Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the other day I had about 500 pounds worth of people(2) in my back seat and it dropped my rear end so far that the tires rubbed the wheel well when I hit a bump or turned hard. I looked at the car with both of them in the back and the tire was tucked under the rear fender about a half inch. I think I need new rear shocks, what do you think? Maybe I just exceeded the weight limit, if you add me and the other front passenger is about another 350. Total about 850 pounds that day.

If I do get new shocks I'm thinking either KYB-GR2 or Bilstein Touring Class.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A good way to test shocks is by pushing down on that corner of the car. It should go down, then up, and settle. It should not continue to oscillate up and down.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A good way to test shocks is by pushing down on that corner of the car. It should go down, then up, and settle. It should not continue to oscillate up and down.
I'll give that a try.

·
ロンリードラ&#
99 Corolla CE
228 Posts
Considering you have a '98 and only guessing the mileage it has now, you're probably due to change the struts and springs anyways.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
how many miles do you have on the car?

depending on that, i would replace the springs as well as they might be fatigued to the point of causing excessive sag.

·
VVT-1MZ + ES5spd
Toyota Corolla
2,017 Posts
is there anybody that makes a stiffer spring then factory? got 151k miles same problem. what are some suggestions?

·
uʍop-ǝpısdn
1,917 Posts
Sagging isn't due to struts. It's springs alone. And you can't upgrade to stiffer springs unless you upgrade the struts too due to premature blow out ratings. Toyota makes a higher spring rate stock spring that is marketed by TRD I think. You'll have to call up and ask. It's cheaper to just get a matching set of aftermarket lowering springs and struts though. KYB struts are very reliable. For springs, you might want to consider Vogtlands.

·
Toyota Tech in training!
1999 toyota corolla
350 Posts
he was being funny Goku cuz the OP said he had 2 people in the back that weighed a total of 500 pounds.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It does just like you said, down up then settle.

The car has 113K miles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
wont hurt to get new spirings, but thats like a combo of exessive wieght won worn out springs and shocks.. i just replaced my front wheel schocks and its super high in the front and really low in the back.. so replace 4 new shocks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts