Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the H&Rs and Tokicos installed on my Gen4 camry. After riding around town, I noticed that on smooth roads it rides almost like stock. But when I go over bumps, it seems really bouncy. Is the new suspension suppose to be like that? I thought it was suppose to be really smooth? Is it because the H&Rs are too stiff?

I'm trying to figure out how to work my sis's digcam so I'll try to post pics as soon as I can...

btw - my dad found out about them... seems like the H&Rs were really noticable :( But at least he let me keep them on!!:D

·
Mitsubishi Diamante Owner
'03 Diamante
1,743 Posts
When you say bounce, do you mean when you hit a bump that your car keeps bouncing or do you mean that you come up out of your seat? If the latter that's just stiff. If you hit a bump and the front of your car keeps bouncing then I don't know what to tell you. H&R is supposed to be awesome.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean, that whenever I go over bumps, the car bounces up and down for a while, and it seems to bounce a lot more than stock suspension. Its not like crazy bouncing, but its noticable. While the stock suspension went smoothly over everything.

·
Mitsubishi Diamante Owner
'03 Diamante
1,743 Posts
The stock Camry suspension is VERY smooth. One of the smoothest cars I've ever driven in my life (although I haven't driven too many luxury cars)... It feels like a Caddy compared to my mom's 04 Accord.

If when you hit a bump, the car bounces and continues bouncing... normally that would be associated with bad struts or cheap springs. You said you have new struts so maybe they're defective? :confused:

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
it's probably just cuz you're not used to it yet....

w/ stock suspension, you float over everything, so of course you feel nothing, but w/ stiff suspension, you're supposed to feel everybump- tho not KEEP on bouncing....but it may not be anything....have you ridden in other ppl's lowered cars before? so you may have something to compare to

and it's not the springs that'll make it bouncy unless you have stock struts on, which you don't....if there is a problem, it should be in the struts

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
what gen camry do you have?

:hi: i'm in dallas too & about to replace my suspension with a full TRD setup eibach springs & bilstein struts very stiff for auto-xing :D

i gotta agree w/eye8...you're just feeling the bumps in the road that you never knew were there before....let me drive it & i'll show you what an improved suspension can do for cornering :lol:

later,
Keri

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I'm probably just not used to lowered suspensions, since I've been driving my camry for about a year now...

Ripley's99 - where do you go auto-xing? I wanna go try it!

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
its because you are being critical of the stuff. whenever i put new stuff on me car i am always highly critical of it until i get used to it or prove to myself that that's the way it is.

·
slowamatic noob
1996 Toyota Camry
3,857 Posts
yea when u change ur suspension, from stock vs changed suspension, during stock form it hella floated over the bump,but now when i go over it, it totally dives into it and you feel the car's reaction to it alot more than ever before....

·
Registered
48 Posts
if you wanna know how bouncy it is, you can try pushing down on your fender and see how far it goes down.. if it goes down a lot then its going to be bouncy, otherwise its stiff, the bouncyness youre feeling is probably more like bumpyness

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
DarkFlareon said:
Is the new suspension suppose to be like that? I thought it was suppose to be really smooth?
Who told you so? Changing any suspension components to be stiffer is anything but smooth. You'll start to notice small bumps or uneven surface of the road more than stock.

You should watch out for bumps on the road and aviod them.

·
674 Posts
go to www.autocross.com & you will be able to find a calendar of all the local events in texas as well as fees, rules (if you are under 18) & general info.

there will be an event on july 11th in bedford at pennington field so you can come out there to see what it is like etc. or sign up to auto-x your camry, then you will see what the upgraded suspension is for ;)

pm me if you have any questions...
Keri

·
Rev Tech Style's 1st Lady
70 Posts
Well like everyone says, the stock suspension feels like you're riding on air. Usually performance springs aren't necessarily for a smooth ride because it makes everything stiff for better handling. I got some Goldline Springs and it's not that bad, I just need to get new shocks. I feel the bumps more but I do have 17's so that might also be a factor. It all depends on how much you spend on the springs, I personally never heard of H&Rs but the cheaper the springs, the cheaper the ride. Then again you do have Tokico shocks so I dunno, it's not gonna ride like the stock ride tho for sure. Every car that is dropped has a different more bumpy ride...I dunno, hope I helped! Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i guess you just never sat in lower cars period.

I've been in a civic that has been droped about 4 inches and a integra that has a bout 3.5 (they never make it over speed humps) but see we drive on the highway all the time. I always see the civic bounce crazy its just price you pay for having a droped car thats just all. Yes it is suppose to be bounce but not that much unless you droped it over 3 inchs. You only got springs and shocks i assume that is like what 1.8 inch drop. Its not bad but like someone said earlier its best that you aviod any BUMPS because it scrape up your car at times if its high enough.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Car bouncing is about shock absorbers, not springs. To stop the bouncing, even stiffer shocks are needed.

But curious as to what tires and air pressure you are running. Soft sidewalls and low pressures are what I am thinking.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im running the stock tires, I believe - 195/70/14. I haven't recently checked my tire pressure yet, but I'll try to take a look at it soon. Does anyone else have H&R's on their Gen4? I thought I would still have a large gap in front since its only about 1.4f and 1.3r but instead I have an EVEN 3 finger gap all around! :( I'm not really into the Raked look...

·
674 Posts
so you think its too dropped now? i'm confused :confused:

Keri

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its not too dropped, I'd prefer to still have a large front gap and a small rear gap, instead of it being even all around...

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
I think your 70 series tires are giving you the bouncy feeling. Pump them up to at least 30 psi cold all around.

You may feel them being a little hard, but you're going to feel quicker steering, quicker acceleration and better mpg. Give it a few days and if you don't like that, you can reduce the pressure. I do not know what brand of rubber you are using but read the fine print on the sidewall stating what is the maximum you can pump them to, don't exceed the limit. See if that knocks that bounce out.

·
Registered
Scion TC
202 Posts
you probably never tried the lowering springs on your stock struts.. it would be VERY bouncy.. i was on stock struts for about 6 months and finally turned to tokicos.. its much better.. although at times it can be a bit bouncy (because of the tires flexing) and after i got some low profile tires its even better..
btw.. my setup is eibach and tokico.. going over bumps is not bouncy at all.. its more like firm (the struts didnt travel as much as the stock did)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts