Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got new rims for my 07 Camry. I only plan on using them in the summer. My question--->I still need lugs and valve stems for the wheels, are the tire pressure sensors part of a valve stem assembly or is it a separate component? Will I have to buy valve stems with the sensors incorporated or can the factory sensors be added to my new wheels? Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
That's a good question, maybe someone will answer it in the other thread asking for the answers. ;)

What do the parts/service folks at your dealership/place of work say?

·
it is what it is
07 Camry SE
2,294 Posts
Yota_Rep said:
Just got new rims for my 07 Camry. I only plan on using them in the summer. My question--->I still need lugs and valve stems for the wheels, are the tire pressure sensors part of a valve stem assembly or is it a separate component? Will I have to buy valve stems with the sensors incorporated or can the factory sensors be added to my new wheels? Thanks in advance for any info.
I thought you worked at Toyota Dealership:lol: You need to buy new TPMs if you want to have summer and winter tires and they are in the valve stems.:lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually since I just got the wheels and didn't plan on mounting them till summer I haven't asked anyone at the dealership about it yet. Probably just as much knowledge on this forum as there is in our service dept anyways. LOL

·
07 Camry SE V6
07 Camry
274 Posts
tou will end up having two sets of sensors, and every time you switch wheels you will need to go to dealership and change the sensors ID in the Toyota ECM.

What I did I kept my sensors for the stock wheels, but nothing on the summer wheels.

·
Registered
396 Posts
wilfredcruz said:
tou will end up having two sets of sensors, and every time you switch wheels you will need to go to dealership and change the sensors ID in the Toyota ECM.

What I did I kept my sensors for the stock wheels, but nothing on the summer wheels.
I'm with him. Just be sure that when you take the wheels with the sensors in them off be sure to mark on it somehow what side and position the wheel was in. The TPMS sensors have ID's on them to indicate which position they are in and mixing them with throw codes.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I might also mention that I see class action lawsuits in the future in regards to the TPMS sensors. They've basically designed them so that only the dealer will able to reasonably do tire rotations since the computer will be reprogrammed and I imagine that the cost of a tire rotation it gonna go through the roof because of this.

·
08 Voodoo Blue FJ Cruiser
146 Posts
Originally Posted by Klutch

Just be sure that when you take the wheels with the sensors in them off be sure to mark on it somehow what side and position the wheel was in. The TPMS sensors have ID's on them to indicate which position they are in and mixing them with throw codes.
:eek: What? You telling me that the TPMS sensors has to be in the same side and same positon that the wheel was in prior to the wheel change? That is soo gay!!

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Klutch said:
I might also mention that I see class action lawsuits in the future in regards to the TPMS sensors. They've basically designed them so that only the dealer will able to reasonably do tire rotations since the computer will be reprogrammed and I imagine that the cost of a tire rotation it gonna go through the roof because of this.
I don't think so. My wife's Sienna has the TPMS system and we've had 2 rotations done at Merchant Tire without an issue (that I can recall).

·
it is what it is
07 Camry SE
2,294 Posts
Klutch said:
Yup, that's what I'm saying. Each sensor basically has a serial number on it and is encoded to that position on the car. Every tire rotation will cost you computer time too....
Not true, you just have to pay for tire rotation.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you read the owner's manual, there is a procedure to reset the system after tire service. I've have done it myself with no problems.....although I will add that my light always comes on now when the outside temp drops below 32 degrees F. I had my tires rotated at Town Fair Tire in NH, they said they can reset the TPMS for $20 and said the dealer would do it for a lot more, but then told me that the owner's man tells you how to do it. So naturally, I did it myself.

Now I have a cold weather issue and the dealer says the light will come on because of the pressure drop with the cold weather, but if its always around freezing temp, wouldn't that make the TPMS system useless and defective? Even after driving 30 miles the light still stayed on. I think the TPMS is BS anyway, what good is it gonna do when you have a blowout at 70 mph!?!? I always do a walk around my car every so often, can't help it I detailed cars for many years and am paranoid about anything being wrong!

The Automotive/Tire industries had better work out any issues with the TPMS or there:thumbdown might be some opposition, but from what I've researched, the US Gov is the driving force behind this system and DON'T you dare oppose the MAN!! :nono:

·
Registered
396 Posts
BigWillie said:
If you read the owner's manual, there is a procedure to reset the system after tire service. I've have done it myself with no problems.....although I will add that my light always comes on now when the outside temp drops below 32 degrees F. I had my tires rotated at Town Fair Tire in NH, they said they can reset the TPMS for $20 and said the dealer would do it for a lot more, but then told me that the owner's man tells you how to do it. So naturally, I did it myself.

Now I have a cold weather issue and the dealer says the light will come on because of the pressure drop with the cold weather, but if its always around freezing temp, wouldn't that make the TPMS system useless and defective? Even after driving 30 miles the light still stayed on. I think the TPMS is BS anyway, what good is it gonna do when you have a blowout at 70 mph!?!? I always do a walk around my car every so often, can't help it I detailed cars for many years and am paranoid about anything being wrong!

The Automotive/Tire industries had better work out any issues with the TPMS or there:thumbdown might be some opposition, but from what I've researched, the US Gov is the driving force behind this system and DON'T you dare oppose the MAN!! :nono:
Interesting, my light hasn't been coming on with the weather changes. Sounds like you might be getting a bunch of smoke blown up your booty.

I read in either the owners manual or the service manual that if you rotate the tires the computer needs to be hooked up and the ID tags written down as they pertain to the tire location and once rotated they needed to be adjusted accordingly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Klutch said:
Interesting, my light hasn't been coming on with the weather changes. Sounds like you might be getting a bunch of smoke blown up your booty.

I read in either the owners manual or the service manual that if you rotate the tires the computer needs to be hooked up and the ID tags written down as they pertain to the tire location and once rotated they needed to be adjusted accordingly.
Strange, I will reread my Owner's manual, maybe I misunderstood it. Anyway, I will use this cold weather situation to have the dealer reset them properly them.

·
07 Camry SE V6
07 Camry
274 Posts
When you reset it, as th emanual says. all you are doing is reseting the threshold pressure. The sensors will detect the difference in pressure, not the actual pressure at a given time, for example if you reset your set and your pressure was a 32 the light will come on once the pressure drops to 6lb (??) under the set value of 32psi. .If you reset it at 25 psi then the light will come up once the pressure drop 6lb under 25!. Read the manual. The sensor doesn't know the actual pressure on tire, it will only "see" the difference in pressure.

If you change your sensors you need to input the sensors ID in the Toyota ECM, to do that you need to have a Toyota programmer for the ECM (cost a lot of cheeseburgers). There are other vehicles that you just reset it and thats it, NOT with the Camry you need the ID in the ECM to have communication.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well that sucks ass! :eek:wnedsmas I still think this system is useless.:thumbsdow Just another dealer only service that you can get hosed for! I really miss my '03 Tundra...WHY...WHY....WHY did I trade!?!?!?!? *cocking hammer back on the revolver* :wtf:

·
Registered
8 Posts
wilfredcruz said:
When you reset it, as th emanual says. all you are doing is reseting the threshold pressure. The sensors will detect the difference in pressure, not the actual pressure at a given time, for example if you reset your set and your pressure was a 32 the light will come on once the pressure drops to 6lb (??) under the set value of 32psi. .If you reset it at 25 psi then the light will come up once the pressure drop 6lb under 25!. Read the manual. The sensor doesn't know the actual pressure on tire, it will only "see" the difference in pressure.

If you change your sensors you need to input the sensors ID in the Toyota ECM, to do that you need to have a Toyota programmer for the ECM (cost a lot of cheeseburgers). There are other vehicles that you just reset it and thats it, NOT with the Camry you need the ID in the ECM to have communication.
This is not quite true. The reset button under the dash does not reset the threshold pressure. The reset button under the dash allows you to rotate the tires and have the system detect the new locations for the transmitters.

However, if you replace a transmitter on the Camry, then yes you will need to have the sensor id entered into the ECM. Toyota is the only manufacturer that this reprogramming is required afaik...all the others you just press the reset button, it finds the new sensor and you are good to go. As an independant tire dealer, the introduction of the TPMS systems has led to a lot of confusion and misinformation, as well as added time and cost. The owner's manuals don't always indicate the correct procedure (as is the case on the Camry). Most dealers I've spoken with hate the TPMS systems as well because of the amount of time required.

Oh yeah, and something to think about...the valve stems which are part of the sensor are exposed to the elements all the time. For those of us in the areas where salt is used on the roads, the sensors are going to start to corrode sooner rather than later. Sensors for most GM's run about $50 each. Sensors for most Hyundais run about $10 each. Sensors for most Toyotas run $100 to $200 each! And they're all similar technology.

Robert
Import Tire Co.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Import Tire said:
This is not quite true. The reset button under the dash does not reset the threshold pressure. The reset button under the dash allows you to rotate the tires and have the system detect the new locations for the transmitters.

However, if you replace a transmitter on the Camry, then yes you will need to have the sensor id entered into the ECM. Toyota is the only manufacturer that this reprogramming is required afaik...all the others you just press the reset button, it finds the new sensor and you are good to go. As an independant tire dealer, the introduction of the TPMS systems has led to a lot of confusion and misinformation, as well as added time and cost. The owner's manuals don't always indicate the correct procedure (as is the case on the Camry). Most dealers I've spoken with hate the TPMS systems as well because of the amount of time required.

Oh yeah, and something to think about...the valve stems which are part of the sensor are exposed to the elements all the time. For those of us in the areas where salt is used on the roads, the sensors are going to start to corrode sooner rather than later. Sensors for most GM's run about $50 each. Sensors for most Hyundais run about $10 each. Sensors for most Toyotas run $100 to $200 each! And they're all similar technology.

Robert
Import Tire Co.
So I was right about using the button to reset the system, but it seems I have cold weather issue 'below freezing', any ideas? I checked my air pressure one morning when at the freezing temps and it was 30 PSI and isn't the system set to go off at 25 or 26 PSI?

I'm sorry, am I getting off topic!? :eek:t:

·
Registered
8 Posts
BigWillie said:
So I was right about using the button to reset the system, but it seems I have cold weather issue 'below freezing', any ideas? I checked my air pressure one morning when at the freezing temps and it was 30 PSI and isn't the system set to go off at 25 or 26 PSI?

I'm sorry, am I getting off topic!? :eek:t:
Sounds like there's some water in the system somewhere. I don't buy into the Nitrogen hype, but you may want to replace the air in the tires with Nitrogen to see if the air that was used to inflate them when you last had them changed had a little too much water in it. That could be condensing and freezing on/in the sensor and causing the problem. If you can't find a place that has nitrogen, replace it with 'new' air, hopefully from a dryer source. Also, the next time you have the problem, you could bring the car to a tire dealer and have them use a TPMS diagnostic tool to determine which sensor has the problem.

Also, don't forget to check the spare tire pressure...it has a sensor as well.

As far as what pressure the system will signal a problem at, I think it may be as little as 2 to 3 psi below the recommended pressure, which is indicated on the sticker on the door.

Good luck, and let me know what you find out.

·
SEcond Rate Products
406 Posts
mine don't even work anymore, i took my car in to get the oil changed, asked that they fill the tires to my usual pressure because they felt very low (36psi, comfort be damned) and he told me they were all 4 at 19PSI
... no light.

*shrug*

1 - 20 of 20 Posts