Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bought a rectifier compatible with my alternator.
It's just like the old one, but the old one has 6 diodes and the one I bought has 8.
Is there any problem in applying it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
4,247 Posts
The rectifier should match the type of winding in the alternator. Most OEM are Delta winding so 6 or 12 diode and the 8 or 16 is designed for a Wye winding. Check the application of the one you bought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rectifier should match the type of winding in the alternator. Most OEM are Delta winding so 6 or 12 diode and the 8 or 16 is designed for a Wye winding. Check the application of the one you bought.
Hi,

The rectifier is this and they say it is compatible, but when I disassembled the OEM I saw this small difference.

The OEM ils like this.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
4,247 Posts
You'd need to see the specs on the type and size of diodes used. 4/8 diode systems used to be common on automotive applications. In general a broad brush application the additional diodes smooth out the pulses.
It should work.
I went to a wholesaler's site and they mention in the fine print "their" rectifier with 8 diodes replaces the Corolla 80amp OEM 6 diode unit. FWIW.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK,
I will then install the rectifier and then tell you how it went.
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems to work well, is more stable at 14v.
I did about 20km, did not turn on lights on the dashboard.
Now he wants more road to see how it looks.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
4,247 Posts
Thats good, that is what would be expected. By smoothing out the impulses it can handle higher output with stability.
Good to know it worked!

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
4,156 Posts
I'd be interested to see how many miles you get out of this rectifier. I put a replacement rectifier in my 1990 alternator and within 40k miles it had 3 blow diodes. 2 failed open and 1 failed shorted. That alternator and the replacement rectifier had 8 diodes originally. The 3 diode failures were on 3 separate diode pairs of course.

You can lose 1 or 2 diode pairs and not even notice most of the time because you're not trying to draw max current. Check and record your voltage as you accumulate miles as an early warning sign of premature failure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts