Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
03 Camry & 06 Sienna
2006 Sienna LE
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(history: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291216)

After a whole day of driving the Camry around since the misfiring stopped (see link above), I was greeted tonight by a new treat: 2 lights on my dash:

Any idea why these 2 lights would just kick on together just days after the exploding radiator? By the way, all my taillights work fine!

My hunch is the brown rusty water got into the alternator and it is now failing.

-Scott

·
O-Dark-30
93 Camry Le
409 Posts
hmm

Check to make sure that those two little black ground wires that go from the head passed the top of the timing cover and to the passenger fender area are plugged in. These are close to the dog bone style upper mount on the passenger side. They are connected with little black connectors. I forgot to plug one in once and my tail light warning light came on until I plugged it back in. If these are ok, your alternator may not be charging or has a loose connection.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Go to Autozone and ask them to test the Alternator. And go from there.

At what point does the rear light indicator go on? That will norrow it down. Do this:
1: Turn on car (the rear light indicator SHOULD be off)
2: Hit the brakes a couple times.
2a: If light goes on, it;s the brake light part. If light is still off, go to 3.
3: Turn on headlights.
3a: If rear light indicator goes on, it's one of the parking lights.

·
03 Camry & 06 Sienna
2006 Sienna LE
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

Tested 2 wires connected to the ALT, no issues found, light still on.

Both lights come on with key/ignition and stay on all the time. All lights work fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also have same problem

I have a 1995 camry that has had the same problem for several months now. Mine comes on intermittenly and for varying amounts of time. I changed +ve battery cable and terminals and replaced battery, but lights are still there. Tested alternator in car with multimeter and voltages were correct with and without load. (I do not recommend testing at Autozone-I took mine out and did that and it FAILED, the in store test -yet it works well on my car;alternator also passed the in car test using their Autozone's and Murray's mobile machines).
Anyhow I am currently thinking it's probably a loose connection or corrosion somewhere (due to randomness), but I am not sure where to start checking...

·
03 Camry & 06 Sienna
2006 Sienna LE
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem Solved

So I went to Checker and bought an Autolight reman for $137 w/ lifetime warranty. All is well and both the tail light indicator and the batt light are out. Any ideas why they would BOTH have been on? As I indicated, no issues with tail lights. Maybe there was a short?

·
Stock? Blasphemy!
06 Rav4 v6
879 Posts
So I went to Checker and bought an Autolight reman for $137 w/ lifetime warranty. All is well and both the tail light indicator and the batt light are out. Any ideas why they would BOTH have been on? As I indicated, no issues with tail lights. Maybe there was a short?
the tail light indicator on the dash works by monitoring current draw by the bulbs. If it sees weird numbers it comes on. Since the alternator was dying, it was MAKING weird numbers. charge light came on since it was seeing a large difference between the battery and the alternator voltages. I'm guessing voltage regulator went out in the alternator.

·
Breakin' necks since '02!
2,330 Posts
I have this problem on/off. They usually come on when the cars first stated and my air compressor if filling up my air tank.

·
Breakin' necks since '02!
2,330 Posts
^jesus I can't spell tonight. That's what I would think too. My voltage usually drops to around low 13's high 12's while this is happening.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts