thread

Update: I used my software and was able to determine that the rear door ecu has a malfunction code for the window being jammed. SO..looks like I get to take it apart and see about lubing up the mechanism. I can't see anywhere that it's jammed, and it's in the up position so I'm thinking maybe 12 yr old grease is just sticky, and with the temps in the single digits it's entirely probable.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,644 Posts
There is a stopper in the TSB that causes the issue. Remove the stopper and your problem will be solved. Check out this thread which covers the issue and others:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've seen many threads on that now, but they all have people with 06/07 versions that no longer have the stopper OEM. I probably won't get a chance to take the covers off until this weekend to confirm, but my guess is that since this is an 07 it probably doesn't have that part. Still, if it's there I'll be removing it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts