Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Browsing their webiste http://www.rockkrawler.com/ and in the Toyota section they have a new 5" lift coming out for the 05+. No prices and no information though:hammer:

What do you guys think? Are those rear adjustable coilovers I see with the "Desert Race Package"?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I saw that today too after flipping through the new issue of Off-Road.

I'm curious about the install myself. As in, does it require cutting or welding like some of the 6" lifts? There's a lot of parts there, but I don't see blocks for AAL's for the rear so I'm curious how that works.

·
need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not sure, but I think this kit eliminates the leafs since it has the adjustible COs in the rear and the trailing arms? I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I was thinking that too, but wasn't sure. Hard visualize how it works from just parts! :lol: I was also thinking that since I didn't see any U-bolts... But then I was wondering how you would attach anything to the axle. I'm going to assume there's welding involved with the install. Probably not something the average person can install on their own. Oh well. Can't afford it yet anyway! :lol:

·
"Clean" the best mod.
2,276 Posts
It looks expensive..:eek:

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
cj99si said:
It looks expensive..:eek:

exactly my thought as well... Also looks expensive to INSTALL. :lol:

·
Spanky!
329 Posts
maybe im blind or it looks completely different, but i dont seem to be seeing a lower arm... someone please clarify this for me b4 i say something stupid....

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
im curious how much they'll ask for it.

Nathan
ycart1201

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
It's just a coilover front kit with a coilover rear conversion kit. Leaf springs are much better at holding a load which is why they use them on the rears of pickups but off-road as in rock crawling or racing they are supremely inferior to coils. By their very nature and design leaf springs offer poor traction and poor articulation when compared to a coil. This kit mainly addresses that issue of inferior rear traction. Fab skills would be needed no doubt, it's a nice kit though, at least for the rear. I'd rather go with someone like Marlin or Allpro though if I was serious about doing a coil conversion on a Toyota.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Adventure North said:
It's just a coilover front kit with a coilover rear conversion kit. Leaf springs are much better at holding a load which is why they use them on the rears of pickups but off-road as in rock crawling or racing they are supremely inferior to coils. By their very nature and design leaf springs offer poor traction and poor articulation when compared to a coil. This kit mainly addresses that issue of inferior rear traction. Fab skills would be needed no doubt, it's a nice kit though, at least for the rear. I'd rather go with someone like Marlin or Allpro though if I was serious about doing a coil conversion on a Toyota.

Good info there AN. So would you recommend keeping leaf's on a DD/occasional off-roader? Not that I'm really looking into this yet, but want to accumulate info and parts ideas for when we build the truck up some more in the next year or two.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Talked with the folks at Rock Krawler on Thursday, they said this kit is on hold due to lift law heights for 1/2 ton trucks in the US. The kit required cutting the front crossmember. They are now looking at a 3-4 in. kit, don't expect any updates for a couple of months.

·
Registered
2006 SCPrerunner BSP
798 Posts
It looks more like a prerunner kit to me anyway. That's why they refer to it as "Desertrunner" on their website. Looks like the trailing arms bolit into the stock front leaf brackets. Panhard bar looks good. 3-Link and coliovers, hmmm . . . That would do well through the whoops compared to my leafsprings. :naughty:

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
PiercedTiger said:
Good info there AN. So would you recommend keeping leaf's on a DD/occasional off-roader? Not that I'm really looking into this yet, but want to accumulate info and parts ideas for when we build the truck up some more in the next year or two.
If payload capacity is a priority for you I would keep the leafs.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
menacekustoms said:
It looks more like a prerunner kit to me anyway. That's why they refer to it as "Desertrunner" on their website. Looks like the trailing arms bolit into the stock front leaf brackets. Panhard bar looks good. 3-Link and coliovers, hmmm . . . That would do well through the whoops compared to my leafsprings. :naughty:
It looks to me that the trailing arms, coilovers and possibly trac bar all bolt to those 4 weld-on brackets at the bottom of the page. Those brackets would have to be welded onto the rear axle housing in roughly the same place at the factory spring perch and lower shock mounts in order to work properly. Also loos like new upper mounts for the rear co's, meaning you'd have to cut the stock shock mounts off the frame and weld these new brackets on.

Definately looks like an install would run you almost as much as the kit, itself.

However, I'm still gonna call them Monday and ask if they need a test truck.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Adventure North said:
If payload capacity is a priority for you I would keep the leafs.

Thanks. Yeah, I kinda need load capacity for now. Hauling 400+lbs of wood pellets each week, and even with that I'm thinking leaf packs instead of my AAL in the future.

p2filz said:
whats the easiest susp. lift kit u guys kno of that doesnt require cutting or welding... or keeps it a minimum?
Probably a Toytec/OME lift with OME coils and 1/2" spacer up front, AAL in the rear. Most basic 3" lift setup, uses stock shocks, direct bolt on replacement, etc. After that you could upgrade the shocks to better ones, or get a leaf pack for the rear (those cost more than the whole Toyotec lift). Don't need the front diff drop or aftermarket UCA's really. Just about any 3" lift you get will bolt on. Larger lifts like the 6" ones are the ones that require cutting and welding.
Better handling lifts (for more off-road use) are Donahoe Racing and Light Racing (same parts, different name). Toytec sells the LR ones. More expensive, but similar install and no cutting/welding.

·
Ramathorn
2007 Tacoma DC SB
56 Posts
Yea, seems like some people here have some confusion about what this kit is. In the front its a drop-bracket like you would see with a 4" or 6" inch lift combined with an adjustable coil-over like with DR or AllPro and a set of new upper arms. As for the rear, they have a modified semi-4link radius arm rear (comparable to a long-arm set up for the front of a jeep) with the equivalent of a trac-bar and dual spring coilovers. The kit requires cutting the front crossmember and welding tabs on both the rear axle housing and the frame rails.

Its a pretty good concept but would probably result in a lot more travel in the rear than the front. I can imagine seeing more than 13" (if that) of travel in the front (because its not a long arm) and maybe 19" in the rear. As many people have mentioned the payload capacity would decrease, but compared to the whimpy 3 leaf springs I cant imagine the payload would decrease a whole lot, but anyone interested in a rear coilover set-up probably wouldnt be inclined to haul a lot anyways. If someone were interested in this set up with an increased payload capacity they could have an airbag set up fabricated, but its likely that it would significantly decrease the travel of the rear end (thus eliminating the purpose of the whole thing).

Overall, it looks like a good concept (and the first to be openly marketed, not just custom fabrication). Id be inclined to put together a similar front set up with a small drop bracket and coilover set up. In the rear... a 4-link would be incredible, but not very practical.. so, maybe a 64 in deaver or national spring with reseviours.. and glass all around (when they come out with a 3" bulge.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts