Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I drive a turbo Focus, but I've found a fairly nice MR2 turbo for sale for about $3500. I'm planning to sell the turbo kit and bring the Focus back to NA and buy the MR2. Problem is, I'm rather unknowledgable about the MR2. What are some common problems or issues that high mileage 1992 models have that I should look for when test driving it? I just don't want to buy a lemon because I didn't look for the right things before the purchase.

Here's the specs on the car:

Price$3,500Body StyleCoupeMileageN/AExterior ColorBlackFuel TypeGasoline

1992 TOYOTA MR2 TURBO, wrecked rear quarter panel, 17"rims, t tops, 5 way adjustable shocks, very fast, $3500

He also didn't mention the mileage. I'll call the owner about that tomorrow.

·
Registered
500 Posts
What to look at when purchasing an MR2 (a work in progress):

1. What kind of shape is the body in, especially the rumble strips?

2. How good are the syncros? (known weak point)

3. Are there any visible oil leaks? Is the car consuming oil?

4. Does the car fart blue smoke on start up? (valve seals are infamous for leaking when cold)

5. Is there any odd behavior when turning that might indicate problems with the strut mounts?(infamous)

6. Are the strut replacements OEM or something else? Either way, make sure you test the drivability, mixxed suspension components = bad juju.

7. How does the car look underneath for rust?

8. Do both windows and door lock switches work? (Wiring harness in drivers door also infamous)

9. Does the brake master cylinder still feel strong under heavy braking? (Had to replace mine a month after I got the car)

10. When you take the car to get checked out make sure that they test the wheels for play which might indicate issues with ball joints or wheel bearings.

11. If it's a T-top what kind of shape are the seals in? Any leaking?

I am sure there are more issues that are specific to turbos but that's what I've seen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So pretty much I'm just checking for the standard issues for a high mileage vehicle? The synchros, is this a pricey replacement?

I appreciate the quick response, btw.

·
Registered
500 Posts
For the most part that's true that it's typical issues for a high milage vehicle. The one thing that is probably the most specific to MR2s on that list is the interior electricals. There's a rubber tube that runs between the drivers door and the frame that can catch water which then corrodes the harness that controls the windows and door locks for both sides. Not a big deal to fix, just something to be aware of as if you don't know what you're looking for diagnosing the problem can be a PITA.

If you can do some or all of the work yourself getting then getting the syncros replaced isn't too bad. I imagine that it would be fairly expensive if you have a tranny shop do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I went looking for my MR2 I was looking at the service records... the water pump/timing belt at 60k miles. Then again I'm not a really knowledgeable car person so maybe that stuff is easy to do? Heard it costs about 1k if it wasn't done since the water pump is a pain in the ass to get to. Also the "hose from hell"? Should check the sticky with the MR2 faq. Helped me out a lot.

·
Registered
500 Posts
nepopolus said:
eh dont know about the pump on a mr2 but the belt is fairly easy
You've gotta be thinking of the accessory belts. The water pump is driven by the timing belt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts