Toyota Nation Forum banner

New tire time

17K views 300 replies 16 participants last post by  SuperchargedMR2 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

What tires are you using on your Corolla 10 gen? I am due for another set after two
Years/30K miles on my continental Pure Contact. The DWS is still showing but between the threads have some cracking between the threads. Majority of city driving with highway. 60 city/40 highway.

What are you all using? Is the defender a good choice or should I go with another set of continentals? I have the stock 16” hubcap steel wheels. Should be 205/55/16

Pictures of the tires:

See less See more
#232 ·
Prkface. What I was asking in my previous text was am I right about how to do a coolant drain and refill.
Also I am probably going to do it and then a week later going to do a second one.
The more you can change the better, so getting as much as you can out of the reservoir would be recommended. As for doing a 2nd drain and fill of the radiator a week later I wouldn't. Either just do the flush up front or do a drain and fill every 3 years would be my approach.

#234 ·
PrkFace The last time I changed my coolant was at 95,000. I did a flush. I have 150,000 miles on my car now. I only drive 10,000 per year.
I need to change my coolant. I don’t know if I want to flush or drain and fill. I never drain and filled before. Thanks.

#235 ·
PrkFace The last time I changed my coolant was at 95,000. I did a flush. I have 150,000 miles on my car now. I only drive 10,000 per year.
I need to change my coolant. I don’t know if I want to flush or drain and fill. I never drain and filled before. Thanks.
Again, flush is better than drain and fill, but drain and fill will be a significant improvement over what is in there now. Both are good. If flush then good for 5 years and drain and fill good for 3 years IMO.

#237 ·
if its not overheating can I just top up the coolant and keep rolling, or will it corrode the insides of the engine ? It was changed at around 60k miles and its now veryclose to 120K... I added a few ounces of water once and a bit of 50/50 mix last year, not much a few ounces maybe.

back on topic, got my michelin premier AS tires... turns out costco also gave a gift card with those, so came back with fresh rubber and free groceries ! I was thinking of maybe changing the suspension, but not having worn out tires changes the situation a lot, its smooth like a brand new car now !

#238 ·
Overheating is no indication of the condition of the coolant. You can run pure water in most cases from a cooling standpoint. The coolant, as I mentioned above, functions in other ways. If you live in a cold climate it won't freeze at 32F like pure water and it contains anti-corrosion additives as well as lubricant for the water pump. Worn out coolant will keep the engine running at proper temp as long as the system is full, but it won't lube the water pump causing premature failure as well as not keeping corrosion in check. Corrosion build up will cause your heater core and radiator to plug or leak resulting in the need to replace them at great cost compared to regularly changing the coolant.

Reactions: SuperchargedMR2
#241 ·
Well thanks to all, I got my coolant flushed at the dealership today while they did that module recall thing, and they also caught my throttle body a bit dirty, got them to do that do... quite excited to go get my "new" car ... new tires new pink juice, clean butterfly :) :) :)

#242 ·
That's good but I hate to see people pay good money to a dealer when cleaning the throttle body is crazy simple. At least you are good to go for many more miles.

#243 · (Edited)
Im curious why they suggested that, would a code show on the computer (they said it used more fuel under acceleration) if it has a dirty throttle body? Or did they go poking around opening things to find issues... LOL

Doing it DIY, is it a 2 man job? I read the electronic throttle shouldnt be moved, and a second person should depress the gaz with the key in so the plate moves electronically

#244 ·
I've never heard that. I've had mine off before. Normally I just spray in throttle body cleaner and wipe with a clean cloth. I had the throttle body off on my wife's 2010 Priusa few months ago and gave it a really good cleaning for her 120k mile service. The last time I cleaned mine on my 2009 Corolla S it took me about 10 minutes total.

I don't believe the dealer at all. They tell everyone that they need a throttle body cleaning. All of those extra services are commission based so service writers make a lot of money on them. I cleaned the throttle body on my 2009 Corolla S and it was at the dealer a few weeks later for the airbag recall. They called me and said it needed to be cleaned. I said really? I just cleaned it 3 weeks ago. He was trying to back track and make excuses. When I picked up my car he said they got the cars mixed up. I knew that wasn't the truth but that's how they get paid. We as customers have to know how they do things.

Reactions: trlhiker
#245 ·
Just to add to what super charged said I have an 05 corolla. It has 150,000 miles on it. It does not lose or burn any oil at all. I never have to add oil. The first time I went to dealer for air bag recall they did multi point inspection. Every single time your car goes to Toyota dealer they do this inspection to try and make money. The guy comes out and says my timing chain tensioner is staring to leak. He also said at the mileage on my car 105k that is when they start to leak. I declined and did not get it done. If it really was leaking my oil level would be going down between oil changes. I never lost a drop of oil and I now have 150,000 on car.
I recently went again for airbag recall. Yes they did multi point inspection. With this inspection nothing was wrong with car. If timing chain tensioner wAs truly leaking like they said it would still be leaking. Leaks don’t go away.

#246 ·
My friend works at a car dealership and he told me himself that dealers don’t make money on cars. They make money on service.
I was agreeing with super charged. That you do have to be careful because the dealer does tell you things are broken or leaking and they are not to make money

#247 ·
My friend works at a car dealership and he told me himself that dealers don’t make money on cars. They make money on service.
I was agreeing with super charged. That you do have to be careful because the dealer does tell you things are broken or leaking and they are not to make money
So very true. I used to sell cars and 70-90% of the profit comes from the service department. Used cars make more money than new cars sales.

#248 ·
Well I was actually expecting to have to clean it soon as it wasnt cleaned when another mech did battery/alternator last winter. Im glad they its the only service they proposed... they always make it seem like its ultra urgent and important to do that service ! Hate those places lol, but at least they changed my coolant for less than I thought. Ended up paying less than planned for both throttle body and coolant change... Id actually go back if theres anything I dont find I have time, and thats comparing the dealership to other independant places !

#251 ·
When I just did a drain and fill on my wife's 2010 Prius the reservoir drained when I drained the radiator. If I was doing a drain and fill on a car and the reservoir didn't drain I would drain it separately since it would be easy.

#252 ·
I have an 05 corolla. I just did a drain and refill. I opened up the petcock on the radiator and drained all the fluid from the radiator. That did not drain the plastic reservoir.
Yes you have to drain it separate. The only thing I can think of but don’t know if I am right is take the hose of.
The hose that is connected to the radiator fill neck.
I don’t know if this is right. How would you empty it. Thanks.

#254 ·
I have an 05 corolla. I just did a drain and refill. I opened up the petcock on the radiator and drained all the fluid from the radiator. That did not drain the plastic reservoir.
Yes you have to drain it separate. The only thing I can think of but don’t know if I am right is take the hose of.
The hose that is connected to the radiator fill neck.
I don’t know if this is right. How would you empty it. Thanks.
I would just loosen the hose that leads to the bottom of it. The other option is to use a battery-powered transfer pump. They are only $10 at Harbor Freight and come in handy for so many things. I use mine for so many things.

#258 ·
First: when doing a drain and refill do you really have to change coolant in reservoir. Is their that much in it.
Also I don’t know why on my 05 corolla when you drain the radiator why the reservoir does not drain.
You don't have to do anything if you don't want to. If you want to then you have a couple of options that I already explained to you. Drain it from a hose that leads to the bottom of the reservoir or just buy one of the battery-operated fluid transfer pumps. They come in very handy, I use mine all the time.

#256 ·
Question: on your wife’s Prius you opened radiator petcock and drained coolant from radiator then refilled radiator.
Also by opening petcock and draining radiator that drained the reservoir.
Well on my 05 corolla draining radiator by petcock does not drain reservoir. I wish it did.

#259 ·
Question: on your wife’s Prius you opened radiator petcock and drained coolant from radiator then refilled radiator.
Also by opening petcock and draining radiator that drained the reservoir.
Well on my 05 corolla draining radiator by petcock does not drain reservoir. I wish it did.
Some cars do, some don't. If it didn't it would take 5 seconds for my battery-operated fluid transfer pump to empty it. :):):)

#260 ·
Supercharged. Ok. So I don’t have to change the coolant in my plastic reservoir when I do a drain and refill
All I have to do is open petcock on radiator and drain fluid out then refill radiator.
Supercharged is it really hurting car if I do a drain and refill and don’t change coolant in reservoir. Thanks.

#261 ·
Supercharged. Ok. So I don’t have to change the coolant in my plastic reservoir when I do a drain and refill
All I have to do is open petcock on radiator and drain fluid out then refill radiator.
Supercharged is it really hurting car if I do a drain and refill and don’t change coolant in reservoir. Thanks.
Is it hurting the car to not change the coolant in the reservoir? Not tremendously, but still better if you can change it. Getting most of it out is as simple as a 3' section of clear hose from the hardware store to siphon it out if you don't want to invest in either a siphon pump or liquid pump.

#263 ·
Depends on how the reservoir is designed. I have one car where the reservoir sits higher than the radiator and that radiator doesn't even have a traditional cap on it to fill it. There is a hose leaving the bottom of the reservoir and it gravity drains into the radiator and the radiator pushes coolant up into the reservoir when it pressurizes. The reservoir has a pressure cap in it and is part of the pressurized system. When you turn off the engine and it cools down so that the coolant contracts some of the coolant in the reservoir drains back into the radiator.

Another car the reservoir sits about level with the top of the radiator and the tube runs from the top of the radiator through the center of the cap and then downward into the reservoir reaching the bottom of the container. When the system is at full pressure it pushes excess coolant through that tube into the container and when you shut off the car and it cools down the coolant contracts and sucks or siphons coolant back into the radiator. Because of this constant flow back and forth is why all reservoirs are marked with a "full cold" and "full hot" levels.

#265 ·
Pkrface. Do you mind if I ask a question. On my 05 corolla I have 2 hemisphere tires and 2 sumic tires. When it comes time for me to need tires should I buy 4 tires instead of just 2 tires. Reason being so I do not have different brand of tires on the car. What is your opinion. Thanks.

#267 ·
It's always recommended that you have 4 of the same tires. I would also stay with a brand that is known for better quality at a good price. The go-to tire that fits that bill is the General RT43 for me. Excellent tire, great price, and a well-known brand.

Reactions: 75aces
#266 ·
I think for resale value especially you will have a better car with 4 tires that match :p

My friend just got a car for super cheap and surely enough it didnt have the same tires front and back... not saying that was the deciding factor in the discount he got... but

I noticed my new tires dont have nearly as much grip as my worn out ones... does it take a few hundred miles to break in new tires ? Maybe I was just being too enthusiast in the curves too :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.