Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to racing as in learning everything I can and getting serious. I have alittle experince in my friends 3000 gt vr-4 that we race alot. So Im not completely retarded to the racing. Been watching auto cross and Initial D :p Fell in love with the video "Jens supra" Drifts a 1000 hp supra. I was hooked. Then I saw a 600 hp Toyota corolla Ae86 Trueno. I knew drifting was what I wanted to learn. Im looking for info on what kinda car would be good for a newb drifter on a 4000 dollar budget? If I could get some feed back. That would be great.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Any links/info on that 600 hp corolla? I've never heard of it before and would like to read about it.

Concerning the car, get an s13. Definately newer than an ae86 and cheaper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah... fast. The s13 eh? Im coming up with all kinds of different looking stuff. :p ill check it out. thanks.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
2wickedtoyz said:
1st gen rx7 they don't sell for more than 12oousd and are really light and they can be upgraded very easily:thumbup:
RX7 = Apex seals :thumbdown

I'll agree on the S13. But everybody and their mother-in-law's fuck buddy have one. You won't be "unique", but you'll have a damn easy time upgrading (relative to other cars, of course) thanks to the popularity.

Though you have experience, a 3000GT VR-4 isn't ideal to drift with... it's DAMN HEAVY. But doable. If you've drifted/raced with this, you should be able to pick up drifting much better once you get into a lighter car.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
pjohnson said:
Yeah... fast. The s13 eh? Im coming up with all kinds of different looking stuff. :p ill check it out. thanks.
Try looking for Nissan 240sx :p:. People and their fancy verbiage will just confuse you.

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
pjohnson said:
what kinda car would be good for a newb drifter on a 4000 dollar budget?
First you need to wear a flame suit.

Second good luck with spending $4000 on a "drift car" because you won't simply get one for that kind of money.

Drifting is even more expensive than circuit racing / auto-x so I hope you know what you're getting into before even think about getting a car for it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
^You can get a drift car for about $4000. Read my post above. It's all about the driver. the more crap you get for your car, won't make you a better drifter. You need to get skills first. I've been around drifting for about 3 years now and this is what I learned. havne't done any drifting yet, but I know more about drifting then most people.

Pjohnson:

Actually, there are places for you to drift. If you're near houston, you can go to the Reliance center.

try www.driftday.com to see when they're comming back to your area. They have instructors that are Pro drivers that will sit in your car with you, or they'll drive your car for you. It's for people who just started to amatures.

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
CamryPunk said:
^You can get a drift car for about $4000. Read my post above. It's all about the driver. the more crap you get for your car, won't make you a better drifter. You need to get skills first. I've been around drifting for about 3 years now and this is what I learned. havne't done any drifting yet, but I know more about drifting then most people.
Well as far as I'm concerned that's a $4000 car that you use for drifting. I track my Camry you don't hear me claim that I have a track car. :p:

I've seen way too many people who were too late to realize how expensive this "sport" is. Yeah you might be able to get a car to do drifting at that price but maintenance and cost of tires will run your wallet empty very fast.

But if you really do know what you're getting into then nobody can stop you except your wallet.

·
nice guy
191 Posts
drifting is expensive as hell....i am just learning myself. I don't even go on the roads just in parking lots. And i broke a roll bar..and ripped my back bumper off....not to mention tires$$$$$.

The best thing to do is....get two sets of rims. Try to drift one set until they blow out, then put the other set on..and drive home. That way you would have a good set of tires to get you arround.
I would also have a daily driver....because you never know when stuff breaks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts