Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Tacoma TRD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the proud owner of a 2010 Tacoma ext. cab and looking for some advice. I've been reading the owner's manual and came across a section in the manual where it states the truck should be driven in 4 wheel drive at least 10 miles a month to keep everything lubricated. I was always under the impression not to drive a vehicle in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement. Once winter gets here I'll have more than enough time to drive in 4 wheel, but until then curious what to do. Thanks.

·
Park Ranging
2006 Toyota Tacoma
213 Posts
Where do you live? It can't be that far away to find a good dirt road to mess around on.

·
My Other Truck
4,298 Posts
I was always under the impression not to drive a vehicle in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement.
I agree 100%! Some guys run 'em in 4WD on straight sections of road, which I guess is reasonably safe, but I wait until I'm at least on dirt or gravel so the tires can slip enough to avoid drivetrain binding.

Oh btw, congrats on your new trucklet and welcome to TN!

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,146 Posts
Mine spends a lot of time in 4wd on forest roads in the summer while firewood cutting. I don't think I've been on a road yet where I couldn't get by in 2wd (at least when there wasn't snow), but it's a good time to lubricate things. You can try the straight road option that people do, but you can also just think about taking some time once in awhile to go exploring. Any dirt/gravel road will do. You'd be amazed at the things you find. Shoot, pick up a book on waterfalls or something that might be in your area and take a road trip once a month. It'll be good for both you and the truck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2010 Tacoma TRD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I thought that finding a dirt road was probably the best option. I guess any excuse to go out and going 4 wheeling is fine with me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
(my first post, lol).. 10 miles of dirt road a month for me will be tough... But ill do my best after i buy my first taco ever this week! Im goin for a 2012 Dcab V6 4x4 :chug:

G

·
Don't worry about using 4wd in the off-season. It certainly does NOT need to be run to be lubricated. The transfer case has an oil pump that is connected to the input shaft (I think its the input shaft, though might be the rear output shaft, difficult to tell from the diagrams...), pumping oil over everything any time the vehicle is driving forward. The front differential always has some stuff moving and splashing oil around, so no problem with lubrication there. In some case, the chain may move *slightly*, just due to the viscosity of the gear oil in the front differential and transfer case.

The ONLY thing that engaging it will accomplish, is to verify that your servos are operating properly for your front ADD and transfer case, in other words, it verifies that your 4wd system *still works*. IMO, you check it out in November and fix it if its broken. Just leave it in 2wd through the summer unless you NEED it for something.

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
I think you're right, it's run off the input shaft. I don't know where all the oil passages run, though, might need some rotation to get it everywhere. Just a little rotation, though, 10 miles has to be tremendous overkill.

G

·
I think you're right, it's run off the input shaft. I don't know where all the oil passages run, though, might need some rotation to get it everywhere. Just a little rotation, though, 10 miles has to be tremendous overkill.
Get that bastard up to 60 and any oil that hits the main shaft gets slung around EVERYWHERE. Oil passages are overkill, its more than enough just to dump it on the input and output bearings.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Don't worry about using 4wd in the off-season. It certainly does NOT need to be run to be lubricated. The transfer case has an oil pump that is connected to the input shaft (I think its the input shaft, though might be the rear output shaft, difficult to tell from the diagrams...), pumping oil over everything any time the vehicle is driving forward. The front differential always has some stuff moving and splashing oil around, so no problem with lubrication there. In some case, the chain may move *slightly*, just due to the viscosity of the gear oil in the front differential and transfer case.

The ONLY thing that engaging it will accomplish, is to verify that your servos are operating properly for your front ADD and transfer case, in other words, it verifies that your 4wd system *still works*. IMO, you check it out in November and fix it if its broken. Just leave it in 2wd through the summer unless you NEED it for something.
Agreed

Agreed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts