Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
You are dead right on the difference between all-season and all-weather. If it were my car and the difference were only $76 I would opt for the WeatherReady all day long. Right now the price difference for my MDX is $85 a tire from another decent choice and that's a bit more difficult to swallow.

I have not had the WeatherReady, but I had it's predecessor the TripleTred on my Honda Odyssey for the last 6 years. The wet and snow traction was incredible and I got 81K out of them before an unfortunate sidewall puncture took them out, but they still had 7/32 tread left. The WeatherReady tweaked the tread pattern slightly (compared to the TripleTred) as well as the rubber compound was softened slightly for even better winter traction. My TripleTreds came with an 80K tread warranty where the WeatherReady gets 60K due to the softer rubber. IMO there are only a few spots in the entire country that really need dedicated snow tires and the WeatherReady will perform close enough in most cases, especially if you haven't typically ran winter tires.

Unfortunately the WeatherReady is not offered in any size even close to what I needed for the Odyssey, so I put the RT43's on. In reality central Ohio doesn't get enough snow to worry about it, but I know I'm going to miss those tires for the few days a year it was a factor, mostly on trips north to see family. The other thing the WeatherReady does really well is dealing with water at highway speed. They really slice through standing water. The only people who won't like them is those who like a super quiet and super soft ride. The ride will be more firm and handling crisp. Stay diligent on the rotations and noise won't be an issue, every 5-6K miles which is the recommendation for all tires, but some tires are more forgiving of lax rotation than others.
Thanks for the feedback. Really helps make my decision to get these. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
485 Posts
So it’s better to get an all weather tire than an all season tire.
If you need the capability. It's a great option for those who live in moderate to moderate-heavy snow climates, especially where elevation change isn't an issue. An all-weather tire performs very close to a dedicated winter tire and only the most extreme snow accumulation areas then need a dedicated snow tire. Naturally some cars benefit more from dedicated winter tires than others. Sports cars as an example, but then many people don't drive sports cars all year in areas that get consistent heavy snow.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I live right outside of Philly. I never had all weather tires. I guess they are more expensive. How are they in rain and dry conditions. Also how long do they last. Thanks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I live right outside of Philly. I never had all weather tires. I guess they are more expensive. How are they in rain and dry conditions. Also how long do they last. Thanks.
There are many factors for how long tires last. I got 80K miles out of my GoodYear TripleTreds and would have gotten 100K if it hadn't been for a sidewall puncture. The TripleTred was the predecessor to the WeatherReady, and it has a softer rubber compound to do even better in snow and are rated for 60K miles. They are plenty sticky on dry and very impressive in the rain. I would have bought the WeatherReady in a heartbeat, but there wasn't a size that was anywhere close enough to work. Depending on the size they can be a small amount more or fairly significantly more. All you can do is compare the tires that are available in your size and make the decision that is right for you.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Pkrface. So I would only want to get all weather tires if I live in an area that get snow. If I don’t get snow. Don’t buy theses.
Are you a tire guy. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Pkrface. The tires I have now are ok. Hemisphere and sumic. My next tires. I like to get something good. I don’t mind paying a little more for something good for my 05 corolla. Thanks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Pkrface. So I would only want to get all weather tires if I live in an area that get snow. If I don’t get snow. Don’t buy theses.
Are you a tire guy. Thanks.
Former tire guy. You don't have to have snow as they also do great dry and rain. I don't get much snow where I live and I would still get them just for their rain performance if you don't mind paying the extra that they cost, but I've never been one to go cheap on tires. Good tires are worth every penny IMO.

PS every person has their own definition of good, right? So it comes down to the performance features that are important to you. See post 34 in this thread.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I agree good tires are worth every penny. Since you are a former tire guy I was asking your recommendations on tires. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
485 Posts
195/65 r15
Yeah the WeatherReady isn't too hateful price wise in that size. The General Altimax RT43 is also a very good choice at a nice savings. Can't really go wrong with either tire.

·
Registered
485 Posts
How are cooper and Michelin tires
All tire manufacturers make good tires and crappy tires IMO. You just have to look at total value in each case. I find that Cooper is often a 2nd or 3rd choice for me. Michelin has some very good tires and some not so good, but the price they command rarely makes sense to me. I can nearly always get a tire just as good as Michelin and sometimes better for way less money.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Preface. I am just curious what is your top brand or what brand you like. Thanks.
I am not a "brand" guy so much as I have different tires i like for different purposes. When someone asks me to recommend a tire I ask for size first and then what properties are important to them. My 80 year old dad does not want the same things I want out of a tire. Once I know the size and what is important to the driver I look to see what is available. of course price often comes into play as well, so sometimes it's simply a matter of what tire is the best value for the money. Other times it's pure price, but if there is a tire that is only $2 more that is significantly better I'll make sure the person is aware so they can choose.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Pkrface. You say for me. weather ready tire or the general Altimax Rt43. Yes and I do appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Pkrface. I want a tire that is good in wet and dry conditions and also will last long.
Also you can say my hemisphere and Sumic tired are crappy.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,467 Posts
I value your opinion, and would like to reiterate what I already mentioned...
View attachment 300351

And the Weatherready tires are not all-season, they are a notch above that and have better snow ratings than all-season tires. If you have first hand experience with the Weatherready tires, I'd love to hear.

Thanks!
I understand that but I would still opt for a true winter tire that is designed for that weather with no compromises. To me traction with the surface is the most important feature with any tire and not worth saving a few bucks on when it comes to my safety or my wife's safety. I've just had many instances over the years that 12" was all it took to avoid an accident and going with a lower traction tire wouldn't have allowed me to avoid it. Different ways of looking at it but I've just learned to not make compromises when it comes to tire choices. It doesn't really cost more to have a dedicated set of winter tires since your 3 season tires will last longer.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Pkrface. I want a tire that is good in wet and dry conditions and also will last long.
Also you can say my hemisphere and Sumic tired are crappy.
The WeatherReady will be better wet than the RT43, but the RT43 will last longer and still be very good in wet.

41 - 60 of 169 Posts