Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new rack and pinion installed at the dealer (on warranty) and the steering is now really tight. I doubt that this is normal so I would like to get your opinion. I like that it's tight (less assisted) but i'm afraid this might cause problems down the line!? Should this be rechecked by the dealer? Anyone with similar steering issues?

2007 Camry SE 4cyl.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid XLE
241 Posts
Tight as in harder to turn like manual steering or tighter like sensetive/more connected? I know they will feel tighter than before because parts arent loose/worn out giving it a "tighter" feel without the sloppy looseness.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid XLE
241 Posts
Check the power steering fluid. Sounds like either no fluid, low fluid, or some air in the lines.

Does the car have a growling whine that picks up/gets louder with engine speed? Also, why was the rack replaced?

·
Registered
2011 Camry LE
47 Posts
If the steering rack needed to be replaced the pump probably isn't too far behind. Usually debris from the rack will destroy the pump, giving you basically non assisted steering.

Or if the steering is tight and notchy then the universal joint for the steering shaft could've been damaged or is binding due to incorrect installation.

Do what Jbandit said and check the fluid first.

·
PhotoShop Expert
363 Posts
I just got a new rack and pinion installed at the dealer (on warranty) and the steering is now really tight. I doubt that this is normal so I would like to get your opinion. I like that it's tight (less assisted) but i'm afraid this might cause problems down the line!? Should this be rechecked by the dealer? Anyone with similar steering issues?

2007 Camry SE 4cyl.
If it is still under warranty, take back and say it isn't right, and have them check all the other items suggested above

Charles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fluids are fine, no "notchiness" in the steering. After a few days of driving the car, it seems to have loosened a little... Or I got used to it! The loaner car I got for the day was a yaris... I'm starting to think I got used to the lightness of that car during the time I had it thus why I found the Camry's steering much stiffer. I will keep in mind the pump. Warranty still on for 3 years... Thanks

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

1 - 7 of 7 Posts