Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm still breaking in my 5EFE rebuild, the motor sounds real tight, no exhaust or valve sounds, but I'm now leaking a little coolant from the head gasket, F$%$!!!

When I rebuilt the motor, (this was my first time doing so), I read many books and researched many websites. I used the info on Autozone's ALLDATA website, since the DEMO is a '95 5EFE motor just like mine :)

I used New Topline Head Bolts and a New Topline Head Gasket. I ran a tap down the Head Bolt holes and used plenty carb cleaner to get the bolt holes clean.

I Torqued the Head Bolts to 33ft lbs using a brand new Craftsman Torque wrench. I used the proper Torque sequence and tighten all bolts an additional 90 degrees with a breaker bar after this initial 33ft lb torque.

My question: Is it OK to re-torque the bolts? , since apparently I did not torque them down enough or they loosened up during this break-in period.

I was thinking on re-tightening them another 30-45 degrees or so.

But I don't want to freaken break any head bolts.

PLEASE REPLY, AND THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP !!!

Sincerely,

Reezytercel

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
No! Don't go beyond the recomended torque range. You could break the bolts or worse, strip the threads in the block.

What you could do is put the torque wrench on them again to make sure that they still are at the correct torque and haven't loosened up (which I doubt). If they are not loose, then you might have a warped or cracked head.

Did you have it checked for warpage and cracks whan it was off? If not.......... that may be your problem.

Did you clean off the residue of the old gasket completely from the head and block before reassembly? That also could be a problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts