Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I traded in my 2007 Prius yesterday. Didn’t really need a car because the Prius has been excellent but was being spontaneous. Did the test drive and everything but didn’t really notice ice this until I got home and wanted to know if this is normal since I don’t know anything about the suv hybrids. Only in Reverse there is an obvious and somewhat loud whining noise. It sounds like it’s coming from the engine. I have to take the car back next week for Ziebart treatment but wanted to know if this was normal or should I be concerned? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2019 Avalon Limited, Advanced Safety Package, BlackVue DR-750 Dash Cam, Ceramic Pro Coating, XPel
998 Posts
It's our Federal Governments requirement that relatively silent Hybrids make nasty noises when in reverse, so people that you might back up and over, hear you coming. Normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The feds requirement was to require manufacturers to install backup cameras on vehicles to prevent the accidents not making the vehicle engine loud or make noise. I’m t convinced this is normal. It’s going in next week so I will get it checked. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2019 Avalon Limited, Advanced Safety Package, BlackVue DR-750 Dash Cam, Ceramic Pro Coating, XPel
998 Posts
The feds requirement was to require manufacturers to install backup cameras on vehicles to prevent the accidents not making the vehicle engine loud or make noise. I’m t convinced this is normal. It’s going in next week so I will get it checked. Thanks.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Toyota HVs have had the proximity alert for many years, the video was published in 2011, our '15 Prius and '16 Rav4 HV had it. The Venza HV alert is much more obvious than either of those and our '18 Prius Prime, I could only hear the older vehicle alerts when outside the vehicles, but I can hear the Venza very well when driving at low speeds even without my hearing aids.

·
Registered
418 Posts
...Only in Reverse there is an obvious and somewhat loud whining noise. It sounds like it’s coming from the engine...
It's not a malfunction, it's the "Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System" (see AVAS snipped from Venza manual below). There is a speaker at the front of the vehicle that makes that sound whenever you are driving with the ICE off (EV mode). The sound is always being emitted when in EV mode and in R or D (even when stopped in traffic). They make the volume several times louder when in reverse (since the speaker is in front) and it also changes volume and pitch slightly with speed when driving forward.

It is now a federally mandated requirement (in the US) to have a pedestrian warning sound whenever an EV vehicle is traveling below 19mph. The NHTSA issued the ruling in Feb 2018 and required full compliance for all EV vehicles built after Sept 2020.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Surprised me too, thought it was part of the hybrid weirdness until it was explained to me. (actually, it IS part of the hybrid weirdness, just artificial weirdness!).

Was driving slowly through my neighborhood yesterday and a guy walking his dog noticed it and looked over a bit puzzled. Gotta admit it's kind of fun driving a spaceship.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I traded in my 2007 Prius yesterday. Didn’t really need a car because the Prius has been excellent but was being spontaneous. Did the test drive and everything but didn’t really notice ice this until I got home and wanted to know if this is normal since I don’t know anything about the suv hybrids. Only in Reverse there is an obvious and somewhat loud whining noise. It sounds like it’s coming from the engine. I have to take the car back next week for Ziebart treatment but wanted to know if this was normal or should I be concerned? Thanks!
Dealer told me that is to let people know you are there since the car would be silent otherwise and no, you can’t turn it down. It sounds like a spaceship so I am backing into the driveway so when I leave on the morning it won’t bother anyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife absolutely HATES the noise! Exactly where is the speaker? What does it look like? Just curious. ;-). We know of no other vehicle that emits such a loud, grating, and obnoxious noise. And Toyota says they cannot adjust it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife absolutely HATES the noise! Exactly where is the speaker? What does it look like? Just curious. ;-). We know of no other vehicle that emits such a loud, grating, and obnoxious noise. And Toyota says they cannot adjust it.
It's located between the grill and the radiator, in the middle of the two horn "speakers".

·
Registered
983 Posts
Here's a lengthy discussion on eliminating the "Choir of Angels" proximity alert device on the 5th gen Rav4 HVs.

·
Registered
356 Posts
U.S. approved legislation in December 2010. The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued its final ruling in February 2018, and requires the device to emit warning sounds when travelling at speeds less than 18.6 mph (30 km/h) with compliance by September 2020, but 50% of "quiet" vehicles must have the warning sounds by September 2019

·
Registered
867 Posts
I hardly notice it. My windows are usually up, so I’m sure it sounds louder outside the vehicle, which is the point.

The Nissan Leaf has a warning in reverse that sounds more like a truck backing up. I actually like it better since it’s more noticeable.

Disabling it because you don’t like it seems like a bad idea…liability aside, I’d rather be a little irritated for a few seconds by the sound than cause injury to someone.

Reactions: cb91710

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,929 Posts
You also cannot unplug it... it'll throw a code indicating a malfunction in the hybrid system and tell you to visit your dealer.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,929 Posts
U.S. approved legislation in December 2010. The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued its final ruling in February 2018, and requires the device to emit warning sounds when travelling at speeds less than 18.6 mph (30 km/h) with compliance by September 2020, but 50% of "quiet" vehicles must have the warning sounds by September 2019
And given that it is a factory safety feature, I wouldn't want to have it disabled when someone decides to jump in front of my car in a parking lot.
Personal injury attorney will eat you alive.... and some have people actively looking for unsuspecting "victims"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts