Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i'm new the whole world of mr2s. My friend let me drive his (91' N/A) and i fell in love with it and now that i've seen a few i fell in love with the MK1 Body Style, can you give me some advice on buying a mr2? like the best model/engine. im looking for a 88 Supercharged but i can't find one in my area... are there any flaws with the 88 supercharged? any advice is helpful, also could you tell me the difference between these engines
SW20
AW11
4A-GE
again any advice on models and such would be helpful. im really into drifting and thats why im lookin at mr2s.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I'll help ya out with the engine thing because it is obviously the easiest. SW20 and AW11 aren't engines... so there goes that one. The 4A-GE is the stock MKI MR2 NA engine. I'd be an ass if I didn't tell you what sw20 and aw11 were wouldn't I....

SW20 is the chassis code for the MKII MR2.... and AW11 is the chassis code for the MK1 MR2.

As for engines.... MKI's came with, 4age (NA) and 4agze (supercharged. The MKII came with 5sfe, 3sfe, 3sge, and the 3sgte (turbo).

·
sargdesigns
2,497 Posts
If you are really into drifting, let me tell you, the MR2 is most likely not your best option. I say start looking at the Nissan 240 SX. The KA-24 engine in the S13/S14 is a great basis to start with, and more than enough power to drift.

The MR2 is has a mid-engine set-up, hence the letter 'M' in "MR2." The 88 Supercharged is a great handling car, it drives like a go kart and if you toss on a bigger pulley you can get 175hp out of the 4A-GZE, no problem. :thumbup:

The MKII Turbo is often times referred to as a 'GT' car or touring car, as it is larger than the MKI, and not quite as nimble. (In stock form, of course.)

You can drift your MR2 if you want to, but you will spend much less on tires and repairs if you drift with an FR setup such as a 240.

Whatever car you look into getting be sure to run a CarFax on it. Often times if you look on the MR2 OC boards fellow owners are often willing to run a car fax for you, for free.

If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Hope this helps you out.

Sincerely,
Brandon Mendez

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help guys, well the reason i want a mr2 for drifting is...not everyone does it. yes i realize there ARE better cars for drifting and i DO realize its harder to drift a mr2 since all the weight is in the back, i would get a 240sx but...i just dont like'em, dont know why i just dont, maybe its cuz i see too many of them. ALSO i ran across a 88 4agze but its automatic, you think it would be worth it to change it to manual?

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Wo.... you're gonna try and drift an AW? I'd like to see this. I don't think they have enough power to drift.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if im not mistaken the 4agze has 145 horse and 145 torque or 140 somewhere around that with a 8psi supercharger, i was gonna jack the supercharger up to a 15psi and later when i get the money bore it out or just swap engines, do you think it'd be worth changing a 88 mr2 from auto to stick also would it be hard?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anything is possible with money. Changing the tranny is expensive, and depending how much you want this car.. i say get a manual unless the tranny is already bad.. and requires a swap soon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How do you plan on getting 15psi out of the supercharger?? The highest is with the Cusco pulley and its only 14psi and to maintain 14psi you also need the Cusco adjustable re-circulation valve.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ha ha wanna bet? I drifted with my AW11 several times.. its just a matter of how you do it.. its possible to drift a MR2 with 4AGE... just that the way you do it its a little different. You have to reverse steer a lot sooner, and and as soon as you detect slipperage, you have to react right away. Unlike my 180SX and FC3S, where I can just let it go :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
as i've heard, my friend says the biggest supercharger hes ever seen was a 22 psi supercharger..and even if 14 is the biggest ill put like 14 depending on if i think its worth it. but thanks for all the help *the search is still on for a stick 88 sc mr2 in pa, that isn't a piece of shiot*

·
Registered
4 Posts
first off that comment about not enough power i don't aggree with i mean the AE86 is a very good drift car and it pumps out a very lower amount of power

if you're going to drift espcially in a car as old as 88 i would look to repairing/replacing the suspension and bushings as that would throw off your drifting quite a bit and could cause damage to the chassis

i know you don't see to many mr2 drifters out there and it takes alot more skill partly why i got one, but the thing is you shouldn't try to learn the basics on it, I used the 240sx then i did the sr20det swap and now i'm on the mr2. you can feel a major difference in the styles at first i lost control of the drift because the rear snapped out to quickly

if you insist on this route then i suggest practicing in empty parking lots late at night, personally i use the local costo

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I think ass end of an AE86 is just a little lighter than an MR2's... therefore much easier to drift with the 145hp engine. An MR2 is meant to grip.... not drift. Sure you CAN do it.... but it's kinda like pissing in the wind.

·
Boosting 15 psi :)
1991 MR2 (jap turbo)
507 Posts
dont know about drifting an AW11. but in the SW20, the most practical technique (in my experience) is to press the brakes at the entry point of your turn (keeps rpms down too)... the ass end will slip out... but since there is more mass (and therefor momentum) in the back, youll have to react with your countersteer/throttle very quickly... feather the throttle (please dont stomp it down) and follow it through the turn. Although "power over" is easier, i had trouble with it because my NA lacked power. I learned in the snow on a private road, and just applied what i already knew to asphault... i suggest finding a private road or autocross track to practice on.

·
no more V-6...
1993 MR-2
632 Posts
I liked that comment ... "drifting and mr2 is like pissing into the wind" ... I just got a good laugh from it... but a little tip on drifting a mid engined automo-ski.... be sure to shift your weight to the front with a quick tap of the brakes right before you steer into the turn... then get ready to fight that bastard with some mad counter-steering...

·
no more V-6...
1993 MR-2
632 Posts
drifting dane.... I just saw your post ... right after I posted mine.... I see you've given it a shot as well... an mr2 not the best design to slide around is it!!

·
Boosting 15 psi :)
1991 MR2 (jap turbo)
507 Posts
you can throw practically any car in the world sideways, some require more skill or modification to do so, but it can be done (even fwd economy cars can go sideways). You certainly dont need a 180/240/silvia to slide around, although it may be easier with one. Sure an MR2 wasnt made to drift... but neither were the aformentioned cars. No car manufacturer designs a car to be flung around sideways, so some will be more suitable for it than others. Take monster garage for example, no car was made to become a de-icing machine, but some are better for it than others.:) If drifting an MR2 is your hearts desire, then go for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wow mang, i google "AW11 drift" and this is what i find:whatwhat:
I don't know many(any) AW11 owners who have really practised drifting the AW, except me (got pissed off after locking up in the wet and sliding into a ditch, decided I should learn some basic skid control in parking lots etc. before trying to drive hard again....then discovered how incredibly fun it was and kept going;))
I have an NA AW11, to put this bluntly; it lacks the power to do keep the rear wheels spinning without some form of 'assistance' (i find this to be as much of a hinderence as the weight distribution) - cant wait to whack on this ct12:naughty:
assistance:
dirt drop- spins almost instantly, requires very quick counter steer, can get good slides on an ideal course)
uneven surface- like ripples or bumps in the seal, spent many hours on a certain corner going into a parking lot in new zealand, helps for some good powerovers (without the bumps I would not lose grip, then try compensating by increasing speed...then end up spinning violently..."pissing into the wind" that really is a good way to describe it:)
Rain/wetness REALLY helps and feels alot less battering on the car. Using the handbrake to initiate a slide is difficult in the dry (even on 45psi tyres) as the wheels take alot to lock up and stretches the cable to the extreme. In the rain its much easier to lock up the wheels and powerover.
Practising to control the AW11 in a slide is fun and hilarious. In the dry it feels really harsh on the car as it really grips, but obviously more high speed= good proper drift. Rain is incredibly fun.
Personally, i have trouble on a 120ish degree turn, to drift start till end of the corner. The car likes to 'slide' but not "around" the corner. It really prefers to just spin on the spot.
Soooo, AW11's are great, get one cheap, learn to drive it in safe conditions (parking lot at night) and have a great time!!!:D (but expect to spin out ALOT.. and to have your friends who own more 'appropriate' drift cars to laugh at you!!)
mang i could go on all day, is there anyone else on here who's tried aw11 drift? It'd be interesting to discuss techniques with someone who's actually done it. I've found most peoples advice useless due to lack of experience or experience in FR cars (which is mostly irrelevant because the handling characteristics are so unique in the AW!!)

oh heres a couple of pics of me practising in new zealand:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Drifting Dane said:
you can throw practically any car in the world sideways, some require more skill or modification to do so, but it can be done (even fwd economy cars can go sideways). You certainly dont need a 180/240/silvia to slide around, although it may be easier with one. Sure an MR2 wasnt made to drift... but neither were the aformentioned cars. No car manufacturer designs a car to be flung around sideways, so some will be more suitable for it than others. Take monster garage for example, no car was made to become a de-icing machine, but some are better for it than others.:) If drifting an MR2 is your hearts desire, then go for it.
I agree completely with what dane is saying. i'm new here so no one is gonna care wut i have to say, but he is right. If cars were meant to be drifted fromt he factory they would come with most equipment needed to drift (ex. suspension, tires, spin knob on E-brake) but thats just my opinion. I'm looking at an MR2 right now too its a 1986 N/A. No car is meant to drift you just have to make it work for you. If its what you want don't just change your mind because someone said you couldn't do it.
Adam

1 - 20 of 20 Posts