Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
What if a fuse blows? Like water from the recent storm got in the circuit for the noise maker. Who's "fault" is that?
No different than if a fuse blows and your brake lights don’t work.

I’m not a legal expert, but my take would be: as the operator of the vehicle, you’re ultimately responsible for ensuring that your safety equipment is working when you operate your vehicle.

Reactions: cb91710

·
Registered
15 Posts
OTOH can you cite one credible report of someone being sued because their vehicle couldn't be heard? I think the number of cases is close to zero.
You can get sued for causing a crash due to faulty headlight, blinkers, taillights etc, this would be exactly like that. If you turn off the noise, and hit a pedestrian, you will lose the case if they sue you, even more so since there is a law that states hybrids must make noise to be "visible". As the operator of the vehicle, you are responsible for the equipment that makes the vehicle visible. So if it gets wets, or blows a fuse, you will still be responsible.

·
Registered
867 Posts
OTOH can you cite one credible report of someone being sued because their vehicle couldn't be heard? I think the number of cases is close to zero.
While hitting a pedestrian in any vehicle has legal ramifications, there are law firms out there looking for EV-related pedestrian accidents. These are just a couple that use SEO and "informational articles" to catch anyone Googling certain terms.

Interestingly, regardless of whether you have a noise-making devices, one of the law firm positions that hybrid/EV drivers have a "duty of care to be super-vigilant when cruising in metropolitan areas with heavy pedestrian movement" and, "If motorists know their later model hybrid vehicle does not carry audible alert systems, they’ll breach their duty of care if they unreasonably navigate in hybrid mode through crowds of people or near cyclist without giving signs of their presence."

I'd suspect that in the event that you are sued by a pedestrian that you hit and there's evidence that you intentionally defeated the noise-making safety feature, that'd be one of these lawyer's dream case.

Granted, this is all legal positioning and not actual court cases.

For me, I'm in reverse (where the noise is the most obvious) for about 30 seconds a day. If the noise-maker helps prevent injury to someone, then that's a small sacrifice to make.

Reactions: cb91710

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got the Toyota 2021 Venza, and I am having a hard time turning off the beeping noises for the buttons below the screen. I have turned off the beeping on the touchscreen, however when I press the volume temperature, fan buttons, it still continues to make that annoying beeping noise. has anyone found a way to turn this off??

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just got the Toyota 2021 Venza, and I am having a hard time turning off the beeping noises for the buttons below the screen. I have turned off the beeping on the touchscreen, however when I press the volume temperature, fan buttons, it still continues to make that annoying beeping noise. has anyone found a way to turn this off??
Answer is in this thread.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts