Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 1997 has been in need of new struts for a while. The rear end makes a clunking noise and the right side feels like I am going to loose it around turns. I replaced the right rear side tonight and the noise is worst! I didn't have time for both tonight. The only couple of things I didn't put back were the sway bar end link bolts stripped so I need new bolts "I guess dealer item." I also remember someone on here talking about marking the top bolt, but I didn't remember that until after. I am sure the top bolt is tighter then it was before but should I torque it down? There is still room to tighten. :headbang:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok re read the how to replace rear strut and I am pretty sure I got the strut in right or it would not have gone back together. I wonder what the noise is? I can push down on the back of the car and its loud!

·
Default User Title
Camry GEN 3
769 Posts
You sure you have it on right?

Frm bottom to top...Strut, lower insulator, bumper (yellow thing), coil spring, upper insulator, cap, nut. It matters which hole points to the outside of the car.

·
Administrator
14,390 Posts
There are also flats on the strut rod that must be aligned with a slot on the underside of the upper mount. Loosen the center nut, and see if you can rotate the shaft until it pops into place. If it won't move, it's probably aligned properly. Shouldn't have to rotate it more than half a turn to get it to align.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Did you replace the lower insulators (the rubber ring that goes under the spring)? When I did my rears, I re-used the old insulators, which were worn through, and it was making a rippling type sound. I had to disassemble everything back to put in new insulators.

Also, while you were replacing the struts, did you check all other suspension components? Maybe something else is loose/worn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made sure the strut cap sat in the groves before I put it in. The way I could tell was when I tightened the top nit the strut shaft would spin. Is there a torque spec for that top bolt? I wonder if having the sway bar disconnected is why it is making that noise?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Is it possible your struts were in fact still OK and your problem is actually the rear sway bar bushings? That seems to be a more common problem and often makes the rear end feel like it's breaking loose

Sent from my HTC Ruby using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
76 Posts
There is a thread in stickies showing you how to use teflon tape around sway bar bushing w/o purchasing new bushing. It does help. End links nuts must be tightened down with 14mm wrench and a 5mm Allen wrench is needed to hold the center screw from turning (oem). You should check the lateral links as well. Hold your hand by the 3 and 9 o'clock position and push/ pull to see if the tire moves. Most problem noise could be the number 2 control arm, also called lateral links or track bar, torque 133lbs.
Make it short, check end links, $15/side , sway bar bushing, and lateral links number #1 and #2. Strut rods should still good. Good luck

·
Administrator
14,390 Posts

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,932 Posts
if the problem only occurs when going around turns, it's probably either the lateral control arms or sway bar. get the weight off the wheel and see if there is any movement in any direction when pulling/pushing hard on the different sides. use a pry bar to flex the sway bar mounts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all, So here is the scoop. I found this little cylinder thing that should have gone over the top strut before the top bolt. I installed it tightened down the bolt "I will torque to 35 today" but no more noise. I also replaced the tie rod ends. Thanks for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.