Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm in the market for an earlier MR2 (an 89). A lady that I know here in town has it for sale but isn't trying to get rid of it in a hurry, so I have time on my side. It's a 5-speed, with the supercharged/intercooled setup, has about 130,000 miles on it. The interior is about what you'd expect for a car that old, the driver's seat has a decent sized tear in it; but overall it seems like a great car. Basically I was just wondering about how much I should expect to pay for it. Reviewing the blue book it says about $1700, but I have heard that it can be inaccurate as far as uncommon and sought-after cars go. Also, what (if any) are the common problems on these cars? Does the supercharger tend to go bad quickly? Is there anything that I really need to watch out for. I don't think this nice older lady is out to rip me off, but you never know.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmm, in my experience, a rare, in good condition, MR2 SC could cost you quite a bit more than the KBB value...quite a bit more... Maybe if your lucky that lady doesnt realize it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think she knows. When I brought up the kbb price she said that it sure didn't sound like much. Are you thinking closer to 3k? or even up to 4k? Cuz I can't afford much more than 3. Thanks again!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't think the supercharger will tend to go bad. Unless they install it improperly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It can go "bad" if nobody ever thought to keep oil in it.

A really nice '89 SC can go for $7k. You get it for under $3k with no mechanical problems and you've pretty much stolen it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts