Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered Camry and delivery date was 25 August. Next slip was just a few days to the 31. Then, around Labor Day. Then later in the week after Labor Day. That's, like, today. Today I get a call from the sales manager. Up till now I was talking to the salesman. I knew it wasn't going to be good news.
Sales Manager: we expected the car yesterday or today and I checked with the PORT distribution center in FL and they are closed for the storm.
Me: is my car a Japanese car?
SM: no, it's US.
Me: then what is a car made in Kentucky, destined for North Carolina, doing in Florida?
SM: they rail transport the cars to a central point then to the dealers.

REALLY? Wadda ya tink?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ordered Camry and delivery date was 25 August. Next slip was just a few days to the 31. Then, around Labor Day. Then later in the week after Labor Day. That's, like, today. Today I get a call from the sales manager. Up till now I was talking to the salesman. I knew it wasn't going to be good news.
Sales Manager: we expected the car yesterday or today and I checked with the PORT distribution center in FL and they are closed for the storm.
Me: is my car a Japanese car?
SM: no, it's US.
Me: then what is a car made in Kentucky, destined for North Carolina, doing in Florida?
SM: they rail transport the cars to a central point then to the dealers.

REALLY? Wadda ya tink?
Sounds legit to me. Since you are in the SET region, I assume all cars go to a central location so they can add stuff like Toyoguard and other accessories only you guys get before they send them to dealers.

·
Registered
277 Posts
they will not be shipping directly from Kentucky plant to the dealer. loaded auto trains go to regional distribution centers, then transported by truck car carriers to the dealers. so a legit story. my concern would be how the vehicles are stored at the distribution center. probably outdoor in big lots. if so, I would be concerned about any storm damage. when you do receive the call that the Camry is ready at the dealer, take your time (hours if needed) to inspect the paperwork and especially the vehicle interior/exterior. if needed, test drive it. do NOT be rushed by the salesman. best to go on a weekday for p/u when the dealership is less busy. good luck!

·
straight cash homie
18,836 Posts
they will not be shipping directly from Kentucky plant to the dealer. loaded auto trains go to regional distribution centers, then transported by truck car carriers to the dealers. so a legit story. my concern would be how the vehicles are stored at the distribution center. probably outdoor in big lots. if so, I would be concerned about any storm damage. when you do receive the call that the Camry is ready at the dealer, take your time (hours if needed) to inspect the paperwork and especially the vehicle interior/exterior. if needed, test drive it. do NOT be rushed by the salesman. best to go on a weekday for p/u when the dealership is less busy. good luck!
I think for regionals like GST and SET, they process their vehicles in their own center.

For Toyota (TMS), their VDCs (Vehicle Distribution Centers) are usually located at either the port of entry (Long Beach, Newark) or at the factory (Georgetown, Princeton) and are operated by Toyota Logistics Services (TLS). They will either facilitate the rail transport or route the vehicles on to the trucks for delivery to dealer, but before that, install any PIO accessories.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
The first XSE that I tried to buy was in a "port" in Mira Loma, CA. (Just about 20 minutes from me) It's a train yard that all the manufacturers use. I put a deposit on the car at the beginning of July, by mid august, I was pissed off enough to take my deposit back. I found what I was looking for on a dealers lot 150 miles from me. The local dealer refused to even try and trade for it. So I drove down and bought it. The first car is STILL sitting in Mira Loma, now two full months "late"

·
straight cash homie
18,836 Posts
Sounds legit to me. Since you are in the SET region, I assume all cars go to a central location so they can add stuff like Toyoguard and other accessories only you guys get before they send them to dealers.
Yeah, SET bound cars head to Florida I believe. I know that TLS has a VDC at TMMK, so I wonder if they ever process any units for GST or SET at all, and if they do all the installations of the PPOs for all TMS regions.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys. I feel better but we'll see what happens.

And thanks, Ben. I'll be sure to check it thoroughly.

·
Registered
277 Posts
do not be surprised to receive a call (sometime next week or so) regarding a further delay due to storm related issues at the port. if so, remind the dealer that you have been a good customer. then ask for some free throw-in(s) to reward your patience: rubber floor/trunk mats or car cover or something else. good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do not be surprised to receive a call (sometime next week or so) regarding a further delay due to storm related issues at the port. if so, remind the dealer that you have been a good customer. then ask for some free throw-in(s) to reward your patience: rubber floor/trunk mats or car cover or something else. good luck!
Great idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Southeast Toyota Jacksonville site

I read somewhere that the site is at the Jacksonville port. Since I am in Atlanta and six weeks away from buying a 2018 I hope the lot is above the expected storm surge.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read somewhere that the site is at the Jacksonville port. Since I am in Atlanta and six weeks away from buying a 2018 I hope the lot is above the expected storm surge.
Surprise! I got a call yesterday morning from the salesman and MY CAR WAS BEING PREPPED! I was asked it I could be there by 1:00. I was a little leery because of the weather, but tomorrow (today) was supposed to be much worse here. It was/is. We're getting the bands thru now. I spent a boring hour going through the details of purchase and then an hour and a half inspecting the car and getting familiar with it with the salesman (a young kid about 22). We had a couple of bumps with the various apps not finding what they want (Entune was fine). That was a pain but I'm sure I can get that squared away today. It's raining here so I'll have most of the day to play with the car. The best part is my wife let me park it in the garage!

·
Toyota Ninja
169 Posts
Getting the delayed story also. Was mod to end of September now the car won't be built until October 2nd. Damit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts