Toyota Nation Forum banner

221 - 240 of 281 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
I don’t know so I am asking. Doing a drain and refill when you mix the new and old coolant it does not cause leaks or problems.
It’s time to change my coolant I just don’t know what I want to do flush or drain and refill. Thanks.
if you do a drain and fill most of the fluid will be new. In the example used it was 80% new, 20% old. If you do that every 5 years you aren't going to be much different than flushing every 10 year years. Don't be so overly worried about every little detail. Zoo a flush every 10 years or a drain and fill every 5 years, no big deal.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
What do you do drain and refill or flush. Just asking. Also is it better to do a drain and refill and the a second drain and refill maybe a week later. Thanks.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The biggest reason for changing the coolant is to get the benefit of the additives that are in new coolant. Those additives are what keeps internal corrosion at bay, lubricates the water pump, etc. It's also not a bad idea to change the thermostat (and the gasket) at the same time.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I guess a drain and refill is better than doing nothing at all.
My understanding is drain the radiator and then refill it. Also drain the plastic reservoir also and refill it that is all you do for a drain and refill.
If I do just a drain and refill I don’t think I will get any leaks or problems.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
What do you do drain and refill or flush. Just asking. Also is it better to do a drain and refill and the a second drain and refill maybe a week later. Thanks.
If I'm doing it I'll just do a quick drain and fill. If I'm having a shop do it I'll have them flush the system. I do that on my 89 Supercharged MR2 because it can be very tricky to bleed the system. On the Corolla it's very easy to do a drain and fill. If you do it 2 or 3 times in a short period it will be close to 100% new fluid. Close enough that it wouldn't make a difference.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Just asking a drain and refill you drain coolant out of radiator and then refill it. Also empty coolant from reservoir and refill it. Anything else. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Can you answer my question: for a coolant drain and refill all I would do is drain the radiator and then refill it. Also drain the reservoir and refill that. Anything else. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Prkface. What I was asking in my previous text was am I right about how to do a coolant drain and refill.
Also I am probably going to do it and then a week later going to do a second one.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Prkface. What I was asking in my previous text was am I right about how to do a coolant drain and refill.
Also I am probably going to do it and then a week later going to do a second one.
The more you can change the better, so getting as much as you can out of the reservoir would be recommended. As for doing a 2nd drain and fill of the radiator a week later I wouldn't. Either just do the flush up front or do a drain and fill every 3 years would be my approach.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Prkface. Just asking. I don’t know. When you do a drain and refill. You are only getting some of the coolant out not all. If you did a second drain and refill a week later wouldn’t you be getting more of the old coolant out. Just asking. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
PrkFace The last time I changed my coolant was at 95,000. I did a flush. I have 150,000 miles on my car now. I only drive 10,000 per year.
I need to change my coolant. I don’t know if I want to flush or drain and fill. I never drain and filled before. Thanks.

·
Registered
648 Posts
PrkFace The last time I changed my coolant was at 95,000. I did a flush. I have 150,000 miles on my car now. I only drive 10,000 per year.
I need to change my coolant. I don’t know if I want to flush or drain and fill. I never drain and filled before. Thanks.
Again, flush is better than drain and fill, but drain and fill will be a significant improvement over what is in there now. Both are good. If flush then good for 5 years and drain and fill good for 3 years IMO.

·
Registered
234 Posts
if its not overheating can I just top up the coolant and keep rolling, or will it corrode the insides of the engine ? It was changed at around 60k miles and its now veryclose to 120K... I added a few ounces of water once and a bit of 50/50 mix last year, not much a few ounces maybe.

back on topic, got my michelin premier AS tires... turns out costco also gave a gift card with those, so came back with fresh rubber and free groceries ! I was thinking of maybe changing the suspension, but not having worn out tires changes the situation a lot, its smooth like a brand new car now !

·
Registered
648 Posts
if its not overheating can I just top up the coolant and keep rolling, or will it corrode the insides of the engine ? It was changed at around 60k miles and its now veryclose to 120K... I added a few ounces of water once and a bit of 50/50 mix last year, not much a few ounces maybe.

back on topic, got my michelin premier AS tires... turns out costco also gave a gift card with those, so came back with fresh rubber and free groceries ! I was thinking of maybe changing the suspension, but not having worn out tires changes the situation a lot, its smooth like a brand new car now !
Overheating is no indication of the condition of the coolant. You can run pure water in most cases from a cooling standpoint. The coolant, as I mentioned above, functions in other ways. If you live in a cold climate it won't freeze at 32F like pure water and it contains anti-corrosion additives as well as lubricant for the water pump. Worn out coolant will keep the engine running at proper temp as long as the system is full, but it won't lube the water pump causing premature failure as well as not keeping corrosion in check. Corrosion build up will cause your heater core and radiator to plug or leak resulting in the need to replace them at great cost compared to regularly changing the coolant.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts

I view coolant changes the same way as an oil change. It never hurts to do it more often, a drain and fill uses a gallon or less so to me $20 every 3-5 years is worth keeping the water pump and cooling system in tip top condition.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
Overheating is no indication of the condition of the coolant. You can run pure water in most cases from a cooling standpoint. The coolant, as I mentioned above, functions in other ways. If you live in a cold climate it won't freeze at 32F like pure water and it contains anti-corrosion additives as well as lubricant for the water pump. Worn out coolant will keep the engine running at proper temp as long as the system is full, but it won't lube the water pump causing premature failure as well as not keeping corrosion in check. Corrosion build up will cause your heater core and radiator to plug or leak resulting in the need to replace them at great cost compared to regularly changing the coolant.
Exactly. People tend to think about the oil a lot but never think about the coolant and transmission fluid/gear oil.

Reactions: Pkrface
221 - 240 of 281 Posts