Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Corolla Base
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for a nice set of "summer" (alloy?) rims for my 10.5 gen rolla.
It's magnetic grey so I'm thinking something like these would look cool.

5 bolt pattern and I think it's 5x100? did a rough measurement.
I'll never lower the car, I don't like lowered cars if that matters.

So basically what size rims can I get and what should i look for.
16" 5x100? is that correct? Would 5x114 fit?

Thank you guys!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey silver,

Another ontario person! Anything you like would do uf it is 5x100. It is just remive bolt and put it on. If they are different, the 4 digits numbers. You will need adapter which will be rings like a washer, to make it fit.

If you want to feel more of the accelerated power, get same sized rims but lighter.

The 3 digits number which means the stud is longer if memory recalled.

I am sure more people will chime in. Just get something that you really like. It is alll spoiled down to what you want and like. For accelerated power.!lighter equal is better most of the tim3e.

Good luck!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,329 Posts
Looking for a nice set of "summer" (alloy?) rims for my 10.5 gen rolla.
It's magnetic grey so I'm thinking something like these would look cool.

5 bolt pattern and I think it's 5x100? did a rough measurement.
I'll never lower the car, I don't like lowered cars if that matters.

So basically what size rims can I get and what should i look for.
16" 5x100? is that correct? Would 5x114 fit?

Thank you guys!
Make sure that you pay attention to the wheel weight. The lighter the better as braking and acceleration will benefit from lesser unsprung weight.

5x100 bolt pattern
54.1mm center bore size - use a centering ring if wheel bore size is bigger

If you want to fill out the wheel well a little better than get a wider wheel. Many of us use a 17"x8" wheel with a 225/45R17 tire. If you lower the car just a little on TRD or Eibach springs it will look like it should have and handle better too. You don't have to slam it, I hate that look too. A subtle drop getting rid of the 4x4 stance looks great and proper. The 10th gen Corolla needs this correction. :grin:

Reactions: Cuban Legend

·
Registered
2012 Corolla Base
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hey silver,

Another ontario person! Anything you like would do uf it is 5x100. It is just remive bolt and put it on. If they are different, the 4 digits numbers. You will need adapter which will be rings like a washer, to make it fit.

If you want to feel more of the accelerated power, get same sized rims but lighter.

The 3 digits number which means the stud is longer if memory recalled.

I am sure more people will chime in. Just get something that you really like. It is alll spoiled down to what you want and like. For accelerated power.!lighter equal is better most of the tim3e.

Good luck!
Hey outfire!
Haha yessir, another canuck eh? :D

Seems like I was right with the 5x100 size. So that's good I know what to look for now!

For weights, I figure that aluminum alloy rims would be lighter than the stock steels no?
Make sure that you pay attention to the wheel weight. The lighter the better as braking and acceleration will benefit from lesser unsprung weight.

5x100 bolt pattern
54.1mm center bore size - use a centering ring if wheel bore size is bigger

If you want to fill out the wheel well a little better than get a wider wheel. Many of us use a 17"x8" wheel with a 225/45R17 tire. If you lower the car just a little on TRD or Eibach springs it will look like it should have and handle better too. You don't have to slam it, I hate that look too. A subtle drop getting rid of the 4x4 stance looks great and proper. The 10th gen Corolla needs this correction. :grin:
Thanks Supercharged, some really good info there.
Had no idea about the bore size, thanks for that. Rim size - I can go up to 17"s like you say without rubbing issues? That opens up the possibilities a bit. :)

Now is it true narrower tires provide better fuel economy? Just asking, the fuel economy is already great for me. Averaging about 7L/100K according to the dashboard instruments.

I might be better off buying new rims it seems. That way I'll know they will fit. In this case do you guys order online or go in store? Any recommendations there?

Should I worry about the offest too? I hear +35mm is what I need?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,329 Posts
Thanks Supercharged, some really good info there.
Had no idea about the bore size, thanks for that. Rim size - I can go up to 17"s like you say without rubbing issues? That opens up the possibilities a bit. :)

Now is it true narrower tires provide better fuel economy? Just asking, the fuel economy is already great for me. Averaging about 7L/100K according to the dashboard instruments.

I might be better off buying new rims it seems. That way I'll know they will fit. In this case do you guys order online or go in store? Any recommendations there?

Should I worry about the offest too? I hear +35mm is what I need?
You can use 15", 16", 17" or 18" wheels. The sweet spot seems to be 17" wheels. If you get the proper tire size the diameter will be the same for every wheel size and you will have no rubbing issues, not even close. I have 17"x8" wheels with a +35mm offset and I have plenty of room even on my BC coilovers. Keep in mind though that I don't slam my car like some owners.

If you compare the same tire you will get slightly better MPG with a narrower size. Different tires will perform differently. If you want look at LRR (low rolling resistance) tires for maximum MPG. Here are the proper tire sizes for each wheel size.

195/65R15
205/55R16
205/50R17
225/45R17
225/40R18

The 205/50R17 will give a little better MPG while the wider 225/45R17 will be a better handling tire. :grin:

·
Registered
2012 Corolla Base
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can use 15", 16", 17" or 18" wheels. The sweet spot seems to be 17" wheels. If you get the proper tire size the diameter will be the same for every wheel size and you will have no rubbing issues, not even close. I have 17"x8" wheels with a +35mm offset and I have plenty of room even on my BC coilovers. Keep in mind though that I don't slam my car like some owners.

If you compare the same tire you will get slightly better MPG with a narrower size. Different tires will perform differently. If you want look at LRR (low rolling resistance) tires for maximum MPG. Here are the proper tire sizes for each wheel size.

195/65R15
205/55R16
205/50R17
225/45R17
225/40R18

The 205/50R17 will give a little better MPG while the wider 225/45R17 will be a better handling tire. :grin:

Oh man thank you so much!!
That really makes life easier for me.

I love this forum! :D

I was thinking of getting some spacers too, maybe just a few mm to help with handling. Would said spacers work with the "hubcentric" centering rings?
(The RTX Arsenic's have a 73.1mm bore so I'd need some aluminum centering rings.) Also thinking of lightly buffing the chrome parts of the Arsenic rims to reduce the chrome's shininess. I don't want too much "bling" on these things. lol

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,329 Posts
Oh man thank you so much!!
That really makes life easier for me.

I love this forum! :D

I was thinking of getting some spacers too, maybe just a few mm to help with handling. Would said spacers work with the "hubcentric" centering rings?
(The RTX Arsenic's have a 73.1mm bore so I'd need some aluminum centering rings.) Also thinking of lightly buffing the chrome parts of the Arsenic rims to reduce the chrome's shininess. I don't want too much "bling" on these things. lol
The size of the spacer will depend on the wheel width and offset. If you use any spacers always get ones with a 54.1mm hub centric center bore and you will be fine. I have a set of 17x7 FRS wheels that I have my 205/50R17 winter tires mounted on. I use a 20mm spacer with them since the offset is 48mm. Do a search for spacers as I posted a thread about different ones. :wink:

Reactions: Silver_Pharaoh

·
Registered
2012 Corolla Base
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Decided on RTX Twin rims, 16".
Have not purchased yet though just waiting to hear back on a question about some installation kit sold with the tires.

Looking at tires now, sucks these aren't 15" rims so I could just swap the all seasons off the stock steels...

Any preference on tire manufacture here? They all pretty much the same? Or do some just make terrible tires?

EDIT: Also what about TPMS? I read in a thread here that 2012 corollas dont have these? I'm pretty sure I have the "L" model. (There's no badging on the trunk that shows the model) Do I have to worry about TPMS?

·
Registered
175 Posts
silver,

which thread that you read that rolla 2012 does not have tpms sensors?

for tpms sensors, just get the clone one from where you bought the rims and tires so they put everything on at once and all you do is sway tires over summer and winter. this is the best option for not going with non-cloned tpms and spent money on resetting tools or trip to a shop for them resetting

·
Registered
2012 Corolla Base
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
silver,

which thread that you read that rolla 2012 does not have tpms sensors?

for tpms sensors, just get the clone one from where you bought the rims and tires so they put everything on at once and all you do is sway tires over summer and winter. this is the best option for not going with non-cloned tpms and spent money on resetting tools or trip to a shop for them resetting
This one: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/324-10th-gen-corolla-2nd-gen-matrix-suspension-brakes-wheel-forum/400137-no-more-tpms-2012-corollas.html

I'm ordering from Canadawheels.com, and TPMS are $114/sensor.... Which means I'll probably drive without them. I can ignore the warning light when I have the rims on.

But even if I get the sensors, don't I have to get them linked to the car every time I change the tires, like every season? That can get pricey over time.... $90/re-program from what I've been reading..

I am also in Canada where TPMS is not required by law so I'm hoping that Toyota did in fact not include TPMS in the Canadian models.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Both of my cars are 09 matrix and venza and they both have tpms. I see that they removed for the 2012 base option? they decided to go back to the old abs detection method? since you have the L. this is standard.

they do have clones tpms where it clones your original ids so you dont need to have it reprogrammed every time you change tires.

$114 per tpms? i got mine for $50 a piece at downtown toyota dealer. if you decide to get dedicated sensors and have many cars in the family. might as well invest in this.

http://www.ateqtpm.com/quickset/. for sensors go to rockauto. they sells the same one toyota sold me, the denso for $42 canadian a piece. the ateq if I remember correctly is about $150.

·
Registered
2012 Corolla Base
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Both of my cars are 09 matrix and venza and they both have tpms. I see that they removed for the 2012 base option? they decided to go back to the old abs detection method? since you have the L. this is standard.

they do have clones tpms where it clones your original ids so you dont need to have it reprogrammed every time you change tires.

$114 per tpms? i got mine for $50 a piece at downtown toyota dealer. if you decide to get dedicated sensors and have many cars in the family. might as well invest in this.

http://www.ateqtpm.com/quickset/. for sensors go to rockauto. they sells the same one toyota sold me, the denso for $42 canadian a piece. the ateq if I remember correctly is about $150.
Okay but why bother buying the sensors if they switched to the ABS method? Might as well skip buying them and save the cash if the car dosn't even use them right?

The ABS method measures stopping force or something from what I've read. There's no sensor inside the tire?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.