Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota corolla
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the forum :cool:

I am looking to replace the rear speakers on my corolla, since once of them is blown.

I do believe that the are 6x9. I have never bought new speakers for a car b4, and was wondering which once you would recommend.

Should i just replace the blown speaker, or replace them both?

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey ab, I'm currently running the alpine S series and am very happy with them. There not top of the line but also not garbage by any means.

If you wanted to step it up a little the Alpine R series are amazing, but with that added performance comes additional cost.

Once more you could check out Ample Audio's line as well. These are great speakers for a reasonable price. However if they are under powered they tend not to sound to hot, so an amp would most definitely be in order.

I would recommend you replace both, no point having better sound coming form one side, besides, you can only buy speakers in sets... unless your dealing with someone you know who's looking to only get rid of only one.

·
Registered
Toyota corolla
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey ponsrow thanks for the reply.

Will the Alpine R series 6x9's, still sound good without an amp?

·
Registered
2007 Corolla CE
12 Posts
I got mine hooked up to an amp, but I don't think they sound better, just louder (Rockford Fosgate 6x9.) There's the adjusting that comes with an amp, but if you don't know what you are doing, you are just going to be wasting money on the amp. Usually, if you get an amp, you have to tune it perfectly, or it will sound like trash. Not practical. Also, when replacing the rear 6x9's, even with my knowledge on car stereo systems, the Corolla has brackets that only fit the speakers that came with the car. When you get new ones, I would suggest letting a shop do the installation.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
Alpine Type-R. These things will hit so loud and crisp you will be amazed, especially coming from the stock speakers. like a previous post said, they are a little more money, i paid $150 for a pair of 6 1/2". and Yes, replace both of them.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
And yes, they will definitely sound good without an amp. i have a pair and they are not amped. i have a pair of type r's in my back speakers and a pair of type x's (component) in the front. like i said, the type r's cost me $150 a pair, and the type x's cost me $350 a pair. i cannot hear a difference between the two pairs. Type-R is the way to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey ponsrow thanks for the reply.

Will the Alpine R series 6x9's, still sound good without an amp?
Totally man! The speakers will sound awesome at normal operating levels however once you crank it you will notice some clipping. Many people believe this is caused by over powering the speakers but in your case (running off the stock deck) it's due to under powered speakers.

So if your just looking to have moderate volume levels you'll be golden.

As far as installing them, SmokeydaBear is right. the mounting holes will not line up... in fact they wont even come close. No need to fret though, you can easily make your own mounts out of 1/4 thick particle board, which is what I've done. The boxes the speakers come in have a stencil that can be cut out of them with the proper hole locations and center opening for the speaker (super handy! Don't toss those boxes).

Hope this helps

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm looking to replace the rear speakers as well. Do the Alpine R series speakers drop right in, or do we need to drill new holes?

·
Registered
Toyota corolla
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm looking to replace the rear speakers as well. Do the Alpine R series speakers drop right in, or do we need to drill new holes?
i believe you will need to drill new holes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got my new speakers in yesterday (MB Quart 6x9 FTA 169). Got em for 47 bucks from Amazon. They are cheap speakers, but sound decent. I just dropped them in, but haven't drilled holes yet. Borrowing a drill today to do so. Do you guys recommend putting a foam gasket of some kind between the speaker and the rear deck? My stock speakers had a foam gasket. At first impression, these speakers seem to be lacking in bass compared to my stock speakers, but it might be because they aren't fastened in. Any input? They are being pushed by the stock head unit. New head unit on the way. (Kewood KDC-x794 - $150 from Amazon 3rd party seller)

·
Registered
04 Corolla 69 Chargr
155 Posts
I would bet they sound better with the new deck-
I would put something under the speakers to prevent vibration- which tends to drive me crazy with any amount. You could use foam or even cut some cardboard to make a gasket.

also I have no issue with drilling holes, but:.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0218832054&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have been eyeing these for when I install my JBLs, for the price might be worth trying

1 - 11 of 11 Posts