Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys and gals!
Im on the verge of taking delivery of a 1990 MR2 series 2. It is a bit of a weird one though! The car was brand new supplied here in Australia as a non Turbo model and in 2001 it had all the turbo goodies added and has been thru the local compliance testing and inspection and it has a blue compliance plate to confirm that the installation was done correctly. Now I'm assuming that it has the CT-26 turbo fitted to the engine and if this is the case I have the following questions.......

1. Does the CT-26 have an external wastegate which can be changed?

2. Do I need to change the wastegate to run higher boost pressures? (I'm aiming for about 16 psi)

3. Is changing the intercooler a nightmare of a job?

4. Is a cone filter better than a panel one and if so which cone filter would be the best investment?

5. Which kind of exhaust system would benefit the mods I'm looking to do to the car (Wastegate, EBC, Intercooler).

Thanks for checking this post out and if you have any help or suggestions I would be really grateful! Top site by the way!

Craig

·
Registered
280 Posts
1. CT26 is usually internal wastegate.
2. You can run 15-16 psi. You will need fresh ignition components, fcd, boost gauge, and boost controller...maybe even an aftermarket intercooler.
3. No
4. Cone is better but gain is very small...2-3hp
5. The best exhaust is the less restrictive...gutted cat and no muffler.

Go to mr2oc.com, there are more info there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
1. Already answered
2. No you do not, in fact its recommended not to change the stock wastegate at all, unless its needing repair. Read this:
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/bov.htm
3. Nope
4. The Apexi Intake is proven to show the highest gains (which arent much over others) and the MOST filtration. But the K&N and HKS are carb legal.
5. A full exhaust system with downpipe would be smart. Best on the market for the MR2 Turbo is KO Racing's TKO Exhaust.

As recommended, please go to the MR2OC 3S-GTE MKII section and read the thread called "Turbo Dont's"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow! thanks for the swift replies and the info! I will start looking at all these now!!

Keep up the good work guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts