Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving up to a stop light and lady whipped out and made a left turn into my lane in a prking lot, honked, she didn't stop. Luckily her car was low, so she hit the left rear tire dead on and part of the forward part of the rear wheel well. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow for an estimate. I have never been in an accident before, and I guess it is good that my first one wasn't bad. The guy wants to settle with no insurance. I told him we will wait and see what the estimate is then we will talk. (As I said, I ave never been in an acident before, so I am not sure how to handle this, but got all of their info just in case) Is there any possibility that by hitting dead on the left rear tire dead on that it somehow screwed up the suspension, or axle? The paint is all cracked and stuff on the rear quarter panel. The guy (the lady didn't speak english so she had to call her husband) offered to buy me dinner for it, and I said I don't want food, your wife just wrecked my new truck! Sorry just a little pissed. Anyways, just curious any tips, or things to watch out for since I have never been through this process before. Do I need multiple estimates?

·
My name is Blake
Toyota Tacoma
4,913 Posts
I had a 2003 Stang GT. I lost control in the rain and my rear wheel hit the sidewalk just like the lady hit your truck. My car was sitting on my wheel and my rear axle cracked in half. I hit the sidewalk at about 15 mph with 3500 lbs of force on that one wheel. It was all bad. I tried to drive off and the car wouldn't move. I got out and my rear end was in 2 pieces.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It is real easy to get ripped off in a incident like this. You haven't filed a police report? If you don't do that they probaly will not pay you anything. I learned the hard way along time ago, same kind of thing, I had brand new truck guy hit me gave me a good story about working at a body shop, blah, blah, blah. Never saw him again. The place he said he worked never neard of him. I would seriously think your truck got some major problems if her car impacted the rear wheel, probally will lead to all kinds of problems, out of alignment is a bummer. I would file police report, get a couple of estimates ASAP and then decide if its better to turn into insurance (depending on your deductable, your driving record, etc.) or hope this person is honest and has the resources to take care of it. Thats a big gamble.
Best wishes, Carl

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well it happned today, so I haven't lost any time. I got all of her information, and I did call the police, but because it was in a parking lot, the police could not file a report because if it is on private property they will not take one. Th other big problem is because they don't speak english real well, I feel it is going to be a big hassle to get them to pay. Plus the first thing out of the husbands mouth when he got there was, "We don't have much money." So, I am going to te dealer I bought it at tomorrow, and will get an estimate and I guess call the insurance company after I get the estimate. I told them I would get an estimate and see if we needed to get the insurance involved and he said he would be out of town till saturday and asked me not to call till he got back because his wife speaks no English, and I said whatever, we will see how much it is gonna cost. Do they normally check it out pretty well when they give you an estimate? I just want to make sure I don't end up royally screwed. I asked the cop and I said we can't just do a report so it isn't my word against hers, and he said nope, but because of where the damage is on my truck and her car the insurance ompany would see it was her fault. Thanks for the advice so far guys, anything else I need to know. My dad said he did the "we'll pay you cash" route and got $300 of $2500 and never sa the guys again, so even though I said we might do the cash way, with the fact that they speak almost no english, and the guys comment about no money, I think I just need to go through the insurance so I don't have to deal with all this crap. That's why I pay my insurance right, so they have to deal with it and not me.

·
TN god
765 Posts
i'd definatly go through the insurance company. who cares what they want! they hit you.

get several differant quotes, and give them the highest. and go with whoever does the best work. you might be able to pocket some money

·
KBultaco
05 tacoma 4x4 lb
95 Posts
From my experience, I would suggest that you immediately report this to your insurance company with the understanding that the other person is at fault. Provide all details, as time goes on, you may limit your ability on your claim. I've had accidents in the past where months later the repair was faulty and I had no recourse.

·
Official Misfit
1,453 Posts
call you insurance....

and have your insurance call the person to atleast admit the guilt

·
Registered
848 Posts
Don't be a ballbuster, accept the guy's dinner offer, and call it even. On a serious note, sorry to hear that someone screwed up your nice new truck for you. Listen to everyone else here, and go through insurance.

·
french fried taters
546 Posts
I dont know much about how the law works but that seems really f***** up that they wont file a police report. I mean who cares if its on private property or not you need something to show whose fault it was. I think youre in for a world of trouble now, its gonna be your word against theirs. I hope everything works out but I know some people that dealt with a similar situation and got screwed. The person that hit them just denied being at fault and since there wasnt a police report they had to pay for it.

·
french fried taters
546 Posts
Heres something else to think about, several years ago I hit a guys pig with my brand new car. Got a police report showing that the owner was at fault since he was responsible for the pig being out. Notified the insurance company and did everything the right way. When it came time to fix the car the insurance company told me I had to pay the deductible because the owner of the pig said he didnt have any money. I argued with them about it until I was blue in the face, but they said it was cheaper for them to just pay to have it fixed than to go through the process of taking the people to court. I had to pay the deductible but as soon as the car was fixed I switched insurance companies. The insurance companies suck they are out for the cheapest way possible no matter who it screws.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Dbl Cab LB
356 Posts
You definatley need to have it looked at!!!
1) your wheel will most likely be bent and not run true. Scrape it
2) the axle flange could also be bent and must be replaced if it is
3) the axle flange bearing will need to be replaced if the axle is replaced.
3) check leaf spring mounting points (both sides) for any dislocation / bent
4) have u-joints closely inspected if you were moving at the time of impact
5) have the diff (inside) checked. check LSD if equiped or electric locker operation if equiped.

That all I can think of right off.

·
Registered
947 Posts
ero2 said:
I was driving up to a stop light and lady whipped out and made a left turn into my lane in a prking lot, honked, she didn't stop. Luckily her car was low, so she hit the left rear tire dead on and part of the forward part of the rear wheel well. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow for an estimate. I have never been in an accident before, and I guess it is good that my first one wasn't bad. The guy wants to settle with no insurance. I told him we will wait and see what the estimate is then we will talk. (As I said, I ave never been in an acident before, so I am not sure how to handle this, but got all of their info just in case) Is there any possibility that by hitting dead on the left rear tire dead on that it somehow screwed up the suspension, or axle? The paint is all cracked and stuff on the rear quarter panel. The guy (the lady didn't speak english so she had to call her husband) offered to buy me dinner for it, and I said I don't want food, your wife just wrecked my new truck! Sorry just a little pissed. Anyways, just curious any tips, or things to watch out for since I have never been through this process before. Do I need multiple estimates?
LOL. [email protected]!?? Dude, maybe she was willing to give you a finishing move for it? Lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Man that sucks, sorry to hear it. From what you're saying (the lack of English) maybe you live near me (haha!)... I'm not sure if I read it right but I didn't see you say they had insurance. I'm betting not.

Definitely go with your insurance, hopefully your deductible is low. Find a trustworthy toyota authorized repair shop and have them get you a thorough estimate. Good luck man!

·
farg
05 Tacoma Double Cab
58 Posts
Let me get this right. No police report because it's on private property??? If you follow that logic, there would not be a police report if you robbed a private business. I think the cops are being lazy b*stards.

·
Registered
448 Posts
farg said:
Let me get this right. No police report because it's on private property??? If you follow that logic, there would not be a police report if you robbed a private business. I think the cops are being lazy b*stards.
I have heard this before, I know people who have been in some bad accidents in parking lots and the police would not do anything about it because it was on a private parking lot (IE Wal-Mart Lot). You know those little signs they post that basically say "not responsible for damaged or stolen items".

Where was this lot again? See if the store has cameras in the lot and try to get the tape, thats what my friends sister had to do after a guy did about $4,000 in damage to her parked car in the lot and the police would not file a report either. Her dad took the guy to small claims court and sued him for damages and the tape was their proof that he did it.

Just a reminder, watch out for all those idiots in parking lots who cut across lanes going 40MPH because the police won't help you when the t-bone your ass.

·
french fried taters
546 Posts
"Let me get this right. No police report because it's on private property??? If you follow that logic, there would not be a police report if you robbed a private business. I think the cops are being lazy b*stards." I agree, the majority of crimes that happen are on private property that doesnt mean the police cant get involved. I hate to say it but I think without a police report hes in for a lot of aggravation.

·
Registered
118 Posts
MY big question here is HOW the heck does someone who "doesn't speak english" get a DRIVER'S LICENSE in the FIRST place?!?!

A freakin' MONKEY could get a license in this country... it's just too easy, and that's why there are so many accidents and such high insurance premiums. :disappoin

My son is learning right now, and he's going to have to pass MY driver's test before I give him the keys, no matter WHAT the NY State DMV says! :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not really the same thing, but similar...

My wife and I had parked our previous truck next to a couple cops at lunchtime and we went and ate lunch. Came back out, got in the truck, and noticed the cops staring at us the whole time. wtf? so we left the parking lot and he followed us out.. only when i turned out of the parking lot he lights me up. I ask him why the hell he waited so long to pull me over (for tinted windows, by the way... what an ass) and he said the same thing about them not being able to do anything while I was parked in a private lot.

You can bet if I was driving a donut truck they wouldn't have wasted any time and got me in the parking lot. :rolleyes:

farg said:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts