Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I've been lurking in the shadows for the last couple weeks. I bought a brand new 2006 Tacoma on January 5th and I've been looking for cool mods and such to do to it. It's a 2006 Tacoma DCab 4x4 Long Bed with 5 Speed Automatic Transmission, Limited Slip Differential and Tow Package (Other details in my sig) I already installed Utility Locks on the doors in the bed. I just ordered new EuroDezign headlamps and I can't wait to install them. I have a few questions...

I have about 780 miles on my Tacoma so far and one thing I've noticed that concerns me is the Transmission seems to have trouble downshifting when I have to break quickly. Like if someone suddenly brakes in front of me and I have to slow down...faster then normal...then when I take my foot off the brake and press the gas the trasmission like jumps and so does the truck. This also happens when I have to brake quickly at a yellow light the transmission doesn't shift down when you brake it waits untill I totally stop THEN it shifts when I creep forward a bit and you can really feel it. Is this Normal? or should I take it to the Stealership to have it shecked out? Should I take it to my own AAA Mechanic instead? It feels to me like the Trans is low of Tranny fluid and unfortunatly there is no dipstick to check the fluid level on the 05 and 06's as most of you know.

Also I wanna know what fluids and filters I should change to when I do switch to Synthetic. I know I should do the Engine (4.0L V6 1GR-FE) I've heard good things about Mobil 1 Synthetic and a Mobil M1-209 Filter. Should I also do the Transmission (5spd Automatic), Transfer Case and Limited Slip Differential? If so what kind for each one? I most likely wont do it myself unless someone close by wants to help me as I don't feel comfortable doing it myself as I have never done any work on a Vehicle other then changing Engine Oil. I have changed Engine oil but on a Boat Engine and our boat is all Hydrolic Drive so there is no Transmission so I have no clue how to do that or the transfer case or the LSD. Should I just take it to my mechanic and have him do it? Or is there anyone in the Bristol, Rhode Island Area who wouldn't mind taking a day on the weekend sometime and giving me some help? It would have to be done at your place cause I don't have anywhere I can do it here and I don't have the tools ether. I would pay for all the fluid's and I wouldn't mind paying you a little bit for your time...I can't offer you much though as I am a poor college student. My Father helped buy me the car if you were wondering.

Thanks a ton guys :D and please don't start any fights/debates in my thread about these things

·
Hey There...
05' Prerunner Taco
920 Posts
Congrats on the Tacoma. The first thing I would do is. Get it tinted, take out Secondary Air Filter, and get a TRD Exhaust. Ah then you are set. You will love this truck! I seem to notice the transmission doing that to but it doesn't bother me to much. I speed up more then I slow down =)

WELCOME
Pat

·
Don't mess with the Blue
'06 DC Sport TRD
1,809 Posts
Where's the pictures? Let's see it!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sony said:
Hey guys I've been lurking in the shadows for the last couple weeks. I bought a brand new 2006 Tacoma on January 5th and I've been looking for cool mods and such to do to it. It's a 2006 Tacoma DCab 4x4 Long Bed with 5 Speed Automatic Transmission, Limited Slip Differential and Tow Package (Other details in my sig) I already installed Utility Locks on the doors in the bed. I just ordered new EuroDezign headlamps and I can't wait to install them. I have a few questions...

I have about 780 miles on my Tacoma so far and one thing I've noticed that concerns me is the Transmission seems to have trouble downshifting when I have to break quickly. Like if someone suddenly brakes in front of me and I have to slow down...faster then normal...then when I take my foot off the brake and press the gas the trasmission like jumps and so does the truck. This also happens when I have to brake quickly at a yellow light the transmission doesn't shit down when you brake it waits untill I totally stop THEN it shifts when I creepy forward a bit and you can really feel it. Is this Normal? or should I take it to the Stealership to have it shecked out? Should I take it to my own AAA Mechanic instead? It feels to me like the Trans is low of Tranny fluid and unfortunatly there is no dipstick to check the fluid level on the 05 and 06's as most of you know.

Also I wanna know what fluids and filters I should change to when I do switch to Synthetic. I know I should do the Engine (4.0L V6 1GR-FE) I've heard good things about Mobil 1 Synthetic and a Mobil M1-209 Filter. Should I also do the Transmission (5spd Automatic), Transfer Case and Limited Slip Differential? If so what kind for each one? I most likely wont do it myself unless someone close by wants to help me as I don't feel comfortable doing it myself as I have never done any work on a Vehicle other then changing Engine Oil. I have changed Engine oil but on a Boat Engine and our boat is all Hydrolic Drive so there is no Transmission so I have no clue how to do that or the transfer case or the LSD. Should I just take it to my mechanic and have him do it? Or is there anyone in the Bristol, Rhode Island Area who wouldn't mind taking a day on the weekend sometime and giving me some help? It would have to be done at your place cause I don't have anywhere I can do it here and I don't have the tools ether. I would pay for all the fluid's and I wouldn't mind paying you a little bit for your time...I can't offer you much though as I am a poor college student. My Father helped buy me the car if you were wondering.

Thanks a ton guys :D and please don't start any fights/debates in my thread about these things
lol...you sound exactly like me 13 months ago, with my 05 TRD Off-Road Taco I got!

Yes, the lurching is normal and will ease down after a month or so, when she breaks in. The gas pedal is electronic so it does act a little different than the old cable system.

Synthetic is good but, personally, I haven't switched. But I do let the dealership handle all my maintenance, for now. (And they use Valvoline oil, my favorite.) I've heard of many Toyotas that leaked oil from people using after-market oil filters so I'm only using OEM oil filters. I used to do all my own maintenance but now that I'm older (and richer) I let the young whipper snappers handle it!

My Father-in-law has owned Toyotas since the 70's and never used synthetic anything (just Valvoline) and they lasted so long he ended up giving them away to the grandkids. (Now, he's driving a 5 year old Tundra and a 2 year old Avalon)

Welcome to the crazy Taco world!!!

Boo

·
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bigblue said:
Where's the pictures? Let's see it!! :thumbup:
You know....thats a good idea I should go take pictures of it now as I keep forgeting to do it. I have a video of me driving it but I'd rather not pass that around as it is a bit embarassing (I like to talk to the camera A LOT.) :rolleyes: I'll go do that heh

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I would wait a little while on the diff and trans. Maybe 5k or 10k miles on the diffs. Trans at 20k miles.

Do the engine oil change whenever. I did my first one at 1500 mi.

Be sure to check out the DIY Mod sticky.

·
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heh I already read through all the DIY Sticky's thats where I got the Bed Lock Mod from. I will prolly do an oil change and switch to synthetic and a larger filter when I get to 1500 miles.

·
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I didn't get any pictures guys...had an emergency. I had to drive my friend to the hospital...he busted his eyebrow open and needed 30 stitches. I'll get them whenever I have time next. Luckly he didn't get blood in my new car hehe. I have some more questions....but I can't remember them right now so I'll try and remember them in the morning as I am heading to bed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts