Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
slpr1mz FTW :-)
a family car
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this site is sweet but let me get down to the goods.

i have a 99 XLE(auto v6 power everything lame... somethimes lol), and a college student who works a crap job so lately i've turned into a major DIY guy.

i have a couple of problems that i'm sure i know what they are, but i want to kno if any one has had problems same as me.

question 1
first of all my check engine/emissions light:

question 2
while driving hear and feeling a "thumping"

question 3
starting car and at idle

question 1
first of all my check engine/emissions light:
the light is on, and after running an obdII and going to a smog check the problems are:
P0401 & P0402( EGR flow insuficiant/excesive)
i've gone to toyota and asked the service manajor whats up,
he told me to first try checking and changing vacum tubbing because its notorious for my car. he's only changed 1 egr in the 14yrs he's been there only because some one insisted and it didn't do anything. after checking my vacum tubes one does seem to have a slight crack in it and i'm changine that out soon.
also, would a custom shortram intake have any effect with this afterwards? i've custom cut the piping so the vacum lines are as close to the stock positions as possible. everything is running fine expet at idle sometimes... later question.
thnx :-D

question 2
as i drive i feel a slight thump on my passenger side that seems to increase with speed. i've check rotated and balenced the tires and the feeling doesn't seem to let up.i have a strong feeling it could be one of the bearing in my CV joint, but after recently checking for a suspension upgrade i noticed my control arms rubber brushings are becoming warn out. the feeling is most apparent while in a long left lean, not so much a turn. there is a sweet spot where it doesn't have a problem but thats with a right lean.
i should also mention i recently discovered my CV boot on my driver side is torn, and i'm planning on buying a new axle as soon as i can. the boot on the passenger side seems to be fine and in good condition.

question 3
starting car and at idle
ok, so recently i've notice my car doesn't seem to fire on all six cylinders all the time, and some times it wont hold an idle w/o throttle after i stop it and turn it on quickly.
there is any noise when it doesn this other than it sounds like i'm turning the car off. it just doesn't hold an idle. this started b4 the intalation on the intake i have.
and at idle it seems to momentarily like to "chill" and 400rpms. but will correct it self at the next stop.
again no noise beside it sounding like it doesn't want to be one, almost like low on fuel which i kno is not the case.
i kno this is probably due to fuel injectors but just courious.

i do plan on going in and having a tune up since i don't know when the last was really done on it. i plan on modifications in both power and handling. but my first goal is to fix what is wrong with it by either buying oem parts or upgrades...

sorry its alot but thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
01Saab 93SE&00 Camry
20 Posts
so this site is sweet but let me get down to the goods.

i have a 99 XLE(auto v6 power everything lame... somethimes lol), and a college student who works a crap job so lately i've turned into a major DIY guy.
Lol I def. feel you on that one

question 2
as i drive i feel a slight thump on my passenger side that seems to increase with speed. i've check rotated and balenced the tires and the feeling doesn't seem to let up.i have a strong feeling it could be one of the bearing in my CV joint, but after recently checking for a suspension upgrade i noticed my control arms rubber brushings are becoming warn out. the feeling is most apparent while in a long left lean, not so much a turn. there is a sweet spot where it doesn't have a problem but thats with a right lean.
i should also mention i recently discovered my CV boot on my driver side is torn, and i'm planning on buying a new axle as soon as i can. the boot on the passenger side seems to be fine and in good condition.
Check your passenger side strut/shock.

question 3
starting car and at idle
ok, so recently i've notice my car doesn't seem to fire on all six cylinders all the time, and some times it wont hold an idle w/o throttle after i stop it and turn it on quickly.
there is any noise when it doesn this other than it sounds like i'm turning the car off. it just doesn't hold an idle. this started b4 the intalation on the intake i have.
and at idle it seems to momentarily like to "chill" and 400rpms. but will correct it self at the next stop.
again no noise beside it sounding like it doesn't want to be one, almost like low on fuel which i kno is not the case.
i kno this is probably due to fuel injectors but just courious.

Not sure about this one, could be as simple as a PCV valve IMO, though, if it was misfiring i think OBDII would give you a CEL and codes. Might just need a good tune up, good spark plugs (platinum NGKs are awesome), PCV valve, basically some TLC.
My responses are based on my prior knowledge and experiences with other cars....I just recently got a toyota in the family when my grandfather got an 00 Camry two days ago, so I am not familiar with the specifics of toyotas yet.

·
a family car
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, kinda figured that too.

DRL's:
i have them, and i don't want them.
they've been convenient driving home a little tipsy,
but since i've quit i relized i really dont' like not being able to control them
was to be able to turn my lights on and off manually at any time.
so if its as easy as cutting/ grounding a wire please help! thnx ;-)

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
question 1 & 3 are prolly connected. im having similar codes myself and the culprit seems to be the VSV, ERG sensor or the EGR valve. mine is lookin like the VSV is keeping the EGR valve open at low rpms and causing too much spent gas to enter the cylinders. in turn its causing the motor to hesitate, idle rough at low rpms and start rough.

:welcome:

·
a family car
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, it wouldn't surprise me if they are. and i'm going to try and changing the vacuum tube today, hopefully it works.

·
a family car
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, so i switched the vacuum tube that connects my vsv to my egr(the one that was cracked) drove it around and no light. pumped gas, and i wasn't surprised but the light turned back on... hmm

·
a family car
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i don't want to seem like i'm talking to my self, but it seems so.
i checked the toyota dealer near me and the "master" auto mechanic told me to check my
egr modulator, then i had to educated/ remind him i don't have one, unlike most cars.
he then remembered i had the V6 and told me to change my actual
EGR valve

2-10mm bolts disconnect it from the up pipe from the exhaust
2-10mm bolts disconnects it from the throttle body...

hmm busy weekend ahead.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
yup...don't know if you have yet or not, but clean the valve out first and remove any carbon. it may solve your problem. it's worth a try before going out and buying a new one.

·
a family car
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
lol, just did that today... took about 2hours of good solid removal, clean, and reinstall. i actually feels like its running better, as in i may be getting a tad bit of more power because the deposits where measurable with a ruler, and the throttle body side of the egr is a nice shiny aluminum. something tell me, however, the pin in the valve is the problem. the spring still has a bit of tesion, but i haven't checked the egr thermostat, which i thought about after i put the whole back together... the light turned back on :-/ but it was a good day workin on it... tomorrow is more time though, and a sedan meet :)

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
yup yup...one thing at a time...but if the pin sticks, then you'll probably have to replace it.

if you get lucky, a junkyard one will suffice. if not, it's never a bad idea to get a new one despite costs just to skip the headaches

·
a family car
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea totally... i plan on doing a good tune up this weekend.
throttle body cleaning, spark plugs, oil change, tranny flush
i've also noticed since the egr cleaning, my car starts and runs fine :)
no more low idling!
but yea... i'll get back on how everything works this weekend.
thnx guys!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a I4 '99 camry which has a similar problem... acceleration is shit (very hesistant till abt 2500 rpm n then jumps)... used to get great mileage n that down. My car makes a whistling sound when its running at a constant speed and usually in slow acceleration. I had my egr valve changed made no difference check engine light still thr reading P0406 and P0401. One mechanic told me it was my charcoal canister leaking and probably the VSV because of that same reason. I was wandering if anybody has had a similar experience cuz the whistling is driving me crazy

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a I4 '99 camry which has a similar problem... acceleration is shit (very hesistant till abt 2500 rpm n then jumps)... used to get great mileage n that down. My car makes a whistling sound when its running at a constant speed and usually in slow acceleration. I had my egr valve changed made no difference check engine light still thr reading P0406 and P0401. One mechanic told me it was my charcoal canister leaking and probably the VSV because of that same reason. I was wandering if anybody has had a similar experience cuz the whistling is driving me crazy
no idea as to what the whistling noise could be... however i myself have a 96 Camry LE I4 with a CEL on, and i brought it to Toyota who gave me the report on a piece of paper saying the same thing; Shift Solenoid E... My mechanic said he replaced 3 solenoids and that still didnt solve the problem. He then got a new 'computer' for my car and installed it yesterday. That didnt help either. I do get a rough idle here and there too, and the problem is not PVC related because I changed a couple vacuum hoses that were leaking. He said he 'thinks he found the problem' and ordered a new 'part' yesterday and he said he'd be getting it in this morning. I have to call him soon actually. I'll let you all know what the outcome of this is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts