Toyota Nation Forum banner

281 - 300 of 301 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Have you ever tried advics brake pads and rotors or Akebono pro act brake pads. I want to try one of these next time I need brakes. Thanks.
I've heard good things about the Akebono brake pads but I've never bought either one as a replacement. There are a lot of decent brake pads available so there is nothing wrong with trying something to see if you like it. I had never tried the EBC brake pads but heard so many good things that I wanted to give them a shot. They didn't disappoint in any way.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Hey Jim. How are you. How have you been. This is Frank I have a question. Would you happen to know where the pcv valve is located on a 2018 corolla thanks.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Hey Jim. How are you. How have you been. This is Frank I have a question. Would you happen to know where the pcv valve is located on a 2018 corolla thanks.
It's located behind the intake manifold. You need to loosen the bolts holding the intake manifold on and pull the manifold back to have access. It's not really hard but it can be changed or reached to install an oil catch can without completely removing the intake manifold. This is a picture from my wife's 2010 Prius when I did remove the intake manifold to clean it and install an oil catch can. You can see the PCV valve below the #3 intake port. The PCV valve is in the same location on the Corolla and the 2ZR-FE.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Jim. Thank you very much. I did not know it was in that place. I have a 2005 corolla and it’s behind the valve cover. It’s seems like it’s easier to get to than in the 2018 corolla.
Like I said thanks again. I really appreciate it. Frank.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Jim. I like talking to you about car maintenance and repair. You are very knowledgeable. What kind of work do you do. Thanks
Franks

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Jim. I like talking to you about car maintenance and repair. You are very knowledgeable. What kind of work do you do. Thanks
Franks
Thanks. I've always enjoyed working on and fixing cars. I've worked in the automotive field before and it's always been a hobby. I went back to school 16 years ago to be an X-ray Tech. I'm now in a specialty field and break up kidney stones in patients using sound waves and lasers. I work in the OR of many of the hospitals in OR and WA.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Jim. Thank you very much. I did not know it was in that place. I have a 2005 corolla and it’s behind the valve cover. It’s seems like it’s easier to get to than in the 2018 corolla.
Like I said thanks again. I really appreciate it. Frank.
Most cars had them in that location. It looked harder to get to than it really was. It took me about 10 minutes to gain access to it in my Corolla. At some point, I'll do a video for installing an oil catch can and that will show the steps.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Jim. Question: I have an 05 corolla and the pcv valve is behind the valve cover. Why did they move it to behind the intake manifold for the 2018 corolla. Just curious. Thanks.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Jim. Question: I have an 05 corolla and the pcv valve is behind the valve cover. Why did they move it to behind the intake manifold for the 2018 corolla. Just curious. Thanks.
Only an engineer would know that for sure but it's a different engine so maybe they felt it was an improved design. It's something that you only have to service every 100k miles. Since it is pretty easy to access it's not a major issue.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
284 Posts
Stay with your Continentals the Michelin Defenders aren’t bad but they don’t do good in the rain or at least the 4 sets on my dads didn’t so we switched to Pirelli which are amazing in the rain, snow everything even on dry pavement they grip better

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Stay with your Continentals the Michelin Defenders aren’t bad but they don’t do good in the rain or at least the 4 sets on my dads didn’t so we switched to Pirelli which are amazing in the rain, snow everything even on dry pavement they grip better
If you want a good tire in the wet that is a Michelin get the Premier A/S. They have been highly rated. I've never been a huge fan of Pirelli myself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I put Firestone Firehawk Indy500 on this summer and I love them. Very sticky and responsive. Very happy with them. They are 225/40/18 (black Scion TRD rims)

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,517 Posts
Jim are Goodyear weather ready tires any good. Thanks.
Honestly, it's hard to say which tire works the best for your road conditions. Each environment to some degree is the same, but is unique too. Recommendations are tough to definitively say they'd work for you. You may find yourself just buying a set and find out for yourself if they work or not.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
I'm not a Goodyear tire fan. The few sets that I've had over the years have been terrible. They might be okay but I wouldn't ever buy them. There are other tires that I would rather buy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Goodyear is a decent American choice that lives up to its name. And the Weatherreadys are perhaps the best of the lot (esp. for folks that don't want to own a separate set for winter).

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Jim. Question. Are any all weather tires any good. Thanks.
I think this comes down to where you live. In moderate climates and those that live in the south, there are many decent A/S tires that will be fine. As far as all-weather tires, time will tell as more come out. For people in the north, I'm still a fan of the best tire for the job and that is using a winter tire and a summer tire or a UHP A/S tire for the rest of the year.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Goodyear is a decent American choice that lives up to its name. And the Weatherreadys are perhaps the best of the lot (esp. for folks that don't want to own a separate set for winter).
They are okay, I've just always felt there was a better option available.

281 - 300 of 301 Posts