Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
270hp = Happy Foot
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i just tinted my 2005 toyota camry le exactly 1 week ago. have not used defrosters or rolled down my windows yet. but i started to use the rear defrosters 2 days ago, but my problems are that the rear defrosters done seem to work as good as it use too. Todays weather was not too bad just little sprinkles of rain here and there, so i had my defrosters on and it didnt seem to heat up enough to evaporate the small water bubbles from the rain. the car was fully warmed up and been driving for 10mins and the small rain droplets where still there, so when i got home i touched the rear glass, the bottom 2/3rds was tadly warm and the top 1/3rd of the glass was completely cold. so did my tint installer screw up my rear defrosters or this was expected to happen after installing my tint? i have 30% black tint all the way around except for windshield and the company name of the tint was johnson window film.

·
Goes Against The Grain
02 Camry SE V6
18,081 Posts
The defrost isn't meant to dry your windows...it's for when it rains and condensation is in the car fogging up your windows...or on a cold day with frost, it melts it away. But it's not meant to take the water drops away..

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
x4. You would actually want the glass to be warm to speed up the process of the tint sticking.

Thats why in the winter they tell you not to roll your windows down for a longer period than in the summer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know what you mean though. I use the defrost too when there's a bunch of condensation on the outside of my rear window and I forget to wipe it off.

·
270hp = Happy Foot
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright thanks guys, its just kinda odd. im use to having the rear defrosters slowly clearing away the condensation on the outside of the glass.

·
270hp = Happy Foot
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
im fed up. i rolled down my windows for the first time 2 days ago, and found out the tint was not all the way to the edge like i told them i wanted it to be. they first quoted me $290, $229.99 for tint and $39.99 for the premium edge, then i told them i came here last time and they quoted me $199.99 + 39.99 for the premium edge trim for a total of $250 and they said alright they can cut down the price to around there. after the installation it looked great and only cost $250.65, and its 30% tint all the way around, but few days later i found 2 really small dirt pebbles under the tint and the edge trim was half ass'd. i came back today and asked them about it and they said since they had to cut back on the price they would take it up as close to the edge as possible but not fully cover, but now i was pissed since i told them i wanted the premium edge. and just today i cracked down my windows and found that the top of the glass the tint started to fade a different color, the top piece of the glass that goes into the rubber seal in the frame. they used Johnson Window Film and they said its the Silhouette type. Right now im either going to back to them and have them re-do it since its lifetime warrenty or im going to a different tint shop that i found to be very good, since they quoted me $199.99 for my car and they said all the tint installs they do they all have the premium edge ( no "ghetto gap" is what he told me), and they use Solard guard and llumar. what do you guys recommend? bite the bullet and go to the new tint shop or go back to the first tint shop for them to re-do my tint? and just to even piss me off even more, when they where done installing the tint they left mud foot prints all over in interior.

·
Registered
8 Posts
aznlunatic206, what's the name of this tint shop so that I can avoid them in the future? and the other place that despises "ghetto gap"?

·
Registered
56 Posts
im fed up. i rolled down my windows for the first time 2 days ago, and found out the tint was not all the way to the edge like i told them i wanted it to be. they first quoted me $290, $229.99 for tint and $39.99 for the premium edge, then i told them i came here last time and they quoted me $199.99 + 39.99 for the premium edge trim for a total of $250 and they said alright they can cut down the price to around there. after the installation it looked great and only cost $250.65, and its 30% tint all the way around, but few days later i found 2 really small dirt pebbles under the tint and the edge trim was half ass'd. i came back today and asked them about it and they said since they had to cut back on the price they would take it up as close to the edge as possible but not fully cover, but now i was pissed since i told them i wanted the premium edge. and just today i cracked down my windows and found that the top of the glass the tint started to fade a different color, the top piece of the glass that goes into the rubber seal in the frame. they used Johnson Window Film and they said its the Silhouette type. Right now im either going to back to them and have them re-do it since its lifetime warrenty or im going to a different tint shop that i found to be very good, since they quoted me $199.99 for my car and they said all the tint installs they do they all have the premium edge ( no "ghetto gap" is what he told me), and they use Solard guard and llumar. what do you guys recommend? bite the bullet and go to the new tint shop or go back to the first tint shop for them to re-do my tint? and just to even piss me off even more, when they where done installing the tint they left mud foot prints all over in interior.
Well did you get a warranty on the tint? I'm getting my tint done tomorrow and I won't even consider a shop that doesn't offer a lifetime warranty... My suggestion, take pictures and if you do have a warranty, threaten to take them to court even if you have no plan to do so. That may get them to fix it free at no cost.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Bubbles will usually go away within 1 or 2 weeks, but I wouldn't bother going back to that shop if they messed up the job that badly the first time around.

Just some tips for you in the future, don't get dyed tint because it will bubble and turn purple over time.

Stick with reputable brands like Formula One, Huper Optik or 3M ceramic types, I think all 3 offer lifetime warranty.

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,534 Posts
That's hard, I don't think I'd go back because who knows what they'll do to your car if they think you're giving them a hard time - when in reality, you're just asking for what you paid for. I hope you paid with a credit card, I'd do a charge back on them if they are unwilling to work with you.

Don't forget though you'll have to pay to have the old tint removed on top of whatever it costs to actually tint the car if you go to another shop. I have FormulaOne/Llumar tint on my Camry and I like it a lot. I went with the dyed tint with the understanding I'll eventually have to go back and get my car retinted (under warranty of course) down the road once it bubbles and fades.

·
270hp = Happy Foot
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
aznlunatic206, what's the name of this tint shop so that I can avoid them in the future? and the other place that despises "ghetto gap"?
the one i went to is midnight tinting in seattle on aurora, the other place that im probably going to go to next is Advance Speed and Tint in Lynwood, near wesco body shop and clear waters touchless car wash. i dont know where you live in seattle and how close these shops are to you.

The tint is lifetime warrenty, but i came back and asked about the gap and the guy didnt look to happy, and i would ask them to remove it or redo it, but i have a feeling they will get pissed and either do a horrible job or half-ass it again. I rather go to the other tint shop and pay for them to remove it and know that thier going to do it right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts