Toyota Nation Forum banner

261 - 280 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Supercharged. Ok. So I don’t have to change the coolant in my plastic reservoir when I do a drain and refill
All I have to do is open petcock on radiator and drain fluid out then refill radiator.
Supercharged is it really hurting car if I do a drain and refill and don’t change coolant in reservoir. Thanks.
Is it hurting the car to not change the coolant in the reservoir? Not tremendously, but still better if you can change it. Getting most of it out is as simple as a 3' section of clear hose from the hardware store to siphon it out if you don't want to invest in either a siphon pump or liquid pump.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Pkrface. I just don’t understand why when I open the petcock and drain the radiator the plastic reservoir does not drain also. Thanks.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Pkrface. I just don’t understand why when I open the petcock and drain the radiator the plastic reservoir does not drain also. Thanks.
Depends on how the reservoir is designed. I have one car where the reservoir sits higher than the radiator and that radiator doesn't even have a traditional cap on it to fill it. There is a hose leaving the bottom of the reservoir and it gravity drains into the radiator and the radiator pushes coolant up into the reservoir when it pressurizes. The reservoir has a pressure cap in it and is part of the pressurized system. When you turn off the engine and it cools down so that the coolant contracts some of the coolant in the reservoir drains back into the radiator.

Another car the reservoir sits about level with the top of the radiator and the tube runs from the top of the radiator through the center of the cap and then downward into the reservoir reaching the bottom of the container. When the system is at full pressure it pushes excess coolant through that tube into the container and when you shut off the car and it cools down the coolant contracts and sucks or siphons coolant back into the radiator. Because of this constant flow back and forth is why all reservoirs are marked with a "full cold" and "full hot" levels.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
Supercharged. Ok. So I don’t have to change the coolant in my plastic reservoir when I do a drain and refill
All I have to do is open petcock on radiator and drain fluid out then refill radiator.
Supercharged is it really hurting car if I do a drain and refill and don’t change coolant in reservoir. Thanks.
I would just do a drain and fill every 2-3 years if you don't drain the reservoir. Do you not understand how simple it is to get the battery-operated fluid transfer pump I linked? It's so simple, cheap, and easy to use. You can drain the reservoir in seconds with it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Pkrface. Do you mind if I ask a question. On my 05 corolla I have 2 hemisphere tires and 2 sumic tires. When it comes time for me to need tires should I buy 4 tires instead of just 2 tires. Reason being so I do not have different brand of tires on the car. What is your opinion. Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think for resale value especially you will have a better car with 4 tires that match :p

My friend just got a car for super cheap and surely enough it didnt have the same tires front and back... not saying that was the deciding factor in the discount he got... but

I noticed my new tires dont have nearly as much grip as my worn out ones... does it take a few hundred miles to break in new tires ? Maybe I was just being too enthusiast in the curves too :p

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
Pkrface. Do you mind if I ask a question. On my 05 corolla I have 2 hemisphere tires and 2 sumic tires. When it comes time for me to need tires should I buy 4 tires instead of just 2 tires. Reason being so I do not have different brand of tires on the car. What is your opinion. Thanks.
It's always recommended that you have 4 of the same tires. I would also stay with a brand that is known for better quality at a good price. The go-to tire that fits that bill is the General RT43 for me. Excellent tire, great price, and a well-known brand.

Reactions: 75aces

·
Registered
648 Posts
Who makes good brake pads and rotors. Thanks.
There are plenty of good options out there, and just like tires brake pads come in different forms with regard to pad material. There is organic, metallic, semi-metallic, and ceramic. There may be other materials that are used for high performance that I'm not aware of. My preference is ceramic because they wear well and are low dust. As with anything else you get what you pay for, so I avoid the cheap end. I prefer to get brake parts from Rock Auto if I am not up against a time issue and most recently used a Centric pad & rotor package for my Odyssey and have no complaints. Currently a Centric pad & rotor package from Rock Auto is $52. You would likely pay 2X that at a local parts store for lesser quality parts.

I missed your question about matching tires, but I agree with MR2 that best practice is a matched set. Not that it is a huge issue, but in those borderline situations like snow/ice or wet pavement it could make the difference between staying in control or not.

·
Registered
2016 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-flow/wheels)
148 Posts
Aside from Toyota's supplier(s)?

Centric makes good pads and rotors. Centric is the parent company of Stoptech.

Akebono makes good ceramic pads, but the ProAct isn't as aggressive as their European lineup.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Pkrface. Next time I need tires I am better getting 4 of same brand. Then only getting 2 tires and then having 2 different brand of tires on the car.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
I love the new EBC slotted rotors and Redstuff brake pads. They perform much better than stock and are also low dust.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
Pkrface. Next time I need tires I am better getting 4 of same brand. Then only getting 2 tires and then having 2 different brand of tires on the car.
Yes, it's always recommended to have 4 of the same tire. Different tires behave differently so it's not good to have different tires on different axles.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Hey, Jim. This is Frank. I saw your video where you replaced brake pads and rotors. I really enjoyed it. It was very informative. Since I never changed my own pads and rotors before. If you have more how to videos videos I would watch them. Audio was a little low. Great video. Thanks again.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
Hey, Jim. This is Frank. I saw your video where you replaced brake pads and rotors. I really enjoyed it. It was very informative. Since I never changed my own pads and rotors before. If you have more how to videos videos I would watch them. Audio was a little low. Great video. Thanks again.
Thanks. I've had so many people PM me about how to do things over the years that I thought I would actually try to start making some videos when I do things. It's a work in progress since I'm learning how to do these videos. Hopefully, they will keep getting better with practice. I've got some other videos on my YouTube channel. Feel free to check them out at JimsGarageToys on YouTube. :)

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Hey Jim. How are you. This is Frank. I have an 05 corolla and you have an 09 corolla. They both have electronic throttle control.
I always wondered how do you open the plate on the throttle body to clean it with out breaking the motor or something electronic. I know you definitely can’t force it open. Also I know it does not open easy like the older cable connected throttle bodies. Any feed back or info would be much appreciated. Jim you are always helpful. Thanks.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
Hey Jim. How are you. This is Frank. I have an 05 corolla and you have an 09 corolla. They both have electronic throttle control.
I always wondered how do you open the plate on the throttle body to clean it with out breaking the motor or something electronic. I know you definitely can’t force it open. Also I know it does not open easy like the older cable connected throttle bodies. Any feed back or info would be much appreciated. Jim you are always helpful. Thanks.
It does move pretty easily with your finger. When there is no power to it, it will move to clean it. If you want to do a complete cleaning then remove the negative battery cable and then remove the throttle body so you can get to it from both sides.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Jim. Thank you. You are totally right I did not know the plate would open that easy on the throttle body. I thought it would be harder because of the ETC.
Jim did you ever hear that if you attempt to open the plate with the key on that is where the damage will occur because of the ETC. thanks.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
Jim. Thank you. You are totally right I did not know the plate would open that easy on the throttle body. I thought it would be harder because of the ETC.
Jim did you ever hear that if you attempt to open the plate with the key on that is where the damage will occur because of the ETC. thanks.
I've never heard that for sure but if the power was on I would think that the resistor would make it harder to move since it is looking for a signal from the throttle.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Have you ever tried advics brake pads and rotors or Akebono pro act brake pads. I want to try one of these next time I need brakes. Thanks.

261 - 280 of 281 Posts